Sponsored

Standard spare tire vs. full size spare upgrade? Diameter?

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XL
Hi all,

I'm curious what the standard spare tire option is (vs. the full size spare upgrade). I'll be getting an AWD model, so you'd think that the standard spare would be the same diameter as the rest of the tires. Is the "full size spare" just the same width as the rest of the tires as well?

Assuming that the standard option is full diameter, I'd just save $115 and stick with that.

Thanks!
Sponsored

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Pretty sure it'll be the same diameter, but it'll be one of those space saver narrow tires. Full size spare will match your other wheels, which gives you more life out of all your tires if you do a 5 wheel rotation or gives you a wheel you can continue your road trip on without having to stop and get your tire repaired or replaced because the compact spare isn't meant for continued/extended use.

OP
OP
First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XL
Makes sense, that's what I was thinking regarding the space saver.

That's a good point about a 5 wheel rotation too - I'd forgotten about that. Hope the full size spare is on the same silver steel wheel as the rest!

Thanks!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
XL standard spare is listed as the compact size. I upgraded to full size for $115. I think I remember reading in specs full size is standard in some other trim levels, but you should review the specs to confirm for yourself.

Sponsored

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Especially with an AWD model you'll want the full size spare. There are some cases of extended use of a space saver destroying AWD drivetrains (Subaru especially), due to them being a slightly smaller diameter and people driving on them like they were a normal tire.

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So with a flat on the front, is it recommended to move a rear tire up and mount the space saver donut on the rear (for the FWD hybrid)?

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True story: I was about to get a speeding ticket when some dude pulling a trailer with a truck that had a mini spare on it whipped past me and the cop. The cop said "next time" ran into his car and took off after the dude. I wasn't going THAT fast.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True story: I was about to get a speeding ticket when some dude pulling a trailer with a truck that had a mini spare on it whipped past me and the cop. The cop said "next time" ran into his car and took off after the dude. I wasn't going THAT fast.
1. Trailer was a disaster, stuff flying off.
2. Dude was going at least 40K over the speed limit pulling a trailer with a mini spare.
3. Passenger in truck held out his finger at the cop as they sped by.

Dudes, thank you.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, space saver spare should not be driven over 50 mph or your putting your vehicle and life in danger

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
Pretty sure it'll be the same diameter, but it'll be one of those space saver narrow tires. Full size spare will match your other wheels, which gives you more life out of all your tires if you do a 5 wheel rotation or gives you a wheel you can continue your road trip on without having to stop and get your tire repaired or replaced because the compact spare isn't meant for continued/extended use.
Full size spare will most likely be a steel wheel and tire from the XL standard issue. No way they are giving a nice black aluminum wheel and AT tire that matches my FX4 for only $115.

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
Full size spare will most likely be a steel wheel and tire from the XL standard issue. No way they are giving a nice black aluminum wheel and AT tire that matches my FX4 for only $115.
I doubt it as well, but we can hope.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Ah that sucks. The last few cars I've had with spares got matching spares

Probably pick up a junkyard spare that matches then after a little bit.

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Especially with an AWD model you'll want the full size spare. There are some cases of extended use of a space saver destroying AWD drivetrains (Subaru especially), due to them being a slightly smaller diameter and people driving on them like they were a normal tire.
On my X3, I was advised to not even put a different type of tire on when I had a flat, let alone different width or tread. Something about how their AWD system would sense the difference in traction and apply power to the wheels differently, resulting in either an unsafe drive or a messed up drivetrain!
Sponsored