Sponsored

[UPDATE 3/22/22] Dead Hybrid Maverick at 1 month old after getting "Deep Sleep Mode" messages. [Possibly fixed by software update.]

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty bad when one has to keep doing the work for ford,and of coarse the ford rep in this thread has all but disappeared,....and I keep getting deep sleep notifications. I guess if this happens to enough people, these Hybrid owners may have to take it public and this is likely something ford would not like to see given most recent reviews of the vehicle
I have my keyboard fired up and in standby, because if this happens to me I'm sending emails to some Ford Executive Offices! This has happened enough times that all dealership technicians should have a notice of some type explaining what the problem appears to be and where to start looking if a customer shows up with a "deep sleep" alert! That's my 2 cents, other opinions cost more! 😁
Sponsored

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wasn’t there a Ford Technician that was active on the forum at one time? Wonder if he has some insight @FORD BOSS ME

Last edited:

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lengthy update....

@KeinoDoggy Man I was really hoping everything was sorted out and fixed, but I am once again a member of the dead maverick club. However, I have learned a lot.

The guys at the service department really tried to help and unfortunately their fix didn't hold. I have done some investigating in the driveway and have narrowed it down to this cable (directly behind the one you pointed out). When I pull up on it, all of the relays click and I get 12V, when I relax pressure, everything dies.

20220601_172735.jpg

I probably shouldn't disassemble anything past what I already have, unless there is an easy fix?

This is pretty large wire, so is that connector soldered on? It looks to me like it is almost pulling out of the connector end (See second photo).

20220601_181657.jpg

Trying to get their service department to reply to my email and get it back in soon! Fingers crossed...
Yep, that is a flat metal connector that was factory bar soldered. That is your problem. That wire harness runs from there under the hood to the 12 volt battery under the rear seat. It needs to be completely replaced but unfortunately, I understand they are on a 3 week back order. However, as a temporary fix, I have been told that it is possible for service tech to either re-solder or drill a hole through the cable end to bolt down to that stud. Ford really needs to put out a TSB for dealers to start checking hybrids for this. I can see more of this popping up. @Ford Motor Company help this guy out and let's get something done about this it is happening too much now.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I looked at my first edition and that post which is in the blue circle is under the black u shaped plastic cover which can be seen in pic just below the blue circle. When it is tipped up to cover the post it has the "no jumper" symbol. Since the positive jump post is underneath the red cover which is hiding underneath the wiring to the right of the tipped ot u shaped cover, I believe the reason that u shaped cover has the "no jumper symbol" I because it is so close the the positive jump post and Ford does not want the +&- jumper ends to be that close together. Since the positive jump post is threaded and is so hard to get to do we need a screw on end extension for the jumper cable? The red cover on the post jump post just tips toward the front of the truck to uncover the post.

Sponsored

Error

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux 360 Roof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine is. March built.. no issue, but i went ahead and took a closer look on mine just to be ready if that ever happens to me on the road.. hopefully not in a tunnel or on a bridge 600 miles from my house.

so im uploading this pic i just took

which wire am i supposed to look,, is it A, B or C?

and can we tell anything from the picture? Is mine problematic too?
march built

Ford Maverick [UPDATE 3/22/22] Dead Hybrid Maverick at 1 month old after getting "Deep Sleep Mode" messages. [Possibly fixed by software update.] 33B637A1-043A-4A47-B897-F3DA41CE2274

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine is. March built.. no issue, but i went ahead and took a closer look on mine just to be ready if that ever happens to me on the road.. hopefully not in a tunnel or on a bridge 600 miles from my house.

march built

33B637A1-043A-4A47-B897-F3DA41CE2274.jpeg
My understanding is it be wire B in your picture. The wire is soldered to lug, which is bolted in place. There's been issues with the solder connection (cold solder joit) that over time starts to separate/ breaks down causing the 12v battery to drain down. I'm not a mechanic nor do I speak for Ford, but one time I saw a Ford mechanic! 😁

Error

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea, so it is sorta easy fix if they simply find a better way to bolt it back more solidly.

i wonder if we can remove the tape and add more solder to it.. cold solder joint is for small appliances like tv and home radio.. not a truck damit..

