Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would prefer a union shop that takes care of its employees by paying good wages, providing decent benefits & healthcare, and putting safety first. But beyond that I don’t care whether a Canadian, American, Mexican, or Korean makes my car.
Sponsored

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This can be reversed to some degree. Maybe I want the money to go to American workers working at that Korean companies plant in Alabama. Rather than the money going the executives at the American company who cut American jobs to outsource to Mexico.

So the real issue for me here is if Hyundai can make vehicles here hiring Americans, why can't Ford?

That being said I'm still getting a Maverick because it fits my needs/life better.

But, if I was looking to give my money to a company with the thought of what's better for America, I'd probably by the Hyundai. Sad state of affairs we've allowed ourselves to get into.
Well if Ford decided to sell the Maverick at a base price of 25000, like the Hyundai, maybe they could employ people here to build it. 🤔 oh wait they do it's called the Ford Ranger and it competes price-wise with the Hyundai but it has a more powerful engine.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
So the real issue for me here is if Hyundai can make vehicles here hiring Americans, why can't Ford?
Because Hyundai being a foreign company would have to pay import tariffs if they manufactured their vehicles anywhere but in the U.S. Ford gets to build them in Mexico and import them into the U.S. without penalty because of NAFTA. If you want to push American manufacturers to bring jobs back to the U.S. you’re going to have to kill NAFTA.

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I remember when my (late) Father-in-law, a former Union brewer, stated: “I will never buy a car or a VCR not made in the USA. I said, “would you buy a Russian VCR ($250 avg then), if the Russian one was $90? Silence.

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because Hyundai being a foreign company would have to pay import tariffs if they manufactured their vehicles anywhere but in the U.S. Ford gets to build them in Mexico and import them into the U.S. without penalty because of NAFTA. If you want to push American manufacturers to bring jobs back to the U.S. you’re going to have to kill NAFTA.
Let's do it.

Sponsored

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m sure Ford employs more auto workers in America than Hyundai. There are economic reasons to manufacturer out of the States; the Maverick probably wouldn’t be under $20k built here.
I get all that. I was really trying to get my soap box out. Just responding to that specific quote that I'd rather give it to an American company...which isn't something I disagree with.

Either way I'm getting a Maverick. I try to buy American when I can, where it works.

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
If you are in the market for this kind of truck you need to ask yourself the question:

Do I buy the Ford Maverick which is made in Mexico OR do I buy the Hyundai Santa Cruz which is made in Alabama, USA?
I,ll remain A Ford Customer!

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I would prefer a union shop that takes care of its employees by paying good wages, providing decent benefits & healthcare, and putting safety first. But beyond that I don’t care whether a Canadian, American, Mexican, or Korean makes my car.
Hermosillo is unionized under SINTRAFORD I think

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The answer is to make your average American wealthier so they can afford to buy a vehicle assembled by people that make those kind of wages. I was just talking to my cousin about how we make the same yearly salary as our fathers did at our age but they didn’t need a wildly expensive college degree and their money was worth more than twice as much as ours. Pay is not keeping up with inflation and the rising cost of life. You cannot tell me that there isn’t room to pay the American worker more when 30% of all American wealth is held by 1% of the population.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The answer is to make your average American wealthier so they can afford to buy a vehicle assembled by people that make those kind of wages. I was just talking to my cousin about how we make the same yearly salary as our fathers did at our age but they didn’t need a wildly expensive college degree and their money was worth more than twice as much as ours. Pay is not keeping up with inflation and the rising cost of life. You cannot tell me that there isn’t room to pay the American worker more when 30% of all American wealth is held by 1% of the population.
Red Herring argument. There is no linkage between what businesses to decide a particular job is worth paying someone to do for them and private wealth accumulation. It's not "American wealth" or belonging to the gov't to redistribute according to their own ideology. Unless wealth is ill gotten there's no reason to be monitoring and categorizing who holds what and none of anyone's business to obsess about.

Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not a union worker however my father was. I have worked for an automotive supplier (engineering) early in my career so I'm familiar with the industry. Throughout my 20's and 30's, I was diligent about buying domestic brands as a nationalistic pride thing.

As I learned more about how things actually work, corporate expediency, and the primary beneficiary of that expediency being the stockholders, I became less politicized in my purchase decisions, knowing that any vehicle sold in America will contribute to the economic engine, both foreign and domestic. I have also noticed that vehicles have become more homogeneous in design and composition as the industry has evolved. Look how many different brands were affected by using Takata airbags, my point being vehicles are more alike these days than decades before. Many share suppliers globally.

That said, if I had my choice, I would prefer a U.S. built Maverick, but I realize that Ford likely chose Hermosillo to accommodate affordability.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Herring argument. There is no linkage between what businesses to decide a particular job is worth paying someone to do for them and private wealth accumulation. It's not "American wealth" or belonging to the gov't to redistribute according to their own ideology. Unless wealth is ill gotten there's no reason to be monitoring and categorizing who holds what and none of anyone's business to obsess about.
Who said anything about the government redistributing anything? The American people need to demand better pay from their employers. In 2019 Ford’s CEO was paid 157 times more than the median Ford employee. That’s just his salary, it doesnt include his signin bonus, relocation expenses, air travel use etc etc. it also doesn’t include the other senior management of Ford and their mega salaries.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems as though if you really truly wanted to buy the 'most' American-made vehicles, you'd have to do way more analysis than anyone of us would probably care for.

We are talking about final assembly here - how much of the overall labor to build a vehicle (I am talking from raw materials for each part, through part creation through to final assembly) is actually happening at plants such as the Maverick one? 10% possibly, probably less? The sum of its parts, and their source would probably be a more accurate initial distribution of where the labor wages are being paid.

Then what about the materials? Are those all coming from the US? The electronics? What else am I missing?

The reality is we are talking about an industry that is so vast and intertwined after a century + of manufacturing, that arguing you are buying 'American', 'Korean', or any other nation's vehicles based on where they are headquartered is a little out dated. At least when we are talking about the large, multi-national manufacturers. They all play shell games with their money and taxes as well, further compounding the ridiculousness of it all.

Unless you have a specific, actionable reason to not buy a particular brand, whats the point in arguing here? Oh right its the internet 🧐
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.