First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi, I was driving by a local bodyshop and they are advertising an oil rustproofing. I am familiar with Ziebart type of undercoating but not an oil kind. Anyone have any info on this? Is it any good?
Sponsored

MichaelG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
https://nhoilundercoating.com/

Don't know how good it is. I haven't received my vehicle yet. I wouldn't go with Ziebart, It has the ability to trap moisture and cause the vehicle to rust faster than if nothing was coating it. This happens if the coating is not applied properly. The bad thing with this coating, is that you don't know the condition of the metal under the coating. With the clear oil based coating, which needs to be reapplied every year or so, the same with Ziebart, you can see the condition of the metal under the coating.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you live in an area that uses salt on the roads any type of undercoating is a plus. Here is a video about oil based undercoating. Ive done a ton of undercoating on my Jeeps but never oil. After the winter flushing the frame and underside helps as well. Eastwood makes some great DIY frame protection products.

According to the oil undercoating folks , if it is a clean surface with no rust - the Ziebart works great - the real advantage to oil based is if you have existing rust it will penetrate the rust and displace moisture. Oil based is more designed to slow down existing rust over preventing it initially.

Last edited:

agrofarm100

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
carrington
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda fit and super duty ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Farming all my life and I know many that spray used atf on equipment before storing it for the winter. We spray unpainted parts of the machinery. And doesn't take a lot and you don't apply until it's dripping. Oil will migrate anyway.

I've used a hand sprayer and a syphon sprayer attached to compressed air to mist it on. Either will work. My dump trailer is getting some age on it and is used year round. I coated the underside 2 years ago and still looks moist.

Many years ago I had an automatic transmission line break on a pickup. It wetted the underside dripping wet with atf. Wore that truck out but it never rusted on the underside.

I'll use it on the Maverick I hope to get in the next few days. Will wait until spring or summer but it will get a coating of atf.

OP
OP
NJBob

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks, I don't know what brand it is. I will have to stop in and ask them. I am retired so try not to drive in the snow. It's wierd some cars I have had especially mopars rusted pretty bad. But others a Honda Crz and S10 Chevy got virtually none.

Sponsored

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks, I don't know what brand it is. I will have to stop in and ask them. I am retired so try not to drive in the snow. It's wierd some cars I have had especially mopars rusted pretty bad. But others a Honda Crz and S10 Chevy got virtually none.
Much of that goes back to the anti rust coating applied at the factory. Toyota Tacoma's from like 04 - 10 - their frames rusted out like swiss cheese due to the lack of effective coating and they had to replace thousands of frames in a class action lawsuit.

OP
OP
NJBob

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah guy I worked with had a Taco and his frame was replaced. I have a 2003 MR2 and to this day when I drive around back at the Toyota dealership there is a pile of frames there.

OP
OP
NJBob

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you live in an area that uses salt on the roads any type of undercoating is a plus. Here is a video about oil based undercoating. Ive done a ton of undercoating on my Jeeps but never oil. After the winter flushing the frame and underside helps as well. Eastwood makes some great DIY frame protection products.

According to the oil undercoating folks , if it is a clean surface with no rust - the Ziebart works great - the real advantage to oil based is if you have existing rust it will penetrate the rust and displace moisture. Oil based is more designed to slow down existing rust over preventing it initially.

Yeah my wife's Cheroke rusted pretty bad underneath the body still looked great. My brothers compass had to be junked it was so bad.

OP
OP
NJBob

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice article pretty involved process. Have not seen a Valiant in years. Think my uncle had a 63. Was the first car I ever drove. I was underage but he let me drive it for a few minutes while he sat in the passenger seat.

Sponsored

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check out Fluid Film. That seems like the best for the money. There are othes like Blaster Surface Shield and Woolwax.

Pallyboy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I use Fluid Film on my Wrangler. It works very well. Should be done yearly as it will wash off but it is not bad for the environment.

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've heard from one person who undercoated his CJ with Fluid Film. It's expensive but you can apply it yourself. I'm thinking he sprays the underside of his Jeep every fall and is satisfied.

I sprayed motor oil on the underside of my S10 three years or so ago. I was very thorough. The drawback to that method is that sand, dirt and dust will cling to areas (inner fender wells, rocker panels, areas between mudflaps and metal) and soak up salty, briny chloride loaded moisture and remain wet for a long time. I would NOT recommend doing what I did. Everytime I look at the truck now I want a tetanus shot.

The best rustproofing IMO for your Maverick is driving a beater in the winter and barring that frequent car washes.

If I was to spring for annual undercoating from a body shop the price would have to be pretty close to me applying something like Fluid Film myself.

OP
OP
NJBob

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will have to see what the cost is and what product they use.. Think I would rather use the cash for an extended warranty. Retired so I have to stay within my means.

MasonicMoth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Moth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XL 2.0, 17 Mini Clubman ALL4 Truck
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I took mine to a local place that does oil-spray. The brand they use is clear and is called Rust Cure Formula 3000. Apparently it seeps into cracks and crevasses, displaces moisture, (somehow) is polarized to stick to the metal better?

And since the truck is less than 3 years old, comes with their "never rust" guarantee as long as I get a respray every 18 months or sooner. My next spray is scheduled for July 2024. It was $215 after tax.
Sponsored