At the same it is good to know it's an easy fix, but stupid things like this could means there are other things that won't last.. definitely not built to last. Hence the reason i don't trust this hybrid.

but one thing for sure, when this vehicle is running fine, it is a great vehicle to drive. I have no complaint other than the bad quality build.

tomorrow i have an appointment for my coolant leak on my 2 weeks old hybrid maverick.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea, so it is sorta easy fix if they simply find a better way to bolt it back more solidly.

i wonder if we can remove the tape and add more solder to it.. cold solder joint is for small appliances like tv and home radio.. not a truck damit..

At the same it is good to know it's an easy fix, but stupid things like this could means there are other things that won't last.. definitely not built to last. Hence the reason i don't trust this hybrid.

but one thing for sure, when this vehicle is running fine, it is a great vehicle to drive. I have no complaint other than the bad quality build.

tomorrow i have an appointment for my coolant leak on my 2 weeks old hybrid maverick.
As I understand it Ford is replacing the cable when it's been identified as causing the "deep sleep" problem some hybrid owners are experiencing. At this time I don't think has identified a particular batch of hybrids that may have this issue. Hopefully this is a limited problem.
Has the cause of your coolant issue been identified?

MrMjd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided

march built

33B637A1-043A-4A47-B897-F3DA41CE2274.jpeg
My XLT Hybrid just got towed today because everything went dead in a parking lot. I had 1000amp portable booster that did not do anything. Ford Roadside showed up after 2.5 hours waiting and he was able to get it started to two. Once dropped off dealership, again dead as door nail. I guess I should bring you photo in and advise them on the problem.

Sponsored

Error

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As I understand it Ford is replacing the cable when it's been identified as causing the "deep sleep" problem some hybrid owners are experiencing. At this time I don't think has identified a particular batch of hybrids that may have this issue. Hopefully this is a limited problem.
Has the cause of your coolant issue been identified?
first time coolant leaked apparently it was leaking in the back of the engine block,,near the catalytic.
tomorrow they are going to figure if out why it is still loosing coolant. It might just be pocket air created from the last repair.

i hope you are right and the harness issue is limited to a small batch and not every hybrid out there.

but i don't see any difference between my harness and the one from the original poster.

Error

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My XLT Hybrid just got towed today because everything went dead in a parking lot. I had 1000amp portable booster that did not do anything. Ford Roadside showed up after 2.5 hours waiting and he was able to get it started to two. Once dropped off dealership, again dead as door nail. I guess I should bring you photo in and advise them on the problem.
when was yours built? How many miles?

i hope you weren't too far from your house., i wonder what would happen if it happen during a road trip like thousands of miles from your house.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
first time coolant leaked apparently it was leaking in the back of the engine block,,near the catalytic.
tomorrow they are going to figure if out why it is still loosing coolant. It might just be pocket air created from the last repair.

i hope you are right and the harness issue is limited to a small batch and not every hybrid out there.

but i don't see any difference between my harness and the one from the original poster.
Yes, hopefully you're coolant is something simple. I found out the hard way that coolant overflow is under pressure! I didn't look at any of warning ⚠ labels on container when I removed one of the hoses! The stuff came shooting out of for a second or two before I got that hose reconnected! :LOL:
I was trying to move the container out of the way to get to a bracket I dropped in the engine bay.

BB0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
sadly I got a notification yesterday morning that my truck entered deep sleep 🙁 it was an isolated incident and was able to start and drive fine afterward but I hope it’s not a sign of things to come. I was moving it around short distances in my driveway multiple times the day before so it’s possible that this was the cause but I’m hesitant to believe it.

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
To add to this, cold solder joints is an issue with any soldering. This happens when whatever you are soldering is not heated up so it won't take a good hold to the solder. So likely the thick metal piece didn't get heated up before adding the solder causing a cold solder joint. There is no application that I know of where a cold solder joint is proper procedure.
Sponsored