Sponsored

Tow hitch install -- have Uhaul or Ford dealer do the work?

Scotts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Just got my XL Mav from Carvana. Didn't come with tow hitch. Is Uhaul better (cheaper) to have tow hitch installed vs Ford dealer? I did my own install on Subaru years ago but read install notes mentioning dropping exhaust and felt I didn't wanna tackle.
Sponsored

Dimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
Undecided
Usually having anyone other than a dealer do anything is cheaper.
As long as the hitch is installed like nearly any other hitch most mechanics can do it as well.

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got my XL Mav from Carvana. Didn't come with tow hitch. Is Uhaul better (cheaper) to have tow hitch installed vs Ford dealer? I did my own install on Subaru years ago but read install notes mentioning dropping exhaust and felt I didn't wanna tackle.
I won't say if it is cheaper or not because I don't know but think about this: Who does more hitch installs, your dealer or U-haul? I think U-haul should know just about everything about hitches there is to be known because that's about all they do.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It depends on if they need to put in a new bumper. Seriously, I bolted a hitch to my Saturn Vue and it already had wiring set aside I could tap into. Took me longer to wire it than to attach the hitch. But my 2020 Escape would need a new bumper to have a hitch installed because Ford actually repositions the back-up collision sensor depending on whether you have a hitch or not. In that case, the dealer would likely be the better option since they are literally having to take the vehicle apart.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It depends on if they need to put in a new bumper. Seriously, I bolted a hitch to my Saturn Vue and it already had wiring set aside I could tap into. Took me longer to wire it than to attach the hitch. But my 2020 Escape would need a new bumper to have a hitch installed because Ford actually repositions the back-up collision sensor depending on whether you have a hitch or not. In that case, the dealer would likely be the better option since they are literally having to take the vehicle apart.
It's the foot-activated lift gate sensors that are modified when a hitch is installed. Not the backup sensors - those are well clear of the center of the bumper cover on either side. The bumper cover may or may not need to have an opening cut in it to fit the hitch, I forget.

The way the FALG works is that there are two parallel beams running left to right under the rear of the vehicle. Without a hitch, these are just two continuous beams. With a hitch, there's a break in the middle (so it's really two beams on the left and two beams on the right, connected in the middle via a wire). That's to leave a gap around the hitch in case anything should interfere with it. End result is that you have to wave your foot on either side of the hitch, can't do it directly under the hitch.

Ford offers a conversion kit with the replacement sensors (the ones with a break in the middle around the hitch) should you install a hitch later.

What they don't officially offer is a way to retrofit the FALG sensors onto an Escape that was built without them. Mine was ordered with that feature, but was delivered without it, with a whopping $55 credit on the window sticker (that won't even buy the parts). Need to look into if it's even possible to add it back in.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's the foot-activated lift gate sensors that are modified when a hitch is installed. Not the backup sensors - those are well clear of the center of the bumper cover on either side. The bumper cover may or may not need to have an opening cut in it to fit the hitch, I forget.

The way the FALG works is that there are two parallel beams running left to right under the rear of the vehicle. Without a hitch, these are just two continuous beams. With a hitch, there's a break in the middle (so it's really two beams on the left and two beams on the right, connected in the middle via a wire). That's to leave a gap around the hitch in case anything should interfere with it. End result is that you have to wave your foot on either side of the hitch, can't do it directly under the hitch.

Ford offers a conversion kit with the replacement sensors (the ones with a break in the middle around the hitch) should you install a hitch later.

What they don't officially offer is a way to retrofit the FALG sensors onto an Escape that was built without them. Mine was ordered with that feature, but was delivered without it, with a whopping $55 credit on the window sticker (that won't even buy the parts). Need to look into if it's even possible to add it back in.
I stand corrected. I knew it was some sensor or another.

That foot sensor is hit or miss as it is.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would do it myself but also ask a local shop that does trailer hitch installs other than U-haul and they might even be cheaper. Dealer would prolly cost the most. Starting to see more aftermarket tow items for the Maverick so look around.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I stand corrected. I knew it was some sensor or another.

That foot sensor is hit or miss as it is.
Just to visualize it, here's the diagram. See 14F680A/B - the green and blue options.

Ford Maverick Tow hitch install -- have Uhaul or Ford dealer do the work? 1664566769658

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Google hitch install on YouTube Do it yourself and save šŸ’°

FordTough

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Han
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Uhaul charges $210 installed with wire harness. Ford charges $156 for the hitch. Not sure how much to install the harness. If Ford is installing you'd likely need to buy Ford's harness which is only about $10 more than one from Curt, eTrailer, etc.

crgator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealer recommended a local business that does trailers, hitches, etc. A small family-owned business. When I talked to them I was impressed enough with how friendly they were, and based on that and the dealer's recommendation that I had them do the install. A lot cheaper than U-Haul as well. I did get the hitch and harness with points, so my out-of-pocket expense was cheap.

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If itā€™s a Uhaul place, make sure the person doing the install knows what theyā€™re doing. Ask questions.

mdwebby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3, 2006 Toyota RAV-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Uhaul charges $210 installed with wire harness. Ford charges $156 for the hitch. Not sure how much to install the harness. If Ford is installing you'd likely need to buy Ford's harness which is only about $10 more than one from Curt, eTrailer, etc.
My Ford dealer quoted me $849 to install a hitch and 4 pin harness. I was looking at doing it myself but itā€™s not just a bolt-up job. You have to lower the exhaust, remove and cut a panel, remove and run wires to both rear lights. Iā€™m more carpenter than mechanic but Iā€™m not keen on spending close to $900 for a hitch. Iā€™m gonna shop around for a better deal.
Sponsored