Sponsored

Will The XLT Hybrid hold better value than the AWD?

RadioSousSol

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.radiosoussol.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm wondering....

A truck should should at least have those 2 advantages :

1 - Towing capacity
2 - 4x4 or AWD

It's not the case for the hybrid version...

Only 2k towing and CVT front wheel drive.

But there I am looking to buy the Hybrid version. I have to say that I live in (North) Canada where the winters are crazy and I don't tow much.

So, am I crazy to look into the Hybrid version???

In my country, will it hold it's value???

They say that Hybrid and Electric cars are the futur! But is it a bad idea to buy an hybrid truck with no AWD and only 2k towing capacity???
Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMO, it will hold it's value. I think the mechanical parts if the hybrid have potential to last longer and cost less to own than the EB parts. That being said, will it hold value? 🤷‍♂️ Time will tell.

Any similar vehicles to compare it to? Maybe you could find a used FWD escape? although, right now, any lemon is holding value.

Last edited:

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm wondering....

1 - Towing capacity
2 - 4x4 or AWD

It's not the case for the hybrid version...

Only 2k towing and CVT front wheel drive.

But there I am looking to buy the Hybrid version. I have to say that I live in (North) Canada where the winters are crazy and I don't tow much.

So, am I crazy to look into the Hybrid version???

In my country, will it hold it's value???

They say that Hybrid and Electric cars are the futur! But is it a bad idea to buy an hybrid truck with no AWD and only 2k towing capacity???
Not sure anyone would buy a FWD hybrid for towing. Why? For me just to have a little truck bed. Carry 4 people on occasion. Get decent fuel economy. Oh and Mavericks look nice.

If I wanna tow Im buying a F150 of F350 as an example.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Plenty of people buy trucks without either of those concerns. You’re also not considering the fact that before now no one looked at trucks for fuel economy.

Will it hold value? Depends on what level of depreciation your acceptable with. Current times aside cars depreciate with time and miles. If the new price stays relatively low 40-60 percent deprecation in 5 years. Anyone paying over MSRP is just burning that cash. If prices rise considerably that number could drop to 30-50 percent. Likely won’t be a great resell value and not nearly as good as Toyota.

Don’t fixate on reselling the Maverick but worry about your experience. Know you will drive it into the ground and get pennies on the dollar back. Generally the older cars get the closer they get in resell value. Additionally, keeping them longer will save you more money than buying new again and again. My 2011 Prius is worth $7-8 k while a Ford Escape with similar miles is $6-7k.

Max depreciation is 100 percent, which for my truck would be $24k. That is so cheap that any resell value after 10-15 years of ownership will be gravy.

Last edited:

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I mean, it depends on how much gas ends up costing when it comes time to sell it.

Sponsored

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My opinion is there is an A$$ for every seat ... hard core towing the hybrid is not your choice ,but in warm weather climate (no snow and ice) ,For a guy who has a little skiff for fishing and just wants to tow a 14 to 17 foot skiff like a million guys down here in Florida, the Hybrid with 2k tow capacity front wheel drive is perfect ,I ordered the eco boost AWD I wanted the AWD and more power I hit the beaches surf fishing and just wanted the AWD capability. (and didnt want to wait as long). But that hybrid will tow . It depends on the individual and what they want to use it for. The hybrid sips fuel and IMHO you are not seeing $2 gas for a long time under the current situation. I think we could see $4 plus long before $2 so that Hybrid certainly has a lot of attraction. As far as Value ,I dont think the eco boost is any less valuable than the hybrid. there are people who want power and AWD. My dealer tells me here in Florida the vehicle in the highest demand Is the ford 350 super duty:) go figure

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The whole idea behind the Maverick, especially the hybrid version, is that it does not appeal to typical "truck" buyers. So any comparison of that nature is likely pointless.

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

my thought, if you buy a hybrid for sub 20k and the battery lasts about 8 years and assume average annual millage of 12k thus (100k) at the time of battery replacement.

Will the truck hold enough value to justify the battery replacement cost? The question to ask Ford is what is the replacement cost of the hybrid battery?

estimated 8 year truck with 100k with a MSRP of 19.9k would be worth roughly 5k ish….

conclusion..if the cost of the battery replacement exceeds the value of truck that would make the resell value low.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The game changer could be the Maverick Plug in or all electric coming out at an affordable price. Our Mavericks could be relics in a hurry.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don’t think about any of that Since I plan on keeping mine for awhile. I just smile every time I drive mine. Thrilled to have my Maverick

Last edited:
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

my thought, if you buy a hybrid for sub 20k and the battery lasts about 8 years and assume average annual millage of 12k thus (100k) at the time of battery replacement.

