Good tires for snow in FWD Maverick?

Equipenquin

First Name
Benji
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Whats a good affordable tire that I can have on all year round thats good on snow and ice and that doesn't negatively impact Hybrids EPA?
Does going up to 235/65r 17 really effect EPA?
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whats a good affordable tire that I can have on all year round thats good on snow and ice and that doesn't negatively impact Hybrids EPA?
Does going up to 235/65r 17 really effect EPA?
Have had great experience with Bridgestone Blizzaks

theEngineer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, '13 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have been very happy with my Michelin Defenders for all season/all weather driving on my Mazda 3. They handle rain and snow very well, and ice better than most.

The Maverick will be my first truck, so I'm not sure if the handling is different between trucks and cars.

Sponsored

Steve CAK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
General AltiMAX RT43 have been good for me in the snow. Comfortable and quiet ride as well.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you live up north, I would honestly recommend a second set of rims and tires for snow regardless of drivetrain. They make a world of difference. I was never a believer until I actually purchased a set. The control you have over all seasons is unreal.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been very happy with my Michelin Defenders for all season/all weather driving on my Mazda 3. They handle rain and snow very well, and ice better than most.

The Maverick will be my first truck, so I'm not sure if the handling is different between trucks and cars.
Defenders are a great all-season tire, but they are not as good as a dedicated winter tire in the snow.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... are a great all-season tire, but they are not as good as a dedicated winter tire in the snow.
This is true, to a point... you're really looking for 3PMS, 3-peak mountain snowflake icon. All snow tires will have it. In recent years, good summer tires have been introduced with 3PMS.
Ford Maverick Good tires for snow in FWD Maverick? 1627260037855

These have a 3PMS. I've put them on 4 cars. They handle like snow tires in the snow. My wife, a teacher, does fine getting to school early. They are not as good on ice as one of the studless ice tires, but they'll last through the summer, and be fun to drive to boot!

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
This is true, to a point... you're really looking for 3PMS, 3-peak mountain snowflake icon. All snow tires will have it. In recent years, good summer tires have been introduced with 3PMS.
1627260037855.png

These have a 3PMS. I've put them on 4 cars. They handle like snow tires in the snow. My wife, a teacher, does fine getting to school early. They are not as good on ice as one of the studless ice tires, but they'll last through the summer, and be fun to drive to boot!
Don’t put too much faith in the 3PMS. They are required to perform marginally better than all seasons. The BFG all terrains I used to have on my Sprinter had it, and it performed poorly in the snow. The tread would pack with snow and I would have no traction. Dedicated snows are a very worthwhile investment.

Sponsored

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t put too much faith in the 3PMS. They are required to perform marginally better than all seasons. The BFG all terrains I used to have on my Sprinter had it, and it performed poorly in the snow. The tread would pack with snow and I would have no traction. Dedicated snows are a very worthwhile investment.
Thank you for sharing. If the 3PMS is not so reliable, is there any other way for us to identify good snow tires?

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for sharing. If the 3PMS is not so reliable, is there any other way for us to identify good snow tires?
Go check out customer reviews for a specific tire you are interested in on tirerack.com website. If a tire has a few hundred reviews and still holds to a high rating, then you may have found a great tire. Blizzaks dedicated snow tires score very high with consumers on tirerack.com website.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go check out customer reviews for a specific tire you are interested in on tirerack.com website. If a tire has a few hundred reviews and still holds to a high rating, then you may have found a great tire. Blizzaks dedicated snow tires score very high with consumers on tirerack.com website.
Thank you. I have learned some good tricks in this forum.

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you. I have learned some good tricks in this forum.
You will almost always find a few consumers that have had a negative experience with a tire and gave a 1 out of 5 star review. These are statistic anomalies and can usually be ignored. However, if you see a recurring theme in the negative reviews, then the consumer may be on to something. Tirerack.com is pretty good about identifying verified purchases, and listing how many miles the consumer has driven on the tires in question, as well as the total accumulated mileage. Sometimes in the millions of miles!

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Cooper AT3s. I know most of you are laughing at me!

You may take a 1 mpg hit versus stock street tires. I did. I have owned several sets and just love em. Made in USA and I always, always get more miles than the warranty. Great in snow. Great on gravel. And great on wet pavement. Really good price too!

Or out in Ohio I bet you can find the Mastercraft ATX2. Same tire. Mastercraft is owned by Cooper. Better price yet. I think Mastercraft was originally Ohio Rubber Co. (fact check ?) and bought by Cooper in the 1930's. I got a set on my F150 now and they are excellent. And quiet.
Sponsored