Sponsored

Why doesn’t Ford make a small/midsize diesel hybrid truck?

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Back in 2012, Volkswagen was developing a diesel hybrid that would do 200+mpg. The topic ran dead and people speculated it was killed by big oil. I was wondering if anyone knew why this market wasn’t being tapped themselves? I’d buy a maverick awd diesel hybrid with loads of torque with massive fuel economy. It would certainly outweigh the environmental impact of using diesel
Sponsored

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
EPA

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably because of cost (diesels are more expensive, would require DEF and particle filters), and it wouldn't gain much in terms of fuel economy.

The only benefit is it would be a torque monster. But that extra torque might exceed the limits of what the chassis could feasibly handle.

Also keep in mind the XL1 had the benefit of it being a light weight small aero car powered by a tiny engine, hence why it got high fuel economy numbers.

bomberxl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL, Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cost and complexity. Have you looked under the hood of a modern diesel? They're packed to the gills with emissions equipment and turbos.

Ford couldn't fit the battery in the engine bay with just a simple 4cyl gas engine.

Also have to consider diesel prices. Getting a few extra mpg doesn't make sense when you're paying more at the pump. Around here diesel has jumped 40-60 cents in the past month.

GM's 3.0l Duramax is a fantastic engine, but it'll be gone soon enough.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
combine 2 of the most useless, over-hyped technologies in 1 mass produced vehicle? Sure, who wouldn't love THAT! 🙃

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I lived in a diesel truck OTR for 2 years, you wont ever see me driving one, except for my 63 Ford 4000 front loader tractor that hasnt ran in 7 years. I have injested every automotive fluid and had em all in all of my face holes, but diesel is just the worst. Also as others said complex as hell to keep relatively clean and day by day the money doesnt always add up to any savings.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Diesel engines are a poor fit. They can't compete with the low-RPM torque of a motor, and can't make the high-RPM power needed to generate electricity for that motor.

Remember, gas engines have hit 40% efficiency; there's no gain to be had from all the diesel cost and weight. That's a poor fit.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No way would I EVER buy a hybrid diesel truck or car. Or for that matter a non-hybrid diesel truck or car. Most buyers would not think about diesel since the Maverick hybrid gets 42mpg is my guess.

mla_anderson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus SE Coupe, 22 F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hybrid and diesel just doesn't seem like a good match.

Electric motors have great low end torque and have little available power at high speeds. Gas engines are pretty much the opposite. So matching a gas engine with an electric motor means far better efficiency. Diesel motors generally have lower end torque, although not as low as electric, and are not as good at higher RPMs. So matching a diesel with an electric motor means you still concentrate power and torque at low RPMs.

Diesel engines also do best if run long and steady, they are not as good for short run times. So it is not as good to shut them off when electric power takes over. This means you lose some of the fuel efficiency benefits and probably erase the differences between gas and diesel.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree. There is a lot of misinformed people regarding non-commercial diesel engines in 2022. In Europe, this is a thing. The Mercedes diesel PHEV station wagon E glass gets over 60 mpg and it’s no small vehicle. Bring on the PowerStroke Hybrid Maverick (or Ranger). I’m all-in.

Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
it's not that makers haven't tried over and over, they just don't sell enough to cover the engineering costs. just this past week Jeep killed the Wrangler diesel.

Eber1988

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I could be wrong but I believe ford makes a diesel ranger but it is in South America.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Diesels are nightmares for smaller vehicles that don't need them. I'll stick with the Hybrid.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Back in 2012, Volkswagen was developing a diesel hybrid that would do 200+mpg. The topic ran dead and people speculated it was killed by big oil. I was wondering if anyone knew why this market wasn’t being tapped themselves? I’d buy a maverick awd diesel hybrid with loads of torque with massive fuel economy. It would certainly outweigh the environmental impact of using diesel
You can already have the torque with the electric motor.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Back in 2012, Volkswagen was developing a diesel hybrid that would do 200+mpg. The topic ran dead and people speculated it was killed by big oil.
Did they stash it in the same vault with the 50 MPG hot vapor carburetors and Brown's gas generators? I guess these days the big automotive companies fat oil companies payoffs just go to buying carbon credits from Tesla....
Sponsored