2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Blame the EPA

Cafe standards with the Maverick used as the primary example in YouTube video.
Sponsored

flynomore

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 F350, '15 Mazda 6,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Blame the EPA

Cafe standards with the Maverick used as the primary example in YouTube video.
No where does he guy in the video say anything about WHY the trucks are "mandated" to be bigger. Is it for safety reasons? I think he is full of shit.

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That Tax was about limiting imports. No reason the US auto companies can't make small trucks. Maybe something about possible EPA safety standards, but I have not found anything. US car/truck companies are under the illusion that everyone want big, they are wrong, hence the "almost" small Maverick and its popularity.
That "chicken" tax was to keep imported small trucks out of the US because US can manufactures could not compete in price with the imports. My point...make more actual "small" pickup trucks, like the size of small trucks in the 80's and make there here, in the US>If they were quality, maybe some or a lot Hybrid or full electric..they would sell.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Meverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hat Tax was about limiting imports. No reason the US auto companies can't make small trucks. Maybe something about possible EPA safety standards, but I have not found anything. US car/truck companies are under the illusion that everyone want big, they are wrong, hence the "almost" small Maverick and its popularity.
That "chicken" tax was to keep imported small trucks out of the US because US can manufactures could not compete in price with the imports. My point...make more actual "small" pickup trucks, like the size of small trucks in the 80's and make there here, in the US
The Chicken Tax did cause import brands to construct US Assembly Plants. Toyota in Kentucky and Nissan in Mississippi, Isuzu in Indiana, IIRC, and more. The problem is when they got here they turned trucks like the Frontier into Bluto-sized Canyonero land barges. Because, of course, "There's no market for small trucks."

It's amazing how many turn-of-the-century small Tacomas and Frontiers are still on the roads. I've kept my 'tiny' US-built 2000 $12,000 Frontier waiting for a return to sane-sized trucks for people like me who don't tow much, but need a truck bed several days a week. A Maverick will be a long-awaited upgrade.

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Chicken Tax did cause import brands to construct US Assembly Plants. Toyota in Kentucky and Nissan in Mississippi, Isuzu in Indiana, IIRC, and more. The problem is when they got here they turned trucks like the Frontier into Bluto-sized Canyonero land barges. Because, of course, "There's no market for small trucks."

It's amazing how many turn-of-the-century small Tacomas and Frontiers are still on the roads. I've kept my 'tiny' US-built 2000 $12,000 Frontier waiting for a return to sane-sized trucks for people like me who don't tow much, but need a truck bed several days a week. A Maverick will be a long-awaited upgrade.
yeah, agreed. I wish the Maverick had another option. 2 doors and a long bed, but dreaming, I know.
Sponsored