Sponsored

Will 4K tow package option affect fuel efficiency on AWD?

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am near 7k miles on my AWD with 4k. City mileage if you spend time at lights is really bad, 15-20, but that is expected when I sit as much as drive. ( this is with being easy on the pedal and watching the mpg meter) This is the main reason I am looking forward to my Hybrid.

Country roads, highways, less dense city's, if you don't hammer on the gas expect high 20's low 30's.
I recently drove from Texas to Virginia and back, and in Texas spent times at 80+ mph and still got in the 30's. If I didn't live right in the middle of a zillion stop lights in a largish medium city, I would be content with the gas engine.
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With the 4K package and 15k+ miles on my truck so far I consistently average 29 - 30 MPG on mixed driving during the warmer parts of the year and 31 - 33 MPG hwy thus far both with the eco drive mode set. This is up in the mountains, if I get down to flat land the MPG goes up by at least 1 MPG. I don't do city driving so nothing to report on that. For towing the max I've done is the bed loaded with at least 1000 lbs along with the trailer hooked up and total towing weight of around 3500 lbs and still managed around 17 MPG using the tow haul mode.

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
4k tow

Bulk of my driving is city - occasionally idling while eating lunch.

getting avg 20mpg with a somewhat light foot.

i see 30mpg highway

zakstang

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im seeing 30-32mpg highway at 65-67mph --avg 27-28mpg per tank 50/50 highway/city driving

i just towed my rzr570 back from cabin on a 5x8 utility trailer on back country rds (2lane/through small towns etc) and got 22mpg with fully loaded truck (three people/gear)....I also get 22-23mpg towing my 15' fishing boat....

im very pleased with my mpg with this truck....

Redskinman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So theoretically could I just put a transmission cooler on the 2K eco-boost and have 4K tow capability?

Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So theoretically could I just put a transmission cooler on the 2K eco-boost and have 4K tow capability?
No, since the 4k package also changes the gear ratio, changes the radiator (and radiator fan), adds a 7 pin connector, and adds a trailer brake controller. Some of those you could do on your own, some would be much more costly. This also assumes your "2K eco-boost" has a trailer hitch already. If you need to add one of those, another cost/hassle.

jmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The upgraded final gear ratio will negatively impact highway mileage, slightly.
It will but I am guessing it will be negligible. Add in different conditions like headwinds, hills, higher elevations, and cargo load it could be an advantage because the engine will require less throttle to maintain speeds/avoid shifting down, etc. If you are thinking of adding larger wheels/tires it could also be advantageous.

jmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, you would just have part of the package. Don't do this and think you will have better mileage and still be able to tow at 4K. I never towed super heavy but I regretted not getting the tow package on one of my suburbans even on the days I did not tow.

Redskinman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, you would just have part of the package. Don't do this and think you will have better mileage and still be able to tow at 4K. I never towed super heavy but I regretted not getting the tow package on one of my suburbans even on the days I did not tow.
I'm not worried about mileage, I have a trailer that with my atv on it is 2300 lbs,so ..........

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A little over 17,000 I'll average a little over 32 with highway/dirt roads using 87. Sometimes I'll get 35 or more

Sponsored

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder what the fuel efficiency impact will be if I added the 4K tow package to the AWD system. I assume the increased towing capacity of the 4K tow package is being achieved by using a shorter final drive ratio. If that's the case, there will be an efficiency hit at higher speeds, won't there? Although at fist glance it sounds appealing to double the towing capacity for under $800, but the appeal of the Maverick to me is partly its fuel efficiency. If the AWD's fuel efficiency is affected by the 4K tow package, then I might as well stick with a 4WD Ranger if I really want the larger towing capacity.
Then you'll take a 7 mpg hit and a $11k hit too. $11k buys a nice little used camper to haul behind the Mav😉

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Towing 12mpg 15 of your lucky tow haul.mode burns fuel. Added toyo at 3 tires 235 lost about 1 mpg added a canopy lost 1.5 more mpg. Added a sst lift 1.5 inches higher lost another mpg so instead of 31 mpg I get 27 mpg. There are issues with the rear unit in 4k tow packages. I got a ptu issuse at the start it spits fluid out of the differential breather tube if I use mud and ruts gets hot fast
Sponsored