First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What assumptions did you use for the price of a gallon of gas 10 years from now?

If gasoline costs $10/gallon you'll see a much lower resale value for the Taco or any gas-only vehicle.

On the other hand, by 2031 everyone may be driving Teslas, so gas might cost 29 cents/gallon again. :D
You are absolutely right, so I just used today’s price and said NOPE NOT CHANGING. Best way would have been to figure out the mean pricing but I don’t have a crystal ball
Sponsored

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I drove a Tacoma a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed anymore. I have owned two of them (1st gen and 2nd gen) but the new Tacoma (3rd gen) isn't what the old ones were in comfort and quality.

What I didn't like:

1. The way you sit in the Tacoma is more car like than truck like.
2. The 4 cyclinder double cab is way underpowered and the ride is very flex oriented. The truck needs to be much stiffer. If set on a 4cyclinder I would only entertain buying a manual.
3. Tacoma quality is still above average but not what it was for 2nd generation. On the other hand Toyota quality and long term quality runs rings around Ford and will be worth more than a Ford will ever be.
4. The bed sidewalls are a plactic/composite now not steel.
5. The payload limit was awful.
6. The legacy, popularity of the Tacoma and perceived quality is built into the price.

But comparing a Tacoma to a Maverick is like comparing apples to oranges. They are built to do two different things.
I have a 2nd Gen 2005 SR5 V-6 TRD off-road w/260K miles. Bought it new late 2004 and still love it. Most dependable vehicle I’ve ever owned. I do all the maintenance myself and it has rewarded me. I’m going to literally cry when I sell it for my Maverick. It’s Family.

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2nd Gen 2005 SR5 V-6 TRD off-road w/260K miles. Bought it new late 2004 and still love it. Most dependable vehicle I’ve ever owned. I do all the maintenance myself and it has rewarded me. I’m going to literally cry when I sell it for my Maverick. It’s Family.
I was that way on my first gen. Manual everything, 4cyclinder regular cab 4x4 with bed cap. 310,000 miles before I sold it to an employee who really needed some wheels. He kept it for another 110,000 before selling it in Mexico to get a plane ticket home.

With Tacoma's cult following and todays market you will get a pretty penny for yours and it is just getting broken in. If I was closer I would entertain purchasing it.

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was that way on my first gen. Manual everything, 4cyclinder regular cab 4x4 with bed cap. 310,000 miles before I sold it to an employee who really needed some wheels. He kept it for another 110,000 before selling it in Mexico to get a plane ticket home.

With Tacoma's cult following and todays market you will get a pretty penny for yours and it is just getting broken in. If I was closer I would entertain purchasing it.
Must’ve been a helluva time in Mexico for your employee to need to sell the truck....

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As it exists, I don't find the Tacoma to be a good choice. Poor mileage, awful sitting position, super dated interior and tech...and on and on.

Sponsored

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
I had a 2019. Worst truck I’ve owned. I can only imagine how bad the 4 cylinder is, the 6 wasn’t very good. Lots of power over 3500 rpms. Had recalls, had to have the tailgate repainted due to dirt under the factory paint. Had the trans computer reflashed several times to try to get it to stop hunting gears. Recall of fuel pump, truck wandered down the road (even after alignment). WAY overhyped.

OP
OP
CASD57

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I've bailed on that idea...Called the salesman and told I'm out of the market for a Tacoma...
Can't wait for the Mavrick..

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
I haven't driven in or even sat in a current generation Tacoma, but read some reports on those when researching mid-size trucks I might be interested in (before Maverick appeared) and a common complaint was uncomfortable seating position. It seems the seats are mounted lower in the cab than other trucks and a lot of people don't like the angle of your legs and torso from that and even some complaints that makes long drives tortuous.
Can CONFIRM this. I was on the fence with Tacoma SR or SR5.
Once sitting in a 2021 Tacoma....thoughts are...

CONS
  1. Horrible seating position. 3rd party bracket or not...
  2. Less back leg room, seat to low for proper thigh support, seat back more upright SERIOUSLY...NO ARM REST...it's 2021....
  3. Bed to high off ground, even though they lowered the bed side...feels just like full size.
  4. 33K SR plain on the inside. Interestingly the 45K TRD crowd is plasti dipping everything to look like an SR...LOL
  5. 4cyl dog slow...feels dated...tough motor though.
  6. High step in to the cab.

PROS
  1. Resale value if keeping short term.
  2. Toyota perceived quality.
  3. Styling all around is nice.
If driving thru IRAQ or some South America country...choose the Toyota. I'm a previous owner of Toyota trucks....skin is thin as anything...but structure is tough...
BUT...we are in the USA...for daily light duty and driving dynamics....its MAVERICK all the way!!!
Good on ya FORD!

Test drove MAV yesterday. Impressed at the solid feel and driving dynamics.
HATE hate the cheap look infotainment screen....sits to upright and the trim is cheap...but I can get used to it as everything else works and seems built to last long term. I haven't own an American car since 98 Mustang...great car....so the Maverick will me dipping my toes back in....hope it doesn't disappoint.

She''ll enjoy visits to our family farm with a 315K 1989 Ford Ranger. Still working on the farm.

Last edited:

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
Can CONFIRM this. I was on the fence with Tacoma SR or SR5.
Once sitting in the 2021....thoughts are...

CONS
1. Horrible horrible horrible seating position. 3rd party bracket or not...looks roomy on outside...cramped on inside.
2. Back seat, less leg room, seat low to ground for proper thigh support, seat back more upright SERIOUSLY...NO ARM REST...it's 2021....
3. Bed to high off ground, even though they lowered the bed side...feels just like full size.
4. Plain Plain on the inside. Funny the 45K TRD crowd is plasty dipping everything to look like an SR on the inside...LOL
5. 4cyl dog slow...felt decade old which it is basically...tough motor though.
6. High step in to the cab.

PROS
Toyota perceived quality.
Style is nice.
If driving thru IRAQ or some South America country...choose the Toyota. I'm a previously owner of one and they are tough trucks....skin is thin an anything...but structure is tough...
BUT we are in the USA and for daily and light duty and driving dynamics....it's
MAVERICK all the way!!!
Good on ya FORD!

Test drove MAV yesterday. Impressed at the solid feel and driving dynamics.
HATE hate the cheap look infotainment screen....sits to upright and the trim is cheap...but I can get used to it as everything else works and seems built to last long term. I haven't own an American car since 98 Mustang...great car....so the Maverick will me dipping my toes back in....hope it doesn't disappoint.

She''ll enjoy visits to our family farm with a 315K 1989 Ford Ranger. Still working on the farm.
I would have liked to have the Lariat Pkg with a soft dash and soft door panels, for the extra cost it should be included. I also would like to have seen the info screen as a full screen and built into dash, it looks like a last minute add on.
Sponsored