First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
on order Maverick, 2008 Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 135k miles 06 dodge ram I'm about to sell with Michelin Defender LTX all season 265/70R17 with 20k miles and 50k mileage warranty that will be voided once sold. I have thought about switching the OEM Maverick tires, 255/65R17(300 miles on them). The difference in tire height is 2" or 1" raised truck height.

I don't drive much any more, less than 10k/year and would like to know the pros/cons have having the tires switched on vehicles.

Is it worth the cost(I'll assume $200+/- to remount/balance them).

Also, is there a way to input the new tires sizes so all instruments are accurate? Can this reprogram be done DIY, shop, dealer only?

thanks in advance, Brian
Sponsored

Stimpy433

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why, no more than you drive per year, I’d rather have the new tires than the ones with 20,000 miles on them already.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Also, is there a way to input the new tires sizes so all instruments are accurate? Can this reprogram be done DIY, shop, dealer only?
I have not seen any one program their own vehicle for a tire size change.

OP
OP

migraine

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the
Why, no more than you drive per year, I’d rather have the new tires than the ones with 20,000 miles on them already.
To me, there is a hardness/stiffness in the new maverick tires and I like the way the Michelin tires handle better than the Mavericks. Plus, it has been my experience that the OEM tires just don't last but have no experience with ford's tires. Also, 1" isn't much of a lift but it's 1" more clearance. Iw ish I had bought the upgraded tires on ordering but didn't want and add-ons to jinx my order.
Could'a-should'a-would'a...
Thanks, Brian

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you do the swap post photos of the bigger tires.

If you don't recalibrate you will be off by 5MPH at 65MPH

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Unless Forscan has figured out how to provide a diameter in mm, the max the truck will recognize is 235/65R17.

NewMavIL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Michelin Defender LTX 265/70R17 is 31.6" diameter.
Stock Continental procontact 225/65R17 is 28.5" diameter.
265/70R17 might not fit.

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 135k miles 06 dodge ram I'm about to sell with Michelin Defender LTX all season 265/70R17 with 20k miles and 50k mileage warranty that will be voided once sold. I have thought about switching the OEM Maverick tires, 255/65R17(300 miles on them). The difference in tire height is 2" or 1" raised truck height.

I don't drive much any more, less than 10k/year and would like to know the pros/cons have having the tires switched on vehicles.

Is it worth the cost(I'll assume $200+/- to remount/balance them).

thanks in advance, Brian
I don't believe they will fit unless you install a lift on your truck as well? (I'm assuming you have either 225/65/17 and don't like the feel, unless you have the optional falken a/t 235/65/17). At this time i don't think anyone else has figured out how to calibrate that much difference in the computer either?

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As noted by others 265/70 is a HUGE tire for the Maverick. If they even fit I imagine the power suck with those tires would be tremendous. Plus it will likely look pretty silly.

OP
OP

migraine

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As noted by others 265/70 is a HUGE tire for the Maverick. If they even fit I imagine the power suck with those tires would be tremendous. Plus it will likely look pretty silly.
Thanks for your "Honest Opinion" :~)
Seriously, I appreciate your input and others. I haven't given this tire size thing much thought. I can see the tire size being an issue. Kinda like 20"tires/wheels on a Chevy Chevette....
I think I'll leave things where they are. I only put 20k miles on the Ram in the last 5 years.
-Brian

Sponsored

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for your "Honest Opinion" :~)
Seriously, I appreciate your input and others. I haven't given this tire size thing much thought. I can see the tire size being an issue. Kinda like 20"tires/wheels on a Chevy Chevette....
I think I'll leave things where they are. I only put 20k miles on the Ram in the last 5 years.
-Brian
it's good to ask. And no offense meant obviously. Vehicle styling choices are not remotely universal between owners. But, beyond looks it just doesn't make a lot of sense for this truck. Same would go if it was a full size or even Tacoma. We've all seen the dudes with WAY too much tire on their trucks

Reactions: bgn