Sponsored

Will The XLT Hybrid hold better value than the AWD?

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You want to tell people that getting an EV will quadruple your home electric usage. Good for you.

@TheGriffin1313 wants to tell people the current supply chain issues are fabricated. Good for him.

I want to tell people they should be skeptical of such claims. So... good for me, right?
Captain obvious and replies answered to questions asked.
What gives?
Sponsored

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My opinion is to buy whatever fits your needs currently. The hybrid is cheaper than the gas which already saves money. I would however search the marketplace for anything out now that is offered hybrid & non-hybrid (like fusion or others) and what I see out now that hybrid are worth less and costs more to buy in the first place. Who knows what will happen in the future though.

OP
OP
RadioSousSol

RadioSousSol

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.radiosoussol.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have read some good answers.

But what if Ford gives us a Maverick AWD hybrid version really soon?

That would definitely kill the FWD hybrid value for sure…

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The large majority of drivers, including in snow country (where I live), still drive vehicles with 2 drive wheels. I'd bet the introduction of an AWD hybrid Maverick would do the same thing to the FWD version as the introduction of the AWD prius did to the resale of the FWD prius: nothing.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm wondering....

A truck should should at least have those 2 advantages :

1 - Towing capacity
2 - 4x4 or AWD

It's not the case for the hybrid version...

Only 2k towing and CVT front wheel drive.

But there I am looking to buy the Hybrid version. I have to say that I live in (North) Canada where the winters are crazy and I don't tow much.

So, am I crazy to look into the Hybrid version???

In my country, will it hold it's value???

They say that Hybrid and Electric cars are the futur! But is it a bad idea to buy an hybrid truck with no AWD and only 2k towing capacity???
Now that the hybrid is sold out, my bet is price will go up with supply chain issues and magnesium shortage. My dealer told me he has 80+ hybrid orders and only 5-6 ecos.

Besides being a MUCH shorter wait, the eco is actually a better choice if it is mostly for road trips. Hwy mpg is not much different even with 250 horses, more fun to drive in sport mode, safer passing, more towing with 4k, safer in bad weather, and best of all - not forced to chain up with AWD in the snow.

Sponsored

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
I'm wondering....

1 - Towing capacity
2 - 4x4 or AWD

But there I am looking to buy the Hybrid version. I have to say that I live in (North) Canada where the winters are crazy and I don't tow much.

They say that Hybrid and Electric cars are the futur! But is it a bad idea to buy an hybrid truck with no AWD and only 2k towing capacity???
Only you, the purchaser, can identify the weight of your decision making criteria.
This is one thing that makes this truck so cool, it has polar opposite offerings which attract polar opposite buyers with polar opposite criteria.
Affordable hybrid, or turbo AWD luxury.
But your question and concern revolves around your return when you are done with it.
So consider these thoughts:
1) All vehicles are depreciating assets. Meaning they continually lose value as they age (For this conversation the age of the collector car is over, and Maverick will never be a limited production classic). Or, in simpler words, you are going to take a hit any way you carve it.
2) We cannot be sure historical beliefs and calculations of resale value will hold true. The rapid shift of all major manufacturers to EV’s has yet to play out, and the speed of conversion let alone the success of it (manufacturers surviving) is known. This could help, or hinder either platform and from a little to a lot.
3) The pandemic’s impact on supply chains has temporarily inflated used vehicle values. When production catches up, and it will, all that depreciation on resale valuation will catch up with it. High resale today really doesn’t mean squat unless you are selling without replacement, and using it to gage tomorrows return is short sighted.
4) Whatever vehicle you wind up with has to do the job you bought if for. Buying a hammer when you need a screwdriver because it was cheaper serves no purpose other than insanity.
5) As a Canadian I would be more concerned with what the dollar will be worth down the road than the truck.

So you’re back to the old question of are you willing to pay for what you need and do you know what that is?
Cost…
Now, later…semantics, life is too short.

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You should not look at the resale value only. Consider how many years you plan to keep the vehicle and also include the saving in gas and maintenance.
I don't see any reference to the saving for reduced discs and break pads for the hybrid. Maybe is $1k in 100.000 miles (someone can do so real math here)
get some winter tires and you will be safe in most winter conditions.
having said that for me the biggest risk to any used vehicle value is the combination of EV incentives and a much larger pool of EV to choose from.
I would get rid of my future hybrid maverick in an heart beat for a full electric small truck or utility vehicle.

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The game changer could be the Maverick Plug in or all electric coming out at an affordable price. Our Mavericks could be relics in a hurry.
The federal and state rebate would be nice too…I think it’s roughly 8k between the two.

FriarPop

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm wondering....

1 - Towing capacity
2 - 4x4 or AWD

They say that Hybrid and Electric cars are the future! But is it a bad idea to buy an hybrid truck with no AWD and only 2k towing capacity???
no, hybrids age poorly because batteries are expensive to fix, and dont age well unlike a ecoboost car with low mileage, hybrid cars with batteries still degrade over time even with low mileage due static discharge and temperature cycles. Also KBB will depreciate based on the MSRP and will price it below AWD since AWD costs more.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Not really as the hybrid is in such demand. I know that the local Oriellys have ordered TONS of them. They will always do that keeping demand high and supply low. The AWD Hybrid will be just a double whammy.

Sponsored

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry that this doesn't directly answer your question, but I'll just add here that anyone who intends on ever selling their Maverick and decided to forego the $100 hitch just nuked their resale value (5 years from now, when supply is caught up of course)

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I expect the hybrid to hold its value very well while they are in short supply. When there are millions of them on the road they are still going to be cheap, reliable, versatile transportation for a huge market.

People who tow big trailers and need four wheel drive are a much smaller market and the vehicles are much more expensive to own. Put new AT tires on a 4 wheel truck and you will know what I mean. I'm betting that this is the cheapest reliable transportation in the market right now. That includes used cars.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw the YouTube guy Ford Maverick Maniac who ordered one of each because of their different capabilities and price. Makes sense.

NOLAguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I disagree with the original premise, but you stated a truck should have towing capacity, it does, (you didnt say how much). A truck should have a bed and 4 wheels, thats it, check and check.

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
values of BOTH of them will still be very good....but the 10 MPG MORE with the hybrid makes it a no brainer for me...as long as I don't have to tow 3-4,000 pounds.
Sponsored