First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Between the late '90s Consumer Reports oil test on NYC taxis and bobstheoilguy.com, I don't change the oil any more often that what the manual says and have been using Walmart Supertech oil (and filters) in my vehicles for 15+ years. Some deviation every now and then to STP or Valvoline depending on circumstances. Brand name = brand name $$$ with an negligle increase in protection.

There's probably all sorts of lab test results that show a difference in oils and maybe even filters - but when it comes to the real world...I don't think it matters. Just look for the SAE seal on the oil and go on.

I'll probably go with the COSTCO synthetic if the WM or STP is not around, unless there's a sale on Mobil1 or one of the other name brands.
Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
After looking around a bit, no doubt I'll be going with Motorcraft synthetic blend. It looks to be more than sufficient for my use and my local Ford dealer pricing an oil change/rotation/etc. with that oil at like $10 more than I'd pay for oil/filter if I was doing it myself?

I can't find any good reason to deviate from this path.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
A Toyota filter on a Ford engine? Is there such a thing?
It's not a Toyota filter, it's just the brand (Denso) that Toyota uses on their builds.

OP
OP
Fx4hOok

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the Warren oil meet the Ford hybrid spec?

73bluebronco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick, 1973 Bronco, 2017 Fiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Does the Warren oil meet the Ford hybrid spec?
It doesn't look like it does for the hybrid. This is from the technical data sheet "Ford WSS-M2C947-B1". I didn't check all the others though.

STRIKE MY LAST.
Found one of theirs that says it meets the standard. Here's a shot of it.

Ford Maverick What oil brand will you be using ? Screenshot_20210921-201446_Office

Last edited:

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It doesn't look like it does for the hybrid. This is from the technical data sheet "Ford WSS-M2C947-B1". I didn't check all the others though.

STRIKE MY LAST.
Found one of theirs that says it meets the standard. Here's a shot of it.

Screenshot_20210921-201446_Office.jpg
Thank you (y)

OP
OP
Fx4hOok

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks like I will be using pennzoil again.
I emailed them about the Ford spec.

Thank you for your enquiry.
This is to confirm that the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (API SP and ILSAC GF-6A) does meet the Ford WSS M2C961-A1 specification, however, the TDS, website and labels have not been updated yet. It is being worked on. So, the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 (API SP and ILSAC GF-6A) can be used in 2021 Ford 2.0 EcoBoost SUVs and 2021 Ford Explorer SUV where the Ford WSS M2C961-A1 is required.

Sponsored

hopsnbarley91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Sienna, 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've always used Mobil 1 in my Hondas for oil. Any other fluids were what Honda uses for the dealerships. Always DIY my maintenance.

Over 300k+ miles in a 2001 V6 Accord before I sold it. Still ran well.

Currently 161k in my 2013 civic and going strong.

I'm not sure what kind of fluids Ford vehicles like. I'm kind of scared of the reliability of Ford. I'm still pulling the trigger on a Maverick Hybrid and taking a leap of faith. I don't buy vehicles for features and accessories but for longevity.

I'd appreciate if someone more knowledgeable about Ford's could educate me on how to keep my vehicle going.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not sure what kind of fluids Ford vehicles like. I'm kind of scared of the reliability of Ford. I'm still pulling the trigger on a Maverick Hybrid and taking a leap of faith. I don't buy vehicles for features and accessories but for longevity.

I'd appreciate if someone more knowledgeable about Ford's could educate me on how to keep my vehicle going.
Vehicles from any manufacture can be a crap shoot for reliability. Ford has had more than a few black eyes but it should not scare you away. Just follow the owners manual and perhaps do a little extra TLC. There will be some small issues along the way but nothing to drastic (warranty). Motorcraft oil is recommended in the manual as Ford designed it. Iā€™m going to use Amsoil at home and occasionally let the dealer do changes as well.

I will be getting the Ford credit card to pay for my services with the points

hopsnbarley91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Sienna, 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Vehicles from any manufacture can be a crap shoot for reliability. Ford has had more than a few black eyes but it should not scare you away. Just follow the owners manual and perhaps do a little extra TLC. There will be some small issues along the way but nothing to drastic (warranty). Motorcraft oil is recommended in the manual as Ford designed it. Iā€™m going to use Amsoil at home and occasionally let the dealer do changes as well.

I will be getting the Ford credit card to pay for my services with the points
Thanks for the response. I think I will likely go with factory recommendations then.

My stepdad had warranty work done on his Fusion 3 times for failed CVTs. I'm not letting it scare me away though. From what I've read the eCVT should have very little issues in the Maverick since it's not like a traditional CVT.

OP
OP
Fx4hOok

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the response. I think I will likely go with factory recommendations then.

My stepdad had warranty work done on his Fusion 3 times for failed CVTs. I'm not letting it scare me away though. From what I've read the eCVT should have very little issues in the Maverick since it's not like a traditional CVT.
Im a toyota guy. I am only here for the Maverick, hoping for the best.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fusion or Five Hundred? The Fusion never had a CVT outside of the eCVT hybrids. The Five Hundred had the maligned belt-style CVT.
Sponsored