Sponsored

My Maverick Order arrived. Test drive and follow up to my experience with a Maverick rented on Turo

DentedFrood

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Hatch
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my previous post, I rented a Maverick on Turo and posted about 3 issues which felt like potential deal breakers for me. My ordered Maverick arrived this week and I took it for a test drive and specifically paid attention to these 3 items
  1. Loud clicking/rattling noise from engine/engine bay
    1. Brand new Maverick was considerably quieter. You could clearly still hear the engine, but it was the noise level was considerably lower than the Turo Maverick. It was closer in sound level to my GTI, which has and engine cover and hood insulation, than the Turo Maverick. Which makes me think back to my initial test drive of a used Maverick where I did not take any real notice of engine noise.
  2. Sluggish acceleration, would say the engine seems anemic
    1. The new Maverick didn't feel like it was struggling to accelerate. In normal driving it behaved fine. I can't say it felt quick either, but I also didn't push it any as it only had 10 miles on it.
  3. Bottom seat cushion was uncomfortable, appears to be due to seam placement/type of seam used
    1. While the seam was in exactly the same place, I wasn't noticing it feeling uncomfortable. I tried to bounce and shift around, see if I could make it dig in the same way it did on the Turo Maverick and it didn't. Not sure it was just because it was new, and if this would be something I would notice more as the seats broke in, but on initial use it wasn't uncomfortable.
So, as others speculated in the previous thread, something definitely appears to have been wrong with the Turo Maverick. It had less than 5000 miles on it, and supposedly I was only the 4th person to rent it, but something about it was not healthy

Ultimately I decided not to take delivery of my Maverick. So if any of you are interested in a 2023 XLT in Cyber Orange with 4K Tow, FX4, XLT Luxury Package, and Co-Pilot360, it can be found at Huntersville Ford. I think they have it marked up almost 6K though.

My decision wasn't due to any of the above as they appear to be non-issues, but some of the excitement of a new vehicle faded after the rental. I also didn't want to get rid of my GTI as I enjoy driving it, and the use case for a second vehicle just didn't feel like the money was justified to spend on the Maverick at this time. In the future may be better off with a vehicle with larger interior cargo capacity and at some point will probably need a small enclosed trailer.

Ford Maverick My Maverick Order arrived. Test drive and follow up to my experience with a Maverick rented on Turo 20230322_170045
Sponsored

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like you made the right choice. I always have contended that people need to buy what they want, what they can afford and what they like. Someone will surely enjoy the CO Maverick.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The people still waiting to get scheduled just love to read stuff like this.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What is a TURO maverick ? The loud clicking noise are the fuel injectors as the 2.0 is direct injection. Slow?? The 2 liter is fast BUT fast depends on what you're used too. I have seen the published 0 to 60 time and is much faster than my current vehicle. But if you used to even fast acceleration maybe it seems slow. But my much slower vehicle I never gun the throttle and it drives along with all other cars fine. Maybe a little slow for passing. I would have taken it and resold for $$$. To each their own I guess.

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In my previous post, I rented a Maverick on Turo and posted about 3 issues which felt like potential deal breakers for me. My ordered Maverick arrived this week and I took it for a test drive and specifically paid attention to these 3 items
  1. Loud clicking/rattling noise from engine/engine bay
    1. Brand new Maverick was considerably quieter. You could clearly still hear the engine, but it was the noise level was considerably lower than the Turo Maverick. It was closer in sound level to my GTI, which has and engine cover and hood insulation, than the Turo Maverick. Which makes me think back to my initial test drive of a used Maverick where I did not take any real notice of engine noise.
  2. Sluggish acceleration, would say the engine seems anemic
    1. The new Maverick didn't feel like it was struggling to accelerate. In normal driving it behaved fine. I can't say it felt quick either, but I also didn't push it any as it only had 10 miles on it.
  3. Bottom seat cushion was uncomfortable, appears to be due to seam placement/type of seam used
    1. While the seam was in exactly the same place, I wasn't noticing it feeling uncomfortable. I tried to bounce and shift around, see if I could make it dig in the same way it did on the Turo Maverick and it didn't. Not sure it was just because it was new, and if this would be something I would notice more as the seats broke in, but on initial use it wasn't uncomfortable.
So, as others speculated in the previous thread, something definitely appears to have been wrong with the Turo Maverick. It had less than 5000 miles on it, and supposedly I was only the 4th person to rent it, but something about it was not healthy

Ultimately I decided not to take delivery of my Maverick. So if any of you are interested in a 2023 XLT in Cyber Orange with 4K Tow, FX4, XLT Luxury Package, and Co-Pilot360, it can be found at Huntersville Ford. I think they have it marked up almost 6K though.

