Sponsored

Took Delivery with a tailgate paint chip down to the primer/metal- Reasonable solution with dealer ?

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Took Delivery with a tailgate paint chip down to the primer/metal- Its not the end of the world but besides getting a bottle of touch up paint at no/charge what else would people do in this situation ?

Just curious-

Ford Maverick Took Delivery with a tailgate paint chip down to the primer/metal- Reasonable solution with dealer ? Chi

Sponsored

sn00pyguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sn00pyguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At the Max - See if the dealer will take care of it
At the Min - Buy the touch up paint and take care of it yourself.
The paint is very thin on these beasts and may not be fully cured.
Some say in 24 hours, then some say 60-90 days for curing.
Anyway, I have the mud flaps and bug shield to help prevent the chips.
Good luck.

Last edited:

AnthonyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had dents in my door and a scuff from the delivery truck. Dealer took the truck to the shop and returned it in a few hours like new.

most dealers work with guys that come once a week to handle dents and scuffs. They usually do touch up paint too, but in a much more pro method than us. They apply color, sand, apply, wet sand, apply clear, sand, buff and polish.

CZaugg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, 2021 Toyota Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t take delivery until after the vehicle has gone to the paint shop. The problem with touch up paint is it leaves a dimple. Needs to be professionally repaired. When job is complete, walk around the vehicle and check things out very carefully BEFORE signing the paperwork. On this forum there are some very good articles concerning what to look for BEFORE taking possession of your vehicle. Take that FREE bottle of touch up paint for later on. You WILL get paint chips later on. There are some good articles on the web with videos showing the best way to touch up. More involved than just putting a dab of paint on the chip. Good luck. Congratulations on getting your vehicle. I ordered mine the first part of October last year. Looking like it will be a 23 model for me.

AnthonyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t take delivery until after the vehicle has gone to the paint shop. The problem with touch up paint is it leaves a dimple. Needs to be professionally repaired. When job is complete, walk around the vehicle and check things out very carefully BEFORE signing the paperwork. On this forum there are some very good articles concerning what to look for BEFORE taking possession of your vehicle. Take that FREE bottle of touch up paint for later on. You WILL get paint chips later on. There are some good articles on the web with videos showing the best way to touch up. More involved than just putting a dab of paint on the chip. Good luck. Congratulations on getting your vehicle. I ordered mine the first part of October last year. Looking like it will be a 23 model for me.
ChrisFix has a good video

Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

At the Max - See if the dealer will take care of it
At the Min - Buy the touch up paint and take care of it yourself.
The paint is very thin on these beasts and may not be fully cured.
Some say in 24 hours, then some say 60-90 days for curing.
Anyway, I have the mud flaps and bug shield to help prevent the chips.
Good luck.
Where would one buy the touch up paint?

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After 8 months of waiting/agony- Was NOT going to delay delivery over a slight cosmetic issue, maybe in the world before COVID I would have but not going to risk this rig sitting on a lot enduring who knows what kind of issues or being sold out from underneath me. Got for under MSRP- Anyways- Hoping for some wet sanding and a proper chip repair and not me just putting on liquid paper :)

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Hard to tell the size or location of the chip but having the dealer do as little as possible with it (if very minor) is usually a good bet. My current white Mac was built in September and sat in the dessert for 3 months. Hard to tell about the paint cure but I have the standard 4 mils+ of paint thickness.

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hard to tell the size or location of the chip but having the dealer do as little as possible with it (if very minor) is usually a good bet. My current white Mac was built in September and sat in the dessert for 3 months. Hard to tell about the paint cure but I have the standard 4 mils+ of paint thickness.
Tailgate -
Ford Maverick Took Delivery with a tailgate paint chip down to the primer/metal- Reasonable solution with dealer ? 20220610_112516

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do not let them or insist they repaint an entire panel over a paint chip. Touch it up. You only paint a panel as last resort because the repaint will never be the same.

Sponsored

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’d make the dealer spring for a touch up paint. Little dab and now you have some for the next chip.

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’d make the dealer spring for a touch up paint. Little dab and now you have some for the next chip.
Not wanting a leftover dimple -

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am going to run you over with it and test ground clearance-

Seems excessive for suggesting you live with a small chip on a cheap entry level vehicle. You are a boomer I’m guessing.
Sponsored