MavTrucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has any Maverick Hybrid owner experienced any problems with undercoating their vehicle? I remember reading something about a "fouled" sensor and lack of accountability from the undercoating company and the Ford dealership. Is the Hybrid a complicated vehicle to undercoat because of its battery and engine covering?
Sponsored

7Litre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sonata Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So far, no issues. 2023 XLT picked up February 25, after dealership undercoated it.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only issue I forsee is the plastic side panels not being able to be removed without breaking those clips. I need to get in there on both sides of the pinch weld. I've searched for info on how to safely remove them and came up blank. I remove everything including the wheel well liners when I undercoat. Also towards the rear, dropping the spare.

I've only been under once but noticed A LOT of connections pretty much just out in the open. I'll be taping everything off before I spray and likely leaving the tape in place. They really made no effort to conceal/protect the connectors.

If you've ever gotten under your vehicle after a dealership "undercoating", you'd instantly see how much you overpaid for a single rattle can worth of shoddy spraying.

Also, the hybrid battery is in the cab and the engine cover is well... over the engine? lol. Not sure what undercoating has to do with that. If a company fouls up a sensor, their prep work is questionable.

I don't have a hybrid, but the process is the same. Undercoating is a general process and not a hybrid specific topic.

Last edited:

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The only issue I forsee is the plastic side panels not being able to be removed without breaking those clips. I need to get in there on both sides of the pinch weld. I've searched for info on how to safely remove them and came up blank. I remove everything including the wheel well liners when I undercoat. Also towards the rear, dropping the spare.

I've only been under once but noticed A LOT of connections pretty much just out in the open. I'll be taping everything off before I spray and likely leaving the tape in place. They really made no effort to conceal/protect the connectors.

If you've ever gotten under your vehicle after a dealership "undercoating", you'd instantly see how much you overpaid for a single rattle can worth of shoddy spraying.

Also, the hybrid battery is in the cab and the engine cover is well... over the engine? lol. Not sure what undercoating has to do with that. If a company fouls up a sensor, their prep work is questionable.

I don't have a hybrid, but the process is the same. Undercoating is a general process and not a hybrid specific topic.
After watching a YouTube video of a guy doing his own maverick undercoat, I bought a bunch of plastic clips and fasteners off Amazon and gave them to my undercoat dude. I had to pay him for his time to remove all them (he took before and after photos) so hopefully it was worth it. He said there are a ton of nooks and crannies to get into on the Maverick, so fluid film was the way to go. Mine was the first one he’s done. Said it took him six hours, not including his time watching the same video that I watched 😊.

I forgot to say, I did have a fouled fuel pressure sensor, triggered the cel. Dealer covered it under warranty.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After watching a YouTube video of a guy doing his own maverick undercoat, I bought a bunch of plastic clips and fasteners off Amazon and gave them to my undercoat dude. I had to pay him for his time to remove all them (he took before and after photos) so hopefully it was worth it. He said there are a ton of nooks and crannies to get into on the Maverick, so fluid film was the way to go. Mine was the first one he’s done. Said it took him six hours, not including his time watching the same video that I watched 😊.

I forgot to say, I did have a fouled fuel pressure sensor, triggered the cel. Dealer covered it under warranty.
So you just bought the new clips? That's what others said they did too. By any chance, do you have a part number or link to those clips? If not, I'm sure I can find it. I have a couple months before I need to do fluid film. Also, any idea on the exact location of the fuel pressure sensor? Obviously I'd like to avoid any problems lol. Were you able to drive it with the CEL on or did it trigger limp mode?

Sponsored

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So you just bought the new clips? That's what others said they did too. By any chance, do you have a part number or link to those clips? If not, I'm sure I can find it. I have a couple months before I need to do fluid film. Also, any idea on the exact location of the fuel pressure sensor? Obviously I'd like to avoid any problems lol. Were you able to drive it with the CEL on or did it trigger limp mode?
I think the the sensor is on top of the gas tank. To be clear, I do not know if the sensor failure and undercoat are related. Yes, I bought the clips myself after confirming that my guy agreed to pull off the plastic panels on the rockers, all skid plates, and wheel well liners. I’ll look for the part numbers. Pretty sure I got them on Amazon, two different varieties. Stand by.

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1442001956...ez2qHmUQWy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2326284622...ez2qHmUQWy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Can’t find where I bought these other clips, but this is what they are. I might have picked them up locally.

https://www.onlinefordpartscatalog.com/oem-parts/ford-bumper-cover-support-rail-bolt-w711035s300

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you. Those first ones are what I was looking for. Expensive. I think that was what deterred me at first but I'll put the list together for when it's time. I'll probably check locally too just to see if they get them cheaper at the parts counter. It's rare, but it happens ;)

I bought a couple giant cases of random clips not long ago and have been adding to the collection. It's truly amazing the amount of specific clips there are now days.

Thanks for sharing!

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Are those side panel clips available from Ford. If so, I have no issue breaking every single one of them if need be to get to those pinch welds.

The push clips holding the OEM fender flares on my Ranger were single use only. They did not break when removed but they never held as good afterward so I would just buy a bunch of them and throw the old ones away each time I touched up the truck.

Sponsored

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thank you. Those first ones are what I was looking for. Expensive. I think that was what deterred me at first but I'll put the list together for when it's time. I'll probably check locally too just to see if they get them cheaper at the parts counter. It's rare, but it happens ;)

I bought a couple giant cases of random clips not long ago and have been adding to the collection. It's truly amazing the amount of specific clips there are now days.

Thanks for sharing!
I bought two packs of those rocker panel clips. I watched a YouTube video about how they can be removed and reused, but not easily. My undercoater ended up destroying most of them, he used 12 I think. I’d rather have new put back in anyway. Those things are fragile.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am just not understanding this fuel sensor thing? How does it get fouled by undercoating? What part of the sensor is exposed that permits it to get folded. Seems to me if it is that easily fouled then road grime and salt spray will raise havoc as well over time. I dunno, just asking'.

MichaelG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for sharing!
I bought the rectangle clips from eBay and I compared them to the OEM clips and they are not even close to being the same. The ebay clips have the four round indents that you can see in the pictures, the OEM are solid plastic. I haven't removed an OEM clip, yet, but to compare with the eBay clips the plastic looks thinner than original/OEM.

I haven't called the Ford parts department to see how much they cost but I think it is well worth to go OEM on the clips. It would be bad for the cheap clips to stop working and you have plastic panels that are not secured.

I counted the clips on the drivers side and there are 9. The clips are snap-in and they look like a one time or have the correct tool to remove with out compromising them .

Last edited:

Dionharris

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick 2011 f150 2016 transit connect
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The hybrid battery is under the truck on passenger side back seat. The standard 12v battery is under the back seat.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hybrid battery is under the truck on passenger side back seat. The standard 12v battery is under the back seat.
Is there anything protecting the Hybrid battery on the underbody from the elements? You'd think they would want to use a metal skid plate for something like that or just make it accessible from the cab same as the standard 12v.

I bought the rectangle clips from eBay and I compared them to the OEM clips and they are not even close to being the same. The ebay clips have the four round indents that you can see in the pictures, the OEM are solid plastic. I haven't removed an OEM clip, yet, but to compare with the eBay clips the plastic looks thinner than original/OEM.

I haven't called the Ford parts department to see how much they cost but I think it is well worth to go OEM on the clips. It would be bad for the cheap clips to stop working and you have plastic panels that are not secured.

I counted the clips on the drivers side and there are 9. The clips are snap-in and they look like a one time or have the correct tool to remove with out compromising them .
Thank you.

Does anyone have a part number for the OEM clips?
Sponsored