Sponsored

Tire or Drivetrain issue >70 mph. (Solved)

Manellous

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 Lariat Lux FX4 4K
I have noticed that my Lariat AWD FX4 with Black Aluminum Rims and Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires gets a bit squirrely at any speed above 70. Almost feels as if the tires are out of balance or a yoke on a front CV is bent. I have checked the tire pressures and the road I am driving on is smooth (I drove the same road 2 times a day for the past 4 months in my 2020 Escape Titanium 2.0 AWD and it was like driving on glass) Anyone else noticing this issue?

ISSUE SOLVED: Found the problem... My Passenger Front tire was road forcing 40 and under weight by .75oz on the balance. They adjusted the tire and added the weight and put it on the rear and now the truck drives smooth. The other tires were spot on in RF and Bal. I guess the guy doing the mounting/balancing took a break in the middle of working on this tire...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
I have noticed that my Lariat AWD FX4 with Black Aluminum Rims and Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires gets a bit squirrely at any speed above 70. Almost feels as if the tires are out of balance or a yoke on a front CV is bent. I have checked the tire pressures and the road I am driving on is smooth (I drove the same road 2 times a day for the past 4 months in my 2020 Escape Titanium 2.0 AWD and it was like driving on glass) Anyone else noticing this issue?
By "squirrely" do you mean steering wheel/gas pedal vibration (harmonics) or something else? Vibration issues are maddening, as you've noted there could be many things in play. As others will no doubt suggest - if you can, take it back to the dealer, outline the issue, hopefully they'll test-drive it (with you as passenger), see if they can replicate the issue. How many miles on it? Wouldn't be surprised if dealer says "drive it until you have around xxx hundred miles on it and then come back if it's still an issue".

Wheel balance and/or driveline (drive shafts) balance come to mind first as likely culprits. An issue I had (which you won't have had) is I once bought a 'birthday' truck (an unpopularly optioned F150 that had sat in dealer inventory just over a year). I was aware that flat spots on the tires could be an issue (assuming they didn't periodically rotate/move the truck to prevent that), but price was too tempting and I bought it. Yes it had apparent flat spots, slight vibration (harmonics) above 70 mph. By the time I had put 1000 miles on the truck the vibration had cured itself. But worrisome until it stopped. Could be driveline related but that's rarer than wheels/tires problems.

Road force balancing "might" solve your problem if it's wheel/tire related - but it would cost you which you don't want. So see if your dealer can do initial trouble-shooting on their dime first.

OP
OP

Manellous

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Squirrely- Steering wheel and body gets shakes. Not that noticeable at speeds lower than 70ish. My dealership sucks at identifying issues with tires/wheels or driveline. "If it is fine at 70 mph then there is no issues. You should never drive your vehicle faster than that." is the message my service department give me. I have a local tire shop that has new road-force balancers and they treat me well. If I find out what it is I will report back.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does the hood flutter over 70 MPH?

Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Is the road cement with parallel groves to direction of travel? I had similar issues with certain types of tires on this type of road.. I know you said smooth but had to ask.. One thing to check is make sure you lug nut are tight!

Reactions: HPR

ziggystar84

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Alto Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
no issues for me

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does the hood flutter over 70 MPH?
I finally got to test drive a Maverick was VERY HAPPY! with the ride quality. Unfortunately it was already sold 😭 Only got up to 55-60 no noticeable vibrations at that speed but yes I did notice the hood flutter.

Ford Maverick Tire or Drivetrain issue >70 mph. (Solved) PXL_20211023_175257842

OP
OP

Manellous

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the road cement with parallel groves to direction of travel? I had similar issues with certain types of tires on this type of road.. I know you said smooth but had to ask.. One thing to check is make sure you lug nut are tight!
Oh good point... will check.

Sponsored

vabchusa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I had a similar problem that tire dealers tried to cure. Balanced tires about 3 times (both spin and static) before taking the tires off and finding a small ball of rubber made from loose rubber dust inside the tire.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Manellous

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found the problem... My Passenger Front tire was road forcing 40 and under weight by .75oz on the balance. They adjusted the tire and added the weight and put it on the rear and now the truck drives smooth. The other tires were spot on in RF and Bal. I guess the guy doing the mounting/balancing took a break in the middle of working on this tire...

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Found the problem... My Passenger Front tire was road forcing 40 and under weight by .75oz on the balance. They adjusted the tire and added the weight and put it on the rear and now the truck drives smooth. The other tires were spot on in RF and Bal. I guess the guy doing the mounting/balancing took a break in the middle of working on this tire...
had to check his IG or FB alerts in the middle of the job.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't you mean Mr. Robot:

rrawdog

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I finally got to test drive a Maverick was VERY HAPPY! with the ride quality. Unfortunately it was already sold 😭 Only got up to 55-60 no noticeable vibrations at that speed but yes I did notice the hood flutter.

PXL_20211023_175257842.jpg
I wanted to check that one out but didn't have the time last week! And by the time I was able to it was gone. Now time to wait for them to have another so I can scratch the itch before my order eventually shows up!
Sponsored