My decision wasn't due to any of the above as they appear to be non-issues, but some of the excitement of a new vehicle faded after the rental. I also didn't want to get rid of my GTI as I enjoy driving it, and the use case for a second vehicle just didn't feel like the money was justified to spend on the Maverick at this time. In the future may be better off with a vehicle with larger interior cargo capacity and at some point will probably need a small enclosed trailer.

20230322_170045.jpg
Dang it! That is a nice one!
I remember when you posted your Toro adventure. Too bad you didn't take it, but I understand. Someone is gonna get a nice truck (for an extra $6k).

Sponsored

OP
OP

DentedFrood

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Hatch
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What is a TURO maverick ? The loud clicking noise are the fuel injectors as the 2.0 is direct injection. Slow?? The 2 liter is fast BUT fast depends on what you're used too. I have seen the published 0 to 60 time and is much faster than my current vehicle. But if you used to even fast acceleration maybe it seems slow. But my much slower vehicle I never gun the throttle and it drives along with all other cars fine. Maybe a little slow for passing. I would have taken it and resold for $$$. To each their own I guess.
Turo is a service that allows people to rent their personal vehicles. Think of it as airbnb for cars. Later on in my posted I referred to it as the Turo Maverick for brevity.

My VW GTI is also a 2.0 direct injection turbo, and the Maverick I rented on Turo was ridiculously loud compared to it or the Maverick I ordered and just test drove. There was more going on than just the direct injection being noisy as it was considerably louder.

Like I said, I didn't really test acceleration in a spirited manner on the test drive but just in a daily driving way, but it seemed okay. The Maverick from Turo had abysmal acceleration, it really struggled.

I considered buying it to have for a little while knowing I could probably resell and recoup the cost or even make money, but I made the decision not to hassle with it and hope someone who will love it finds it (and hopefully doesn't get charged too much of a markup by the dealership)

DavidM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Turo is a service that allows people to rent their personal vehicles. Think of it as airbnb for cars. Later on in my posted I referred to it as the Turo Maverick for brevity.

My VW GTI is also a 2.0 direct injection turbo, and the Maverick I rented on Turo was ridiculously loud compared to it or the Maverick I ordered and just test drove. There was more going on than just the direct injection being noisy as it was considerably louder.

Like I said, I didn't really test acceleration in a spirited manner on the test drive but just in a daily driving way, but it seemed okay. The Maverick from Turo had abysmal acceleration, it really struggled.

I considered buying it to have for a little while knowing I could probably resell and recoup the cost or even make money, but I made the decision not to hassle with it and hope someone who will love it finds it (and hopefully doesn't get charged too much of a markup by the dealership)
Curios, how much was the Daily Rate for Maverick rental on Turo?

OP
OP

DentedFrood

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Hatch
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Curios, how much was the Daily Rate for Maverick rental on Turo?
This is an oldie

It was"$54 a day", but it counted just over 2 days as 3 days, plus fee, opted for protection, was $256 to have it for 53 hours.

DavidM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is an oldie

It was"$54 a day", but it counted just over 2 days as 3 days, plus fee, opted for protection, was $256 to have it for 53 hours.
That's not bad cause with 3 rentals you cover payment and insurance.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That's not bad cause with 3 rentals you cover payment and insurance.
let's just start with no. the vehicle owner gets a slice of that and the rest goes to Turo.

but you have it in reverse anyway.

this is the second thread where you are asking about owning a Maverick and renting it on Turo. one of them is actually a Maverick owner renting a Hyundai to keep miles off his truck and this one is a person who didn't have a Maverick and wanted to know what it was like but found issues.

if you're thinking about renting out your vehicle on Turo make sure to read your insurance policy carefully. insurance asks if you are ride sharing or renting it out and raises your rates, and if you have a claim in those situations and haven't declared it (and paid the additional premium) it won't be covered.
Sponsored