First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
When you compare the XL and XLT trim you should not compare just the price difference at purchase.
  1. The XL trim level will be less desirable than XLT at resale.
  2. A used XLT will sell for more reducing if not even eliminating the additional $2285 asked as new.
  3. All this putting aside the many options in XLT (for me as well the cruise control was a must..)
  4. Probably even the lease of XL and XLT will show a minimal $ difference
  5. I see the XL trim as something purchased by a fleet
  6. Years from now a savvy customer may buy it at a larger discount from a dealer that wants to move it from the lot.
I am writing this not to antagonize XL trim buyers; it is going to be just fine with the XL. I just hope to bring some points as there is still time to upgrade before scheduling.
I didn't need cruise and I wanted AWD and keep the price under $30,000 the XL let me do that. I will miss heated seats and mirror.
Sponsored

hr1551

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL w/ hitch and drop-in liner
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered XL, will miss cruise control for the few times on the highway when it is indeed useful. Plan to swap an aluminum rim, used stock steel for winter tire. Other than that, it fits my needs perfectly.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had an XL order then switch to XLT since after I optioned my XL it came too close to an XLT. But after seeing the inside of an XL finally, I have the urge to go back.

I wonder how disatisfied will I be if I spec my XL close to bare minimum? I'm keeping the truck for 10+ years (at least that's the plan), never needed cruise control, have other cars with all the bells and whistles, will be driving this everyday. As far as the XL spec, I'm thinking just the bed in spray liner.

Initially I had a Co Pilot, tonneau roll up hard, tow hitch, outlet, and floor mats.

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on how you order it.

A base XL, XLT, or Lariat will have the painted metal bed. Here's a video of one:

There's standalone options for spray in bed liner (the black material you see in most of the promo trucks), a drop in plastic bedliner, a bed mat (a rubber mat that covers just the floor of the bed)

The spray in bedliner is packaged into the XLT Luxury and Lariat Luxury packages, so if you order one of those, you'll have a black bed with a material sprayed in that's designed to protect the bed and stand up to abrasions from you sliding things in and out or dropping junk on the bed.

I'm getting an XLT without the Luxury package and having a local dealer for Line-X do a coating on the bed, similar to the factory spray in liner, except I can choose to have a UV coating on top to protect the coating against the sun, or pick their top tier product that's quite a bit stronger than the regular LineX or factory spray in liner (extra cost and probably super overkill on the Maverick)

The base metal bed will look nice new but wear as you use it. I recommend a spray in liner, either direct from ford or through one of the aftermarket companies (Linex, bulletliner, speed liner etc)

This is pretty standard for trucks. Next time you're in a parking lot, look into truck beds and see what different people are doing with their trucks. It's pretty easy for me to see all of the options above in a Home Depot parking lot and see how the beds are wearing with use on each
Damn!! Thanks, Balu. I have seen 50-100 photos of the XL bed, and every one of them had the [as it turns out OPTIONAL] spray liner, so I just assumed that it came with the truck. So, I have contacted my salesman (voicemail) to get back with me right away, as I don't know if he can install the spray-in liner. I don't want to change my order with Ford, as that might delay the manufacture of my specific truck. So. I need to find out from my dealer (a) the cost of the spray-in liner, or (b) the cost of the drop-in plastic liner. Damn, this is the story of my life...

Thanks again.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the XL is the best "truck" in the line. That doesn't mean the others aren't good, they are! But, the XL is true to truck heritage before they became the luxury barges they are today. And for full disclosure, I drive a Lincoln, but bought an XL.

The XL offers a lot at its price point. Even with "core" truck options (AWD/4WD, Tow package, 2.0 engine) it is a bargain. Co-pilot 360 gets you power mirrors. I live in the snowbelt and even I think heated mirrors are generally unnecessary. Especially for normal folks who put $20K and up assets in garages or barns rather than out in the driveway to rot.

Cruise control can be added very inexpensively. So can heated seats. Look into it if it is a concern. And remember, heated seats are still optional on XLT and Lariat trims!

Steel wheels do not bother me. A nice set of bolt-on wheel covers go a long way in dressing things up. Aftermarket wheels are also an option for less than what XLT and up will cost.

A smart shopper, one that doesn't get addicted to option heroin, can build a really nice XL that can do real work, be reliable and cover all essential "needs" if one is honest with themselves. And, they can do it it for around $26K.

