Sponsored

Test drive, My thoughts on the XLT AWD Maverick.

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
  • Banned
I was able to drive an EcoBoost Maverick. We all know what we are getting into so I will make it short:

1. White looks really nice in person. I was surprised, honestly.
2. The Interior was unoffensive. The Navy Pier does not stick out like a sore thumb. Our cellphones are oversaturating these colors. There are plenty of other colors in the mix to make it blend without issue IMO.
3. I'm a big dude. I am 6ft at 270 lbs. The front seat felt very big and plenty of leg space. This was a huge relief for me. I stated before, I know what I look like in my single cab 97 Ranger. This is nothing like that. Having fairly long legs makes sitting behind me only for tiny people or kids.
4. The first thing I noticed when going for a test drive, was that the hood shook and looked bouncy like my old 71 Chevy truck looked. It must be quite thin. Looking under the hood. there is a lot of space, and seeing the body panels from under the hood perspective made it look like a RC Car shell. Maybe this is normal these days.
5. Lots of getty up. The Sport Track mode is perfectly named. The truck went into an " I identify as a racecar on a track " mode with quick downshifts at higher rpms thinking it was a manual. Pretty cool.
6. I am not used to vehicles that start and stop. At a red light I went to turn the wheel and it didn't move. That was a weird feeling.
7. The markup was $6,995.

That's it!

Ford Maverick Test drive, My thoughts on the XLT AWD Maverick. 1White Maverick1

Ford Maverick Test drive, My thoughts on the XLT AWD Maverick. 2White Maverick 2
Sponsored

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hood flutter drives me nuts. This is common on cheaper cars. Perhaps you can adjust the rubber stoppers to where they make firmer contact and this does not happen.

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
  • Banned
Hood flutter drives me nuts. This is common on cheaper cars. Perhaps you can adjust the rubber stoppers to where they make firmer contact and this does not happen.
It was instantly obvious. It bugged me a bit.

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
  • Banned
I should say that the hood flutter that I noticed was right at the windshield.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe no modern car *should* do that, but a lot of them do. Two cars in my close circle have this issue - one is an Elantra and one is a Prius. Both cost more than a Maverick XLT, the Prius significantly more.

teamsauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
I noticed hood flutter on my 2017 Mustang at 80-90mph. Found a kit online that had some rubber stoppers you could install to help. Seemed to work. Hoping they have something similar if it's an issue.

Sponsored

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
I was able to drive an EcoBoost Maverick. We all know what we are getting into so I will make it short:

1. White looks really nice in person. I was surprised, honestly.
2. The Interior was unoffensive. The Navy Pier does not stick out like a sore thumb. Our cellphones are oversaturating these colors. There are plenty of other colors in the mix to make it blend without issue IMO.
3. I'm a big dude. I am 6ft at 270 lbs. The front seat felt very big and plenty of leg space. This was a huge relief for me. I stated before, I know what I look like in my single cab 97 Ranger. This is nothing like that. Having fairly long legs makes sitting behind me only for tiny people or kids.
4. The first thing I noticed when going for a test drive, was that the hood shook and looked bouncy like my old 71 Chevy truck looked. It must be quite thin. Looking under the hood. there is a lot of space, and seeing the body panels from under the hood perspective made it look like a RC Car shell. Maybe this is normal these days.
5. Lots of getty up. The Sport Track mode is perfectly named. The truck went into an " I identify as a racecar on a track " mode with quick downshifts at higher rpms thinking it was a manual. Pretty cool.
6. I am not used to vehicles that start and stop. At a red light I went to turn the wheel and it didn't move. That was a weird feeling.
7. The markup was $6,995.

That's it!

1White Maverick1.jpg

2White Maverick 2.jpg
That white does look pretty sharp.

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
I hope there is a quick fix, I feel like no modern car should do that.

If anything modern cars will do it more and more. They're under a two way pinch from regulations, on the one hand ever more extremes CAFE mileage standards, on the other ever more stringent crash test requirements.

It's definitely part of the reason cars are so expensive nowadays. A metal that is both constantly stronger and lighter is unobtanium.

So if you think about it the panels are a logical place to cut corners. They wont affect crash tests like the frame, but they will save weight for MPG. Every ounce counts. Literally.

Interestingly if you read about these turbocharged motors, they dont save MPG with any inherent efficiency, they work in a roundbout way by being smaller and lighter for the same power. So if you have a 10% lighter engine with the same power, bang, MPG savings! You can tell how small these turbo motors are in the engine bay, it's all empty space!

Anyways I feel like this is an issue I wont care about. Also I'm coming from a 2013 beater so I feel like anything new will seem like a mercedes to me. While at the same time I'm weirdly OC about other QC issues. I have an AR (rifle) with receiver wobble that doesnt affect anything but really bothers me, for example.

BTW the aptly names ASS (auto start stop) can be turned off on a per trip basis (you probably knew that), and at least for Ranger and I assume F-150, there is an aftermarket company that sell a 99 dollar adapter to make the switch selection stick (off stays off until you turn it back on, not the next trip) and they seem to work well. I assume someone will invent one for the Maverick. Not sure if I'd bother or just turn it off every trip.

Last edited:

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How was the seat comfort? The cushioning?

OP
OP
KenC

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
How was the seat comfort? The cushioning?
Because of injuries to my low back and knees, seat comfort is extremely important. They felt very comfortable. If a chair or seat is uncomfortable for me, I know within seconds. I think you will be happy with its comfort. I was for sure.
Sponsored