Sponsored

Where did you hide your Airtag, Smart Tag, etc in your Maverick?

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone know a good place to hide an tracking tag in the Maverick. Somewhere that is hard to find and still broadcast a signal.
I don't know. The way things are going in this country you'll probably be required to put a warning on the vehicle giving the location so you don't violate a car thief's rights.

Nomadikhan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Daytona Shelby Z, 07 Yaris, 22 Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No where. I turned the gps into f too. I don’t need anyone tracking my vehicles location and if I somehow forget where I put it then I need to stop driving.

Padre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Fr. Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT w/ Lux, CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not really needed as the Maverick has built in GPS tracking using the Ford Pass app.
this is basically the first thing thieves disable

TCPTX65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Buick Enclave
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Again, the AirTag will inform any iPhone in the vehicle that there is an AirTag traveling with them. I know this because I have one on my key ring and every time I am riding with a friend, their iPhone is notified of my AirTag. So, any thief with an iPhone will know it's there immediately due to the anti-stalking feature you cannot bypass.

And I doubt thieves are all Android users.
I don't know, those Android users seem kinda sketchy to me... :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

TCPTX65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Buick Enclave
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So, here's my two cents (I use Android so probably wouldn't use and Air Tag).

Drop the glove compartment and find a nook or cranny in there to put the air tag after you disable the speaker. Then if you're worried about a thief with an iPhone, put a second one with the speaker intact and "hide" it somewhere. Once they find it, they think the problem is solved and they stop looking, at least temporarily for air tags.

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Again, the AirTag will inform any iPhone in the vehicle that there is an AirTag traveling with them. I know this because I have one on my key ring and every time I am riding with a friend, their iPhone is notified of my AirTag. So, any thief with an iPhone will know it's there immediately due to the anti-stalking feature you cannot bypass.

And I doubt thieves are all Android users.

Yes, the thief will be alerted. Your job is to hide the airtag such that they cannot find it. That is the point of concealment and removing the speaker. And UWB precision location does not work so great with all that metal surrounding the transmitter.

Only a stupid thief is going to pull over on the side of the highway in the middle of their getaway to take apart a truck looking for an object the size of a quarter. So practically, the thief - once alerted - has to either abandon the truck or accept they are being tracked. I suppose the smartest of them may bring along a jammer to block airtag comms.

And if you are feeling splurgy ($40 instead of $20) - hide two of them. On the off chance they find the first one, it will be a while before they figure out there might be another one and they have to start the process all over again - because the airtag must be moving with someone for a bit to trigger an alert. Also once they figure out there may have been two, then they may start wondering if there were three, or four.

When you do get to hiding it (or them) remember that you have to balance your access for battery changes against ease of access for a thief. So while hiding it inside the spare tire may seem clever, it will not be convenient in a year when the battery needs to be changed.

But there are plenty of places where it can be cleverly hidden: easy for someone who knows where it is to access, but nigh impossible to find for someone who does not know where it is or what exactly they are even looking for.

Hiding it in a dummy hose in the engine compartment would not be a bad place ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ViperAir

ViperAir

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, the thief will be alerted. Your job is to hide the airtag such that they cannot find it. That is the point of concealment and removing the speaker. And UWB precision location does not work so great with all that metal surrounding the transmitter.

Only a stupid thief is going to pull over on the side of the highway in the middle of their getaway to take apart a truck looking for an object the size of a quarter. So practically, the thief - once alerted - has to either abandon the truck or accept they are being tracked. I suppose the smartest of them may bring along a jammer to block airtag comms.

And if you are feeling splurgy ($40 instead of $20) - hide two of them. On the off chance they find the first one, it will be a while before they figure out there might be another one and they have to start the process all over again - because the airtag must be moving with someone for a bit to trigger an alert. Also once they figure out there may have been two, then they may start wondering if there were three, or four.

When you do get to hiding it (or them) remember that you have to balance your access for battery changes against ease of access for a thief. So while hiding it inside the spare tire may seem clever, it will not be convenient in a year when the battery needs to be changed.

But there are plenty of places where it can be cleverly hidden: easy for someone who knows where it is to access, but nigh impossible to find for someone who does not know where it is or what exactly they are even looking for.

Hiding it in a dummy hose in the engine compartment would not be a bad place ;)
I like the TWO tags method. So, hiding inside engine is out of the question.....lol...

Caper

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any application has it limitations. The Ford Pass is free and seamless. It gives me a first class piece of mind in case I have to find my truck via the app. It's also more secure than third party sites in case a hacker tries to gain entry or steal data.
You obviously didn't read Fords Terms and Privacy Policy . Third Party Services is mentioned 27 times....
Sponsored