Sponsored

Will 4K tow package option affect fuel efficiency on AWD?

Salwans

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Audi A4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder what the fuel efficiency impact will be if I added the 4K tow package to the AWD system. I assume the increased towing capacity of the 4K tow package is being achieved by using a shorter final drive ratio. If that's the case, there will be an efficiency hit at higher speeds, won't there? Although at fist glance it sounds appealing to double the towing capacity for under $800, but the appeal of the Maverick to me is partly its fuel efficiency. If the AWD's fuel efficiency is affected by the 4K tow package, then I might as well stick with a 4WD Ranger if I really want the larger towing capacity.
Sponsored

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been trying to find what they are adding for 4k towing package. If it is like most vehicles it is a bigger radiator and larger more efficient transmission/oil housing due to increase heat. Some will change the axle ratio but that shouldn't be with AWD

If it is just the radiator and oil/transmission housing it shouldn't affect it. Gear ratio will affect it some but not much due to the small size and weight of the Maverick to start.

Would be interesting if anyone else finds information.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
go here: https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/2022/

Select "build and price", enter basic info to select your configuration and look at the little (i) bubble on 4K tow package on front page. 2.0 w/AWD does indeed include "upgraded drive ratio (AWD)", along with larger radiator with fan, oil cooler and more. Builder also gives estimated MPG for each motor.

I'd expect maybe 1-2 MPG hit unloaded, but you probably won't really notice until you actually hang a trailer load out back...

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Drive ratio gets upgraded from 3.63s to 3.81s with the tow package. The badlands bronco sport has this exact drivetrain (including the ratio) so the MPG numbers of the bronco should give a very good idea of MPG of the Maverick 2.0 AWD with the tow package.

OP
OP

Salwans

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Audi A4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you zackmd1 for the drive ratio on the tow package. Badlands bronco sport indeed give a good idea of MPG of the Maverick 2.0 AWD with the tow package.

Sponsored

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Thank you zackmd1 for the drive ratio on the tow package. Badlands bronco sport indeed give a good idea of MPG of the Maverick 2.0 AWD with the tow package.
I would expect the maverick to be more efficient than the bronco sport, I would bet that the fx4 affects mileage more, with a higher profile and tires with higher rolling resistance.

montyxc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
From here: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...22/maverick/pdf/Maverick-Trim-Comparisons.pdf

• 4K Tow Package (requires gas engine):
  • 225/65R17 all-terrain tires (FWD XL/XLT)
  • 225/65R17 BSW all-season tires (AWD XL/XLT)
  • 225/60R18 BSW all-season tires (LARIAT)
  • trailer brake controller
  • trailer hitch receiver with 7-pin wiring harness
  • transmission oil cooler
  • higher-capacity radiator
  • upgraded cooling fan
  • upgraded drive ratio (AWD)
  • (optional 17" wheels on XLT/LARIAT include 235/65R17
  • aggressive all-terrain tires)

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For what its worth overall I'm at 21mpg in my ranger fx4, but in the summer on the highway I will get 25-26. I would expect to see probably 2mpg better with the Maverick. The power to weight on the Maverick actually comes out slightly ahead, so it should have quite a lot of fun factor...with an aftermarket tune it will be even more fun (actually I'd expect Ford will likely have an official tune very quickly, the Ranger's was out within a year of release).

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

For what its worth overall I'm at 21mpg in my ranger fx4, but in the summer on the highway I will get 25-26. I would expect to see probably 2mpg better with the Maverick. The power to weight on the Maverick actually comes out slightly ahead, so it should have quite a lot of fun factor...with an aftermarket tune it will be even more fun (actually I'd expect Ford will likely have an official tune very quickly, the Ranger's was out within a year of release).
I have been getting 31mpg with a 70% highway. I only have 400 miles on it so not a lot of testing. I expect a little better with some break in time. If I change out the scorpion for all terrain tires might drop 5 to 10%. I would assume with the gear ratio the none 4K would improve slightly.

I admit I haven’t driven it hard

Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From here: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/maverick/pdf/Maverick-Trim-Comparisons.pdf

• 4K Tow Package (requires gas engine):
  • trailer brake controller
  • trailer hitch receiver with 7-pin wiring harness
  • transmission oil cooler
  • higher-capacity radiator
  • upgraded cooling fan
  • upgraded drive ratio (AWD)
  • (optional 17" wheels on XLT/LARIAT include 235/65R17
  • aggressive all-terrain tires)
The upgraded final gear ratio will negatively impact highway mileage, slightly.

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder what the fuel efficiency impact will be if I added the 4K tow package to the AWD system. I assume the increased towing capacity of the 4K tow package is being achieved by using a shorter final drive ratio. If that's the case, there will be an efficiency hit at higher speeds, won't there? Although at fist glance it sounds appealing to double the towing capacity for under $800, but the appeal of the Maverick to me is partly its fuel efficiency. If the AWD's fuel efficiency is affected by the 4K tow package, then I might as well stick with a 4WD Ranger if I really want the larger towing capacity.
Short answer:
The fuel economy will be nearly identical with of without the tow package. Get it. :)

Long answer:
There are two differences with the tow package that will affect MPG: weight and drive ratio.
The bigger radiator (more fluid too) and additional trans cooler add weight. However, a passenger almost certainly weighs more than all that stuff, and doesn’t meaningfully affect your fuel economy.
If we assume the drive ratio is totally responsible for your MPG on the highway (and it isn’t) then you lose ~5% (3.63/3.81). That would mean worst case drop from 29mpg to 27.6mpg, but that is way too pessimistic. So many other things affect fuel economy that the drive ratio is just one part.
Now I move from math to guesswork…
Let’s say that the drive ratio is roughly 1/3 of what affects your MPG. In that case, the 4K tow package will cost you about 0.5mpg. To me, that is unimportant, especially compared to the capability gains.

I hope that helps. :)

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
  • (optional 17" wheels on XLT/LARIAT include 235/65R17 aggressive all-terrain tires)
No one's mentioned tires... A recent test showed that off-road tires have greater rolling resistance, the down-side of more-robust construction and thicker tread. It's likely that adding AT tires to your FX4 would make for a noticeable reduction in mileage.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Might as well quote myself because I was way off in a good way! You can see my current fuelly (After 3 fills), after 3rd fill I'm just below 28 - not babying but not gunning it everywhere either, I'd categorize my driving as 60/40 hwy/city. Extremely happy with the Maverick's efficiency so far.

I have been getting 31mpg with a 70% highway. I only have 400 miles on it so not a lot of testing. I expect a little better with some break in time. If I change out the scorpion for all terrain tires might drop 5 to 10%. I would assume with the gear ratio the none 4K would improve slightly.

I admit I haven’t driven it hard
I agree I expect it will get slightly better as well after break-in - if I end up averaging 28mpg overall calculated I will be over the moon. Even if it dropped to somewhere around 26mpg that is still about 30% better than my Ranger did over 14K miles (its on my fuelly retired vehicles, I think lifetime was like 20.6).

Grit

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick XLT
I can’t imagine anyone being unsatisfied with the fuel economy , I didn’t get many KM’s behind the wheel before a major component failure but did average 33MPG . Only had 590KM on it so I would expect it might have even improved
Sponsored