Sponsored

Spilled liquid on shifter and electronic parking brake. Any issues?

BrianA

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Almost 10 k miles on my hybrid with no issues whatsoever, but today I spilled most of a cup of coffee on the shifter and electronic parking break lever. In traffic so it had to sit for a minute until I could stop and clean up. Does not seem to be an issue, but it does seem like a design flaw, particularly placing the recessed parking brake lever which will hold liquids right next to the cup holder.

As this is unfortunately not an unusual occurrence for me, just wondering if anyone has had any issues, or has been inside that panel to see if Ford has done anything to mitigate this being a problem, such as seals, drainage away from any electrical components, etc.

All in all not a big deal, but thought I would see if any of you experts had any thoughts.
Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
WD-40 makes a contact spray that works for electronics, but it has to be dry and I wouldn't recommend spraying it blindly into the console that way. Unless you plan on taking everything apart, I'd say clean the exterior up using a soft bristle brush and some light soapy water (not overkill, don't douse everything you only need the moisture to agitate the surface) then a microfiber towel to wipe away the excess.

I also have a portable rechargeable "duster" that I use on all my computers and other electronics, so you could invest in something like that too. I don't use compressed air because it's unreliable, expensive and often times can ruin things if it sprays frozen chemicals out.

But the only other way to make sure whatever leaked into the console isn't rotting on a circuit board is to disassemble everything and that console is a PITA to do. I think you even have to take some of the dash of to get that specific part out? Maybe someone that has done it can clarify.

Keep in mind these things are often sealed somewhat decently with silicon, but again, if too much fluid gets on the board it can ruin it. I'd say if it's still working just focus on cleaning the exterior up.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry about the accident.

A few years ago, I had a Subaru w/ heated seats. A friend spilled coffee with cream & sugar onto the console and it mucked up the heated seat controls. They still worked, but the rocker switches no longer "clicked" when changing them from OFF-LO-HI. So ya had to guess what position they were full in.

In my vehicles, I no longer allow any containers in the cup holders, except plain water.

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry about the accident.

A few years ago, I had a Subaru w/ heated seats. A friend spilled coffee with cream & sugar onto the console and it mucked up the heated seat controls. They still worked, but the rocker switches no longer "clicked" when changing them from OFF-LO-HI. So ya had to guess what position they were full in.

In my vehicles, I no longer allow any containers in the cup holders, except plain water.
Better still, only allow closed top containers like water bottles or restricted flow drinking cups.

Having an open top container or cup of anything in a vehicle is just asking for a major spill to happen.

As for OP spill, if there is a malfunction the offending switch module will have to be pulled and either cleaned or replaced. Each switch module has a connector, so relatively easy to remove.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Almost 10 k miles on my hybrid with no issues whatsoever, but today I spilled most of a cup of coffee on the shifter and electronic parking break lever. In traffic so it had to sit for a minute until I could stop and clean up. Does not seem to be an issue, but it does seem like a design flaw, particularly placing the recessed parking brake lever which will hold liquids right next to the cup holder.

As this is unfortunately not an unusual occurrence for me, just wondering if anyone has had any issues, or has been inside that panel to see if Ford has done anything to mitigate this being a problem, such as seals, drainage away from any electrical components, etc.

All in all not a big deal, but thought I would see if any of you experts had any thoughts.
Issues? Not enough cup holders or my chronic condition: Always in a hurry.

Sponsored

Pee Dee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
several
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't have my Maverick yet but I've wondered how vulnerable the shifter knob might be to spills.

On other vehicles I've used canned compressed air keyboard cleaners to clean up spills around electrical switches. That seemed to work well.

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If I could buy a console cover that was form fitting in the style of those old keyboard covers I'd probably go for it. It would need to be two pieces I imagine to accommodate shifter rotation but as long as liquids continue to flow downward I'd feel better protected.

Hammer

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 VW GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't have my Maverick yet but I've wondered how vulnerable the shifter knob might be to spills.

On other vehicles I've used canned compressed air keyboard cleaners to clean up spills around electrical switches. That seemed to work well.
Based on visual inspection the shift module looks to be pretty well sealed. The pin connections on the bottom are recessed and look like they should do a decent job of keeping out liquids.

Ford Maverick Spilled liquid on shifter and electronic parking brake. Any issues? IMG_1322

Ford Maverick Spilled liquid on shifter and electronic parking brake. Any issues? IMG_1321

Ford Maverick Spilled liquid on shifter and electronic parking brake. Any issues? IMG_1320

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
WD-40 makes a contact spray that works for electronics, but it has to be dry and I wouldn't recommend spraying it blindly into the console that way. Unless you plan on taking everything apart, I'd say clean the exterior up using a soft bristle brush and some light soapy water (not overkill, don't douse everything you only need the moisture to agitate the surface) then a microfiber towel to wipe away the excess.

I also have a portable rechargeable "duster" that I use on all my computers and other electronics, so you could invest in something like that too. I don't use compressed air because it's unreliable, expensive and often times can ruin things if it sprays frozen chemicals out.

But the only other way to make sure whatever leaked into the console isn't rotting on a circuit board is to disassemble everything and that console is a PITA to do. I think you even have to take some of the dash of to get that specific part out? Maybe someone that has done it can clarify.

Keep in mind these things are often sealed somewhat decently with silicon, but again, if too much fluid gets on the board it can ruin it. I'd say if it's still working just focus on cleaning the exterior up.
yeah I like your method but would back it up with my shop vac and crevice tool.
spray, vac, repeat

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Based on visual inspection the shift module looks to be pretty well sealed. The pin connections on the bottom are recessed and look like they should do a decent job of keeping out liquids.

IMG_1322.jpeg

IMG_1321.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg
Thank you for sharing! Can you direct me to any tutorial on how you got it out?

Sponsored
OP
OP

BrianA

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for all the great replies. No issues, so it looks like the design must be OK. WIll let you know when it happens again. Thanks again.

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Glad everything is still working. If I can suggest- sippy cup with non spill lid!

Hammer

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 VW GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for sharing! Can you direct me to any tutorial on how you got it out?
would love to but I didn’t pull that one. It was warranty replacement performed by dealer. Maybe Ivan@FastMavericks can share his experience