Will the truck hold enough value to justify the battery replacement cost? The question to ask Ford is what is the replacement cost of the hybrid battery?

estimated 8 year truck with 100k with a MSRP of 19.9k would be worth roughly 5k ish….

conclusion..if the cost of the battery replacement exceeds the value of truck that would make the resell value low.
What makes you think the battery will only last 8 years? They are warrantied that long, doesn't mean they will die at 7 years and 364 days. Plenty of hybrids on the road older than that with original batteries. The average life span should be 10-15 years for these batteries. Got over 150k miles on my 2008 Camry Hybrids original battery (vehicle was built in August 2007), and it is still chugging along. Plenty of Toyota Hybrids out there with over 200k miles on them. The 1.1-1.5kw batteries usually cost $5-10k depending on the chemistry of the battery, and how new the vehicle is. If it dies under warranty, it's not the owners problem.

As to whether it's worth replacing, that is up to the owner. A $5-8k battery is a lot cheaper than a $19-30k new vehicle. There is more to absolute value than just resale value. Usability is a value in and of itself.

The game changer could be the Maverick Plug in or all electric coming out at an affordable price. Our Mavericks could be relics in a hurry.
RAV4 Hybrids value didn't tank when the RAV4 Prime came out, so I don't see it causing a huge drop in value. A Maverick Plug in will cost significantly more than the standard hybrid. A full electric might, but that again would be a big price bump. You'd be looking at a $40-60k price tag for a full electric.

Last edited:

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

What makes you think the battery will only last 8 years? They are warrantied that long, doesn't mean they will die at 7 years and 364 days. Plenty of hybrids on the road older than that with original batteries. The average life span should be 10-15 years for these batteries. Got over 150k miles on my 2008 Camry Hybrids original battery (vehicle was built in August 2007), and it is still chugging along. Plenty of Toyota Hybrids out there with over 200k miles on them. The 1.1-1.5kw batteries usually cost $5-10k depending on the chemistry of the battery, and how new the vehicle is. If it dies under warranty, it's not the owners problem.

As to whether it's worth replacing, that is up to the owner. A $5-8k battery is a lot cheaper than a $19-30k new vehicle. There is more to absolute value than just resale value. Usability is a value in and of itself.

RAV4 Hybrids value didn't tank when the RAV4 Prime came out, so I don't see it causing a huge drop in value. A Maverick Plug in will cost significantly more than the standard hybrid. A full electric might, but that again would be a big price bump. You'd be looking at a $40-60k price tag for a full electric.
your numbers are pretty extreme, but they can be easily used to determine the correct course of action.

scenario number one
if the 2wd with cost you 30k(wow salesman must have liked you), you get 200k miles, replacement Battery is 35k. What a deal… at this point you still will have 15 year, 200k, truck with a new batter. Still upside down…

scenario number two
you pay 20k ( much more realistic with the options discussed in this tread) the battery replacement is 10k Per your thread the 15 year vehicle is still only worth est 3k to 5k plus the cost of the new $10k battery. I would love to meet the potential buyers that would pay 15k for a 15 year old vehicle that has 200k rather vs buying a brand new 20k truck.

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure anyone would buy a FWD hybrid for towing. Why? For me just to have a little truck bed. Carry 4 people on occasion. Get decent fuel economy. Oh and Mavericks look nice.

If I wanna tow Im buying a F150 of F350 as an example.
I’ll be towing my 4’X8’ trailer with the Road Glide on it and have my weekend trip gear in the bed. Will be perfect for my needs. Don’t need the EB or AWD.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The whole idea behind the Maverick, especially the hybrid version, is that it does not appeal to typical "truck" buyers. So any comparison of that nature is likely pointless.
Agreed, I don't like trucks & I don't need a truck, but the Maverick changed the whole game for me. Its the type of vehicle I have been wishing for since the early 90's.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will The XLT Hybrid hold better value than the AWD?
Simple... Because there are only two possible answers:

"Yes" and "No"

But that's enough for now. I'll let you know which one is correct in a few years.
Sponsored