First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 2019 Mazda CX9, tons of bikes
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep a good eye out when driving around.... And I have spotted more and more Mavericks out on the roads around me, but I have to say, I see probably 3 or 4 Santa Cruz to each Maverick I see. Maybe its because where I live, people don't seem to be shy to spend money ( seeing how the Santa Cruz is more expensive ) or maybe it's just a lot easier to get one, IDK.... But I see way more of them on the roads around me in South Charlotte NC
Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I keep a good eye out when driving around.... And I have spotted more and more Mavericks out on the roads around me, but I have to say, I see probably 3 or 4 Santa Cruz to each Maverick I see. Maybe its because where I live, people don't seem to be shy to spend money ( seeing how the Santa Cruz is more expensive ) or maybe it's just a lot easier to get one, IDK.... But I see way more of them on the roads around me in South Charlotte NC
Could simply be proximity. Santa Cruz is manufactured in Alabama; Maverick in Mexico. Given the lack of legacy union and dealership contracts, Hyundai might not have the allocation goofiness Ford has to contend with?

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've noticed pretty much the opposite around me. At least 2:1 or 3:1 mavericks to santas cruz. Even in my neighborhood, there are three mavericks (including mine) and one santa cruz.

OP
OP
GyroRon

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 2019 Mazda CX9, tons of bikes
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IDK, in general there are alot of Kia and Hyundai vehicles on the road in my area, very popular brand in this area. I've never owned one.

Only one that even appeals slightly to me is the new Kia K5, in some colors and trims its a pretty = good looking car.

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there a Santa Cruz forum somewhere where people talk about how many Mavericks they are seeing since we know there are at least double on the road.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IDK, in general there are alot of Kia and Hyundai vehicles on the road in my area, very popular brand in this area. I've never owned one.

Only one that even appeals slightly to me is the new Kia K5, in some colors and trims its a pretty = good looking car.
I'd love an Ioniq 5.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Kia has a massive facility in Georgia. So, again, it might just be a case accessibility. Plus, they tend to be less expensive and their quality has gone up over recent years compared to the 2000s era models.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In the Chicago area it's the opposite. About 4 Mavericks to every Santa Cruz.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm the opposite. I see more Mavericks in my area. Though I was next to a SC on the highway the other day.

Vince30

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Ford Maverick and some motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In the Chicago area it's the opposite. About 4 Mavericks to every Santa Cruz.
I'm out near rockford and feel the opposite. I think I see about 2:1 santa cruz to mavricks. But it is weird, I'll go a month without seeing a single maverick, and then the other day I saw 3 just on my way to work. Could just be timing.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Last time in town I saw 3 Mavericks. I have only seen 2 total Santa Cruzs on island. Mavericks is probably around a dozen maybe 20 if Lahaina has any.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm out near rockford and feel the opposite. I think I see about 2:1 santa cruz to mavricks. But it is weird, I'll go a month without seeing a single maverick, and then the other day I saw 3 just on my way to work. Could just be timing.
People here are probably afraid of the whole USB key thing on the SC, even though that should be fixed now.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People here are probably afraid of the whole USB key thing on the SC, even though that should be fixed now.
People tend to hear small snippets in the news or elsewhere, don't research them, and then bad reputations take forever to shake.

All they heard was, Hyundai and Kia cars are incredibly easy to Hotwire, all it takes is a USB cable! The details of which models and years are affected tend to be glossed over.

Vince30

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Ford Maverick and some motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Even if it's fixed now, still a good reason to not buy from them in my opinion. They've shown they will risk security to save money, so to think another exploit could be next seems reasonable.

I think I'm seeing more of them simply because they have been available, and it'll shift the other way in time.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even if it's fixed now, still a good reason to not buy from them in my opinion. They've shown they will risk security to save money, so to think another exploit could be next seems reasonable.

I think I'm seeing more of them simply because they have been available, and it'll shift the other way in time.
SecuriLock, Ford's PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System, AKA immobilizer), has been around since the 1996 model year, and spread throughout the lineup over the late 90s. The whole lineup, even Focus and Fiesta. Quite simply, there's a microchip in the key that the car needs to be programmed to recognize, or it won't start. It does add cost, but vehicles are expensive and it's a good deterrent to all but the more determined thieves.

That Kia and Hyundai until recently did not have what I and many would've considered a basic security feature? That's pretty hard to forgive. Where else are they cutting corners?

Even worse is that Kia and Hyundai have had immobilizers on certain models for many years - but not their entire lineup. They had the technology but chose carefully where to use it. Many customers may have assumed that any new vehicle these days would be so equipped, and yet...
Sponsored