First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I had a salesman looking for one...It's been like 2 months and he finally called ..they found one $28830 plus $500 to get it here..?
I like Toyota's...Bought several new.. But the MPG is only 20mpg in town where that is about the only place I drive... My current rig gets about 13.7mpg so 20mpg sounds great..
I also know this SR is a base model..but it is tempting...I guess for instant graification ...or a week for the delivery.
I'm pretty torn I really want a Maverick also...
I'm not a current owner of a Toyota being the last one I bought was a 2004 Tundra I'm a little lacking with..Is Toyota worth it anymore?
Sponsored

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a spreadsheet of the following trucks: Tacoma SR5 - Tacoma SR - Maverick XLT - Maverick XL. The mavericks are 2.0T while tacomas are v6 4x4 versions, it will likely be similar to that of the 4cyl as in the end, as the 4cyl taco will have a lower resale value. It has base cost, expected maintenance, fuel cost, and resale value after 10 years. I assumed the maverick will be a mix of escape and ranger in regards to maintenance (includes the chance of major repair after 5 years - 30% for ford). Other values I used cars.com or other sources to figure it out. I also assumed 50/50 highway/city for fuel economy:

Ford Maverick Toyota Tocoma SR Crew Cab 2WD 4cyl ? Screenshot 2021-08-27 074216

All of these trucks, after 10 years, will have cost you far different in value, however you can get back what you lost in expected resale value. Again, for the ford, I used 10 year old rangers and 10 year old escapes and mixed the two.

Go with what you want. IMO the Tacoma is going to be the more reliable vehicle long term, but that 4cyl does NOT have great mileage. If you are planning on selling after 10 years, I think all vehicles will last just fine in that time frame. After 10 years? Tacoma will likely be cheaper in maintenance due to being a standard motor with no turbo.

After sitting in a maverick yesterday, I found it wasn't that much MORE spacious than a tacoma. Maybe 2" in the rear? All the specs say should be 4" but I didn't find that to be the case when I adjusted my seats the way I would like it.

OP
OP
CASD57

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I have a spreadsheet of the following trucks: Tacoma SR5 - Tacoma SR - Maverick XLT - Maverick XL. The mavericks are 2.0T while tacomas are v6 4x4 versions, it will likely be similar to that of the 4cyl as in the end, as the 4cyl taco will have a lower resale value. It has base cost, expected maintenance, fuel cost, and resale value after 10 years. I assumed the maverick will be a mix of escape and ranger in regards to maintenance (includes the chance of major repair after 5 years - 30% for ford). Other values I used cars.com or other sources to figure it out. I also assumed 50/50 highway/city for fuel economy:

Screenshot 2021-08-27 074216.jpg

All of these trucks, after 10 years, will have cost you far different in value, however you can get back what you lost in expected resale value. Again, for the ford, I used 10 year old rangers and 10 year old escapes and mixed the two.

Go with what you want. IMO the Tacoma is going to be the more reliable vehicle long term, but that 4cyl does NOT have great mileage. If you are planning on selling after 10 years, I think all vehicles will last just fine in that time frame. After 10 years? Tacoma will likely be cheaper in maintenance due to being a standard motor with no turbo.

After sitting in a maverick yesterday, I found it wasn't that much MORE spacious than a tacoma. Maybe 2" in the rear? All the specs say should be 4" but I didn't find that to be the case when I adjusted my seats the way I would like it.
Nice

Sponsored

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
however you can get back what you lost in expected resale value.
What assumptions did you use for the price of a gallon of gas 10 years from now?

If gasoline costs $10/gallon you'll see a much lower resale value for the Taco or any gas-only vehicle.

On the other hand, by 2031 everyone may be driving Teslas, so gas might cost 29 cents/gallon again. :D

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Screenshot 2021-08-27 074216.jpg

doesn't look like you accounted for the $1495.00 delivery charge on the Mavericks? That would affect loan amount and OTD final figures? Are you also accounting for any Documentation, Title, Tax, and license $ in there someplace too? My Senior brain wants to know.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the other hand, by 2031 everyone may be driving Teslas, so gas might cost 29 cents/gallon again. :D
I'm not sure that's how it'll work. Gas prices do tend to fall a bit during times when usage falls (Summer trip season vs fall), but if the market shifts as far into electric as all the car manufacturers seem to claim it will, who knows what gas prices will do to compensate. At a certain point economies of scale start regressing and prices have to go up.