As for resale, those looking for work trucks will pay for them. It's simple supply and demand. Base trims are hard to find, and they sell quickly when they hit the market. There is no shortage of an XLT anything, so prices remain competitive. It's just that the new truck market for base trucks is smaller and less profitable. But, in the used market they can be gold.

Sponsored

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Damn!! Thanks, Balu. I have seen 50-100 photos of the XL bed, and every one of them had the [as it turns out OPTIONAL] spray liner, so I just assumed that it came with the truck. So, I have contacted my salesman (voicemail) to get back with me right away, as I don't know if he can install the spray-in liner. I don't want to change my order with Ford, as that might delay the manufacture of my specific truck. So. I need to find out from my dealer (a) the cost of the spray-in liner, or (b) the cost of the drop-in plastic liner. Damn, this is the story of my life...

Thanks again.
Most dealers will have a bedliner supplier. If you want to keep the dealer honest, try calling a Line-X dealer to see what they would charge for the 4.5' bed on your future Maverick. I see you're in Maryland, I googled Line-X Maryland and this was the first result:
Line-X of Laurel

9375 Davis Ave, Laurel, MD 20723
(301) 317-4737 https://g.co/kgs/qiHAoZ

You can see some pictures of the work they've done on the Google reviews page too, to see what it looks like before and after in other trucks.

Anyway, welcome to the truck world. I've found that after owning a truck, it's hard to not have one in my life, especially as a DIY/homeowner/idiot that buys random large and oddly shaped things from classifieds and auctions

villageidiot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many many in the past, none currently
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Thanks again.
line-x'ing my former ranger was about $575 all in after UV coating etc. so id expect it to be a bit less maybe. maybe not.

Macro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
When you compare the XL and XLT trim you should not compare just the price difference at purchase.
  1. The XL trim level will be less desirable than XLT at resale.
  2. A used XLT will sell for more reducing if not even eliminating the additional $2285 asked as new.
  3. All this putting aside the many options in XLT (for me as well the cruise control was a must..)
  4. Probably even the lease of XL and XLT will show a minimal $ difference
  5. I see the XL trim as something purchased by a fleet
  6. Years from now a savvy customer may buy it at a larger discount from a dealer that wants to move it from the lot.
I am writing this not to antagonize XL trim buyers; it is going to be just fine with the XL. I just hope to bring some points as there is still time to upgrade before scheduling.
1, 2, 6. Buying a super economy car for the resale value? Ok...
3. This is obviously the entire calculation when you're deciding whether or not the XLT is worth the upgrade.
4. True, but I'm not leasing and it doesn't sound like the OP is. I haven't heard a lot of people at all saying they're leasing. But if you are, yes, getting the XLT is a no-brainer.
5. So? What does this have to do with someone deciding between an XL and an XLT

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1, 2, 6. Buying a super economy car for the resale value? Ok...
3. This is obviously the entire calculation when you're deciding whether or not the XLT is worth the upgrade.
4. True, but I'm not leasing and it doesn't sound like the OP is. I haven't heard a lot of people at all saying they're leasing. But if you are, yes, getting the XLT is a no-brainer.
5. So? What does this have to do with someone deciding between an XL and an XLT
My point was that if you keep the vehicle for 3-5 years the net cost on an XLT will be pretty much the same as the XL. So I thought of saying to the undecided buy the XLT and enjoy its extra package.
At the end, it will not cost 2K more but a net of $1000-$500 if even and it is a more liquid asset to sell/trade..

Sponsored

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm happy with the price of the XL and standard features. All I will be adding aftermarket is cruise control for me and heated seats for the wife. To get those options from ford would mean a $4000 upgrade to the XLT luxury package

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm happy with the price of the XL and standard features. All I will be adding aftermarket is cruise control for me and heated seats for the wife. To get those options from ford would mean a $4000 upgrade to the XLT luxury package
It's actually closer to $4630.😮

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
I've got a F150XLT. No use for most of the options, except cruise. Which my 2000 F150XL had.
With disc brakes the fancy wheels end up looking like crap anyway.

silvy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I originally was going the XL route, but ended up ordering the XLT. I agree with a lot of posters....the XLT interior is not that desirable. However, I like the wheels, cruise, and power adjustable mirrors in the XLT. So that, IMO, offsets the interior.
Sponsored