Sponsored

What amount of markup is tolerable to receive your truck immediately?

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've found the exact truck I want on a lot (Hybrid Lariat Lux), but the dealer mark-up is $4,500. I already have financing ready.

Pros:
  • I get the truck immediately. My car might not make it another year if I place my order on 8/2.
  • My financing is locked at 2.34% for 60 months. Who knows what interest rates will be when I can finally buy the truck - likely higher.
  • MY23 model prices are increasing. Looks like by at least $1K on the website (e.g. XL showqs 20,995 instead of 19,995). Could be higher? So the markup is really more like $3.5K.
Cons:
  • Paying the stealership a dollar over MSRP, especially $4.5K, fucking sucks.

What say you?
Sounds like you'd get tremendous peace of mind if you did it now. Life is short, get the truck now and enjoy. Interest rates going up, everything is going up and the future is uncertain, this is a bird in the hand.
Sponsored

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy it. I purchased a rejected order Lariat 2.5 in HCP in April for 5K over MSRP. No waiting for constrained items or having to delete items you want just to get the pickup. I was planning to order 1 next month but I have already got back $1k due to the base price increase and my HVAC gauges give readings in degrees rather than Lo Hi. The was I see it my Excess Profit payment is already being recouped. By this time next year I might reach parity AND enjoyed driving it for a year.

Rick and Mavy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, Alto Blue, Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy it. Lariat Lux lane centering is amazing. Hybrid mileage exceeds expectations.

Rick and Mavy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, Alto Blue, Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't pay it. Prices are increasing about 1.5ish k. Not 4.5. The 23s will be fully sorted out from any issues as well. BUT if you can negotiate down to 2k or less....go for it.
Overly optimistic to believe those dealer markups are going to completely drop off, no?

Sounder206

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

None. MSRP and not a penny more.

But thatā€™s just me because we do have other vehicles and I can wait on a Mav until Iā€™m ready to purchase.

Sponsored

riverrat373

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Escape, 2009 Ford f150 Supercab 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've found the exact truck I want on a lot (Hybrid Lariat Lux), but the dealer mark-up is $4,500. I already have financing ready.

Pros:
  • I get the truck immediately. My car might not make it another year if I place my order on 8/2.
  • My financing is locked at 2.34% for 60 months. Who knows what interest rates will be when I can finally buy the truck - likely higher.
  • MY23 model prices are increasing. Looks like by at least $1K on the website (e.g. XL showqs 20,995 instead of 19,995). Could be higher? So the markup is really more like $3.5K.
Cons:

What say you?
NONE!

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Overly optimistic to believe those dealer markups are going to completely drop off, no?
That wasn't factoring in any kind of markup on the potential MYY23 order. That should be at msrp (whatever that will be). Obv markups for anything on the lot will be around for a while. But yeah maybe optimistic to think they will budge but if you don't try.....

Tirpitz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid+Lux in Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you need a vehicle you can rationalize it. However I would negotiate the markup.

If I don't absolutely need a new vehicle I'd wait for my order to come in.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Pros:
Cons:

What say you?
Just went to my dealer and there was a loaded Lariat for $5k over. Asked if they would take $3k and he said Yes! Betcha they would take $2k, so dicker.

OP
OP

Icanhazmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They started at 10k over, I got them down to 4.5k. At $2k I'd do it, but $4.5k...I'm thinking no.

Sponsored

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 kia soul- 2023 santa cruz SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like the one I saw online in Ill. not sure where now but it was ONLY $20,000 over sticker on a Maverick.what a deal !! im still waiting 9 months, ordered at sticker $$. looks like it will have to be reorderedas a 2023 !!

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™d buy something else at MSRP before I would pay a penny more. Iā€™ve owned a Maverick already - an XL - and itā€™s a vehicle where $30k is absolutely pushing the envelope on what it is worth in terms of overall quality. I like the truck a lot, Iā€™m not knocking it, Iā€™m just saying it is decidedly ā€œbudgetā€ and overpaying makes zero sense. My Lariat Lux hybrid is finally scheduled and I donā€™t regret waiting at all for $29,300 plus tax (from Ed in Philly). Any more than $30k and Iā€™d buy something nicer like a Civic and rent a truck on the rare occasion it was needed.

Donā€™t do it!

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If i were in your shoes I would scoop it up, rare to find a lariat lux on a dealers lot. If you can afford it i would get it and love the hell out of it.
there is always gonna be people against the ADM, but it is what it is right now.

Firedog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Pros:
Cons:

What say you?
Honestly only you can answer this question. I paid MSRP but waited 10+months. People will pay what it is worth to them so do the math and make the best decision for you.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
if you want it, and can afford it- do it! Ignore all these negative people complaining about paying over MSRP. It's a different world we live in now, and those that don't adapt get left behind.
All these negative people?

Since when is paying what I agreed to buy my vehicle for (MSRP) negative?

I'm not complaining either, I'm rather happy with the dealer I ordered from. Stuck to their word and all is good. I don't know what "different world" you're in, but there are options for those not wanting to pay over MSRP.
In my case, I waited. It did cost me a little as my trade devalued some and I had to buy tires. But I still worked out a great deal and I'm satisfied.
Sponsored