That wont bode well for gas vehicle resale values.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a salesman looking for one...It's been like 2 months and he finally called ..they found one $28830 plus $500 to get it here..?
I like Toyota's...Bought several new.. But the MPG is only 20mpg in town where that is about the only place I drive... My current rig gets about 13.7mpg so 20mpg sounds great..
I also know this SR is a base model..but it is tempting...I guess for instant graification ...or a week for the delivery.
I'm pretty torn I really want a Maverick also...
I'm not a current owner of a Toyota being the last one I bought was a 2004 Tundra I'm a little lacking with..Is Toyota worth it anymore?
I haven't driven in or even sat in a current generation Tacoma, but read some reports on those when researching mid-size trucks I might be interested in (before Maverick appeared) and a common complaint was uncomfortable seating position. It seems the seats are mounted lower in the cab than other trucks and a lot of people don't like the angle of your legs and torso from that and even some complaints that makes long drives tortuous.

OP
OP
CASD57

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I’m probably going to stick with the maverick for several reason....one being every week that passes my down payment builds, which being less I need to fianance. which makes the wife happy.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not sure that's how it'll work. Gas prices do tend to fall a bit during times when usage falls (Summer trip season vs fall), but if the market shifts as far into electric as all the car manufacturers seem to claim it will, who knows what gas prices will do to compensate. At a certain point economies of scale start regressing and prices have to go up.

That wont bode well for gas vehicle resale values.
as we've already seen, limiting supply drives prices up. Limiting, blocking or cancelling drilling leases as gov't policy has changed America from self sufficient with a surplus of oil (Lower gas prices 1 year ago) to asking OPEC to increase supply to maybe help bring pricing back down some. Unless there is a policy change at the top, I wouldn't look for prices to come back down much near term and continue rising in the future as restricted supplies tied with push to move away from fossil fuels and ICE engines makes oil products harder to find and use.

* this is not intended to be a political discussion- just reading the tea leaves on current and future situation on gas prices *

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I drove a Tacoma a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed anymore. I have owned two of them (1st gen and 2nd gen) but the new Tacoma (3rd gen) isn't what the old ones were in comfort and quality.

What I didn't like:

1. The way you sit in the Tacoma is more car like than truck like.
2. The 4 cyclinder double cab is way underpowered and the ride is very flex oriented. The truck needs to be much stiffer. If set on a 4cyclinder I would only entertain buying a manual.
3. Tacoma quality is still above average but not what it was for 2nd generation. On the other hand Toyota quality and long term quality runs rings around Ford and will be worth more than a Ford will ever be.
4. The bed sidewalls are a plactic/composite now not steel.
5. The payload limit was awful.
6. The legacy, popularity of the Tacoma and perceived quality is built into the price.

But comparing a Tacoma to a Maverick is like comparing apples to oranges. They are built to do two different things.

OP
OP
CASD57

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I drove a Tacoma a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed anymore. I have owned two of them (1st gen and 2nd gen) but the new Tacoma (3rd gen) isn't what the old ones were in comfort and quality.

What I didn't like:

1. The way you sit in the Tacoma is more car like than truck like.
2. The 4 cyclinder double cab is way underpowered and the ride is very flex oriented. The truck needs to be much stiffer. If set on a 4cyclinder I would only entertain buying a manual.
3. Tacoma quality is still above average but not what it was for 2nd generation. On the other hand Toyota quality and long term quality runs rings around Ford and will be worth more than a Ford will ever be.
4. The bed sidewalls are a plactic/composite now not steel.
5. The payload limit was awful.
6. The legacy, popularity of the Tacoma and perceived quality is built into the price.

But comparing a Tacoma to a Maverick is like comparing apples to oranges. They are built to do two different things.
Being I'm looking for a daily driver, comfort, city/mpg, haul yard stuff once in a while, more car comfort then truck, I think the Maverick still clicks all the boxes for me. I just don't need a "Truck". I need a commuter light duty pick up with SUV feel

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If set on a 4cyclinder I would only entertain buying a manual.
Sorry - for 2021 a manual transmission is available only for Tacomas equipped with V-6 and 4-wheel drive.

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
doesn't look like you accounted for the $1495.00 delivery charge on the Mavericks? That would affect loan amount and OTD final figures? Are you also accounting for any Documentation, Title, Tax, and license $ in there someplace too? My Senior brain wants to know.
it was the price of my builds minus 6k (my trade in + down payment) so it says 19 but really my XL was 25ish as it was AWD 2.0T
Sponsored