First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealer just called, they said the factory seemed to have misaligned the taillight making it more prone to popping out. They put it back in and said just to keep an eye on it. If it happens again they will throw the parts cannon at it.
Sponsored

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dealer just called, they said the factory seemed to have misaligned the taillight making it more prone to popping out. They put it back in and said just to keep an eye on it. If it happens again they will throw the parts cannon at it.
I started noticing this on my passenger one last week. Popped it back several times.
Last night I removed the bolts, pressed it back forward(George Carlin) and tightened the bolts up while pressing on it.

It's back out again today.

Ford Maverick Tail Light Popping Out PXL_20220803_001826470

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I started noticing this on my passenger one last week. Popped it back several times.
Last night I removed the bolts, pressed it back forward(George Carlin) and tightened the bolts up while pressing on it.

It's back out again today.

PXL_20220803_001826470.jpg
Take it to the dealer, the plastic clips that hold it in might be defective. Luckily mine are still holding up a few thousands mile later.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Take it to the dealer, the plastic clips that hold it in might be defective. Luckily mine are still holding up a few thousands mile later.
A much as I hate going to the dealer, I may. Always a 2-6 hour process, if you can even get an appointment in less than a month.
If it's just replacing these I may just try that.
2015-2022 Ford OEM Tail Lamp Assembly Retainer -W717430-S300 | OEM Ford Parts

This site says compatible with the Maverick.
Product Details | SimplePart (lakelandford.com)

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ive never pulled the taillights before.

Do they not bolt into place?

Are they literally just attached with plastic clips?

Sponsored

WNYEscapee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2019 Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Often a combination of both. I haven't looked at the catalogue to see the hardware used on the Maverick, but often you have screws that lock them into place, but they typically have inserts that something on the housing snaps into first.
I imagine if the fit into the retainer which clips into the body is too loose it won't hold the lamp in securely. This could easily account for them repeatedly popping back out.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

They bolt in. I only know from reading how to switch them out for LEDs.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw mentioned somewhere that their dealer's experience was overtightening the retaining bolts also can make the taillights more likely to pop out on their own over time.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I replaced both plastic retainer clips and bolted the tail light back in place yesterday

So far, so good. Hasn't popped out again.
Rexka 15pcs Tail Lamp Assembly Retainer Clip https://a.co/d/eNQins3

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

They have two (pretty sure two, not walking out to double look) bolts that hold it in from the tailgate and plastic clips they snap into on the back of the tail light. Sorry for not responding fellas, just moved :) Almost 9k miles in now, taillight is still solid. My appointment lasted less than an hour

Sponsored

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So i popped the tail light out.

The way to remove it:

1. Open the truck bed and on the left or right side remove the two grey bolts (7mm i 'think') that hold each light in.

2. Once both bolts are removed then you have to pop the front of the tail light out. The pulling action should be outward (the left tail light - pull the tail light to the left side of the truck). There are two plastic retainers that are still holding the assembly in. NOTE: be careful as when the tail light pops out it has two metal pieces that will dent or scratch the truck if you arent careful.

I can also agree that when these plastic retainers wear out - the light will no longer fit snugly.

also worth noting - as someone who has been pulling cars apart for 22 years - the maverick is really cheaply built.

I know cars are just 'snap together' these days but Ford found a way to make this even crappier than before. i better understand how a crew cab awd truck can weight 3570lbs.

SinnerSavedByGrace

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
I have been having this popping out issue on my passenger side since I have had my Maverick(got it in April). I have been to 2 different dealerships and the clips inside have been replaced 3 different times to no avail. One dealership ordered a new tail light for me. They installed the new tail light and it was popping out immediately, so they just put my old one back in. They said they have another customer with a Maverick that is having the same issue. They stated it is a design issue and they have made Ford aware. Hopefully there will be a recall or fix down the road.

rjag2034

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche, Lexus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Noticed this the other day. Both sides. Popped them both back in but the drivers side has popped again. Will take to the dealer

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Noticed this the other day. Both sides. Popped them both back in but the drivers side has popped again. Will take to the dealer
How do you like the Maverick? I see your other cars are "Porsche, Lexus" and having owned both of those and being active on this forum for the 10 months I've been waiting so far on my Maverick.. I am starting to have significant doubts about my Maverick future. All car forums concentrate issues, but as someone noted above - it seems like the Maverick might be unacceptably cheaply built. There's cheap & charming.. then there's just cheap.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored