TQM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For anyone interested in plug&play third brake light with a strobe function, I grabbed another brand that had lots of good reviews on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/FANTELI-Flashing-Brighter-Non-Polarity-Brilliant/dp/B097PMD2VW

I actually bought it as a set with two white led bulbs for the two cargo lights on either side. The pack was two of the third brake lights (one extra) and two of the cargo lights for $15.97.

Everything worked easily and both the third brake light and the cargo lights are noticeably brighter than the stock. Here is what it look like functioning:

Ford Maverick Strobing LED Brake lights flasher
Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If they are inattentive, what are the odds they will see a flashing light lol.

I've seen them before and it's definitely annoying borderline distracting. I get trying to mitigate the risk and it's a good reason why I do a lot of things in life, but strobing 3rd brake lights aint one of them.

This just seems more hazardous than anything else.

TRUCKHEF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I've seen them before and it's definitely annoying borderline distracting. I get trying to mitigate the risk and it's a good reason why I do a lot of things in life, but strobing 3rd brake lights aint one of them.

Before I got them tailgaters galore, after I got them no more tailgaters
🤷‍♂️

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It actually grabs their attention better if they stobe. A lot of road cycling light technology has evolved to have radar based rear strobe light that flashes higher as the speed of the car is higher. Garmin made one

Sponsored

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For anyone interested in plug&play third brake light with a strobe function, I grabbed another brand that had lots of good reviews on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/FANTELI-Flashing-Brighter-Non-Polarity-Brilliant/dp/B097PMD2VW

I actually bought it as a set with two white led bulbs for the two cargo lights on either side. The pack was two of the third brake lights (one extra) and two of the cargo lights for $15.97.

Everything worked easily and both the third brake light and the cargo lights are noticeably brighter than the stock. Here is what it look like functioning:

flasher.png
How have they held up?

TQM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How have they held up?
I've only had them a day. 😁 They claim a 1 year warranty, but had a card in the package that said if I registered with them they have a 5 year warranty. Not sure what my thoughts are on registering 4 bulbs that cost $16....

TQM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have never seen them as annoying when I follow them. I think they help, obviously you don't. Claiming they are "more hazardous" seems a bit of a stretch.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Prohibited by federal statute. FMVSS 108 is the governing document for vehicle lighting in America and section 5.5.10 states that all lamps that aren’t headlamps, turn signals, hazard warning lamps, side marker lamps or school bus warning lamps “shall be wired to be steady-burning.”
Headlamps don't have to be steady burn?? A third break light is not a hazard warning light??

Sponsored

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are a lot of conflicting "armchair lawyers" on this thread.

While there is a lot of valuable information on forums, there is a lot of "opinions" passing off as facts.

Also there are also many conflicting articles on this subject on the web.
CapitalOne did an article where they stated that in California they are illegal while an other article as well as an other poster on this thread has shown the actual law that states different.

One article states: "in Texas, any kind of automatic flashing feature is illegal except for use on emergency vehicles"
Last week I followed a garbage truck with no less that 7 flashing strobes on it. Almost all beer and soda trucks have a flashing strobe on top.

It is true that different states have different laws and the third break light is sometimes treated in the law differently than the regular break lights.

OP check with a reliable source for your state.

I plan to make mine flash. I just haven't decided how or which ones yet.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have never seen them as annoying when I follow them. I think they help, obviously you don't. Claiming they are "more hazardous" seems a bit of a stretch.
One scenario would be where someone thinks you are constantly tapping your brakes in an alert fashion so they create extra space for no reason - which can cause confusion to traffic behind you, possibly even try to switch lanes or make an evasive maneuver around you. Plus, as others have mentioned, there are numerous good reason why strobes are illegal (hazardous). I've seen them a couple times and they distract initially until you realize they are just strobes. So it's really less of a claim and more of an observation. Pretty rare I side with "safety administrations" within the government(s), but this is one of those scenarios.

To all who want strobes: Is it really that hard to check your mirrors/rearview then tap when it's actually necessary? Rhetorical. The answer is no. The "fact" is they create more of a distraction for that reason alone than they are helpful when used constantly.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One scenario would be where someone thinks you are constantly tapping your brakes in an alert fashion so they create extra space for no reason - which can cause confusion to traffic behind you, possibly even try to switch lanes or make an evasive maneuver around you. Plus, as others have mentioned, there are numerous good reason why strobes are illegal (hazardous). I've seen them a couple times and they distract initially until you realize they are just strobes. So it's really less of a claim and more of an observation. Pretty rare I side with "safety administrations" within the government(s), but this is one of those scenarios.

To all who want strobes: Is it really that hard to check your mirrors/rearview then tap when it's actually necessary? Rhetorical. The answer is no. The "fact" is they create more of a distraction for that reason alone than they are helpful when used constantly.
"there are numerous good reason why strobes are illegal (hazardous)"

Interesting. I wonder why, if they are so hazardous, they are required by law in Europe.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"there are numerous good reason why strobes are illegal (hazardous)"

Interesting. I wonder why, if they are so hazardous, they are required by law in Europe.
All of Europe? Or certain countries/counties/states etc etc within the European Union?

Also, are there not requirements for them in said unions? As in, not a constant strobe but only an initial strobe upon first pressing the brake?

Also, what works in Europe, clearly does not always work in the US (not that it's a good reason for the legal vs. illegal argument here, but it's true in many cases/laws/rights/amendments etc etc).

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All of Europe? Or certain countries/counties/states etc etc within the European Union?

Also, are there not requirements for them in said unions? As in, not a constant strobe but only an initial strobe upon first pressing the brake?

Also, what works in Europe, clearly does not always work in the US (not that it's a good reason for the legal vs. illegal argument here, but it's true in many cases/laws/rights/amendments etc etc).
EU Regulation 2019/2144
Sponsored