First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it's really news to you that a buyer's order is not a binding contract then you need to learn a little more about how this all works. It's not a binding contract. The dealership is NOT obligated to do anything, nor are YOU.

This is why people are able to walk away from their orders at any point without penalty - NOT a contract.

It is why many dealers add on other things when the vehicle arrives such as various fees, packages, accessories, tax etc.

It's why Ford doesn't care whether your buyers order is ever allocated to the dealership or built. If it were a binding contract there would be multiple lawsuits right now from 2022 order customer demanding their trucks be delivered. Not happening is it?

You cannot take a buyers order to court and demand a dealership honor it. Try it and let the rest of the world know how that works out.
I think it is you who does not understand what a signed dealership buyer's order is.
It lists ALL costs and is signed and dated by the customer and the General/Sales Manager.

That is a contract.

A signed Buyer's Order can be done at time of ordering not just when vehicle is delivered.

@fordvideoguy has stated that it protects the buyer from those shady dealers who do what you mentioned as a signed DORA means nothing.

He also mentioned that their dealership does the "Buyer's Order" on every order placed.

Your example of "It is why many dealers add on other things when the vehicle arrives such as various fees, packages, accessories, tax etc." shows that you may be confusing a signed DORA with a signed buyer's order.

They are not the same at all.

Buyer's Order for Car: Everything You Need to Know

From article:

When you buy a new or preowned vehicle, you need to sign several important legal documents before you’re handed the keys.

One of these documents is called the buyer's order, which contains the agreed-upon terms of the sale.

Understanding the buyer’s order and what it means be helpful before you begin the transaction.

The buyer's order includes detailed information about the car you are buying, including the VIN, color, make, model, options, features, and warranties. It includes information about both you as the buyer and the dealer from which you are purchasing the car.

You will also find a fully itemized list of all the costs you'll pay as part of the vehicle purchase, including the final negotiated car price, plus any taxes, documentation costs, and dealer fees. If you’re trading in a vehicle as part of the sale, the buyer’s order should also include your trade in information.

The buyer's order is a legally binding contract. That means that if either you or the dealership fails to go through with the sale, the other party will have legal recourse.

Here is my Buyer's Order for my MY22 Maverick with the personal information (and signatures) removed. I paid exactly what was shown on it and nothing more.

Ford Maverick What’s the latest on fighting Market Adjustment Buyer's Order
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it is you who does not understand what a signed dealership buyer's order is.
It lists ALL costs and is signed and dated by the customer and the General/Sales Manager.

That is a contract.
Good luck with that sweetheart. A "buyer's order" is not an enforceable contract, a "purchase contract" is. There is a difference.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A dealership that gives you an out-the-door price from the outset is not legally obligated to honor it. Most will, simply because it doesn't make good business sense to constantly screw over customers. But it is not a contract and being a poorly run business is not illegal.

The contract is that giant stack of paperwork you sign at the end of the process. Lawyers write contracts and even a contract simply acknowledging there is a contract will be longer than the order summary.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last edited:

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
I picked mine up on Saturday at the agreed price.

I am not a lawyer but even if you had a valid contract with a dealership for your Maverick, which you don't, then one huge problem is that if they sell it and you sue them for damages then you the big question is what were the actual damages. You would have a very hard time showing any actual damages other than getting any deposit back.
Sponsored