Banned
First Name
Anonymous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
  • Banned
I was planning on going with Granger at 3% under invoice but after doing all the calculations and having to fly up, driving 1000 miles back and getting a hotel room, I'd only be saving a few hundred over buying from my local dealer at MSRP.

I have talked to my 4 closest Ford dealerships, asking them all if they could do any better than MSRP and every one is them has said they could not. My question is, is it normal for dealership's to not want to compete with each other in this climate? I know there is still dealer holdback even if they sold at invoice price, is it just not worth the time/paperwork to sell a custom build under MSRP?

One sales person even responded to my email saying "we are only making $895 off of the sale to you if we sold it at MSRP and that's not a lot".... My thought was that $900 does seem like a lot of profit for never having to have the vehicle on their lot and only 1h-2h of paperwork.

If I was to take the MSRP deal, I'd only be paying an additional $300 over buying at Granger after airfare, hotel and gas is considered and it is worth $300 to me to not have to put 1000 hwy miles on my brand new truck but it's kind of unsettling to see other dealerships offering invoice or below and I can't find any local dealerships that are willing to go under MSRP. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I think it's normal. I'm happy paying MSRP, but I'm also the one that doesn't mind paying a LITTLE more than MSRP, if I think it's reasonable. In this case, paying $1,000 more than MSRP might not be the worst thing, all things considered, but that's just me.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm ok with MSRP as there doesn't seem to be a lot of margin built into this truck. Considering the state of the current market, i think it's a fair deal and I live within three miles of my dealership. Convenience has its own value

Last edited:

Retiredguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick,2021 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Ec
I had one dealer willing to sell at X Plan pricing. Another dealer told me X Plan would only save a few hundred dollars.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My local dealer wants MSRP + $500 in fees. I ordered mine from Chapman so when built and delivered I will to fly to PA and drive back to SC but for me it's worth the trip. I will make it a 2 day vacation getting to know my new truck and if not happy when I get home I can probably sell it for what I have in it.
To answer your question I think if a person can get a new Maverick for MSRP you are not getting hurt. Many dealers will ask more or bleed you on unless incidentals. Lots of variables for each of us and availability is a big one.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just want to make sure the math is checking out here. 3% below invoice really ends up being closer to 6% below MSRP - people do often miss that the discount is below invoice, not the price you see on the Ford build & price page.

If you're looking to be a lower trim under $25K, that is still $1,500 in savings. Assuming you can book a flight under $300, and even with 3 nights of hotels ($150/night) and the cost of gas for about as far as you can travel from Granger, IA being under $200 (1,750 miles to San Diego at 30mpg is under 60 gallons) that puts you at $950 and 3 days of travel. If you move up to a higher trim, the savings increase (I saved about $1,800 on my fully spec'd XLT - but buying from Minnesota meant just 1 night in a hotel and about 20 gallons of gas between 1 car down and 2 going back; technically could have avoided the hotel if we really wanted to).

Now, in this scenario the question becomes whether you have the time, and want to take that long to dedicate to purchasing a vehicle and saving $500 for the experience.

If the drive back is doable in a day or day and a half, now you can fly in early, pick up and start driving. Book 1 night hotel somewhere in between, and get home at the end of the next day - that would be $100 less gas (assuming 600-800 miles), and only 1 night of hotel ($300 less) - the savings are now approaching $1K, and would definitely be more than worth the time.

Also remember this will be fun! I drove my wife's Fiat back from Seattle to Minneapolis last year over 3 days, paid for the trip entirely with rewards points from credit cards and saved $3k in the process. First time I've ever done that (in 20+ vehicles purchased), and it is absolutely the way I will be buying going forward whenever possible in the future.

zach57x

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As long as there’s no additional fees tacked on then it is worth it. All the dealers around me wanted to add a $1000 dealer fee or wouldn’t go down to MSRP making it worth it to order from Granger.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I had one dealer willing to sell at X Plan pricing. Another dealer told me X Plan would only save a few hundred dollars.
X plan is the way to go, IMO, that's how I ordered mine.
X Plan isn't going to save you THAT much over MSRP but it will prevent addtl dealer markups and in most cases, save you several hundred bucks in document fees alone. When I did the math, it made zero sense to road trip for a vehicle to save as little as I would've. I am quite a ways from any of the dealers doing mass buy discounts though, so if it was only a couple hours drive, I probably would've went that way.

Retiredguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick,2021 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Ec
X plan is the way to go, IMO, that's how I ordered mine.
X Plan isn't going to save you THAT much over MSRP but it will prevent addtl dealer markups and in most cases, save you several hundred bucks in document fees alone. When I did the math, it made zero sense to road trip for a vehicle to save as little as I would've. I am quite a ways from any of the dealers doing mass buy discounts though, so if it was only a couple hours drive, I probably would've went that way.
Since I'm in Florida, dealers have a Dealer Fee add on. The dealer that would accept X Plan has a $998 fee that brings it down to $100 with X Plan.

OP
OP

Sandstorm

Banned
Banned
First Name
Anonymous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just want to make sure the math is checking out here. 3% below invoice really ends up being closer to 6% below MSRP - people do often miss that the discount is below invoice, not the price you see on the Ford build & price page.

If you're looking to be a lower trim under $25K, that is still $1,500 in savings. Assuming you can book a flight under $300, and even with 3 nights of hotels ($150/night) and the cost of gas for about as far as you can travel from Granger, IA being under $200 (1,750 miles to San Diego at 30mpg is under 60 gallons) that puts you at $950 and 3 days of travel. If you move up to a higher trim, the savings increase (I saved about $1,800 on my fully spec'd XLT - but buying from Minnesota meant just 1 night in a hotel and about 20 gallons of gas between 1 car down and 2 going back; technically could have avoided the hotel if we really wanted to).

Now, in this scenario the question becomes whether you have the time, and want to take that long to dedicate to purchasing a vehicle and saving $500 for the experience.

If the drive back is doable in a day or day and a half, now you can fly in early, pick up and start driving. Book 1 night hotel somewhere in between, and get home at the end of the next day - that would be $100 less gas (assuming 600-800 miles), and only 1 night of hotel ($300 less) - the savings are now approaching $1K, and would definitely be more than worth the time.

Also remember this will be fun! I drove my wife's Fiat back from Seattle to Minneapolis last year over 3 days, paid for the trip entirely with rewards points from credit cards and saved $3k in the process. First time I've ever done that (in 20+ vehicles purchased), and it is absolutely the way I will be buying going forward whenever possible in the future.

The price I was given on a XL 2.5L Hybrid with trailer hitch, 400w inverter and spray in bedliner at 3% under invoice was $21,218 + 180 doc fee + $45 In-Transit Tag. The price I was quoted for the same truck at MSRP locally was $22,235(no dealer fees) for a savings of $792. If a plane ticket is $300, $100 for a hotel, $100 for 1000 miles of gas, I am saving $292 to keep 1000 miles off my truck and to not have to drive for 16h. I guess I can see where the 3% would compound if you were getting a higher spec'd truck but in my case it just doesn't appear to be worth it.

Sponsored

MAVERICK8011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yahoo.com
Vehicle(s)
Maveruck
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
THIS IS A DEALER'S MARKET NOT A BUYER'S MARKET. IF YOU ORDER ONLINE SHOULD RECEVIE O N LINE DISCOUNT WAS 1,300$ OR 1,500.$ HERE IN MD.

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Maverick is priced so low that I am perfectly happy paying MSRP, especially in today's market where discounts on higher priced vehicles aren't available, either.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree that MSRP is fair. Also, I'm not one to make a big deal out of a few hundred bucks. This math works only if you either don't value your time, or you consider it an adventure and want to do the trip.

Last edited:

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
The trend is not your friend. Paying Maverick MSRP is current new normal - for ordered (not in-stock) vehicles. Overall average (all vehicle sales) is slightly above MSRP which is mind-boggling. Dealers are selling less inventory but making bank on what they do sell. A good time to be a dealer...
Ford Maverick Should I be content with MSRP? dealer profits.JPG

Ford Maverick Should I be content with MSRP? dealer profits1.JPG

Ford Maverick Should I be content with MSRP? atpmsrp.JPG

OP
OP

Sandstorm

Banned
Banned
First Name
Anonymous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I agree that MSRP is fair. Also, I'm not one to make a big deal out of a few hundred bucks. This math works only if you either don't value you're time, or you consider it an adventure and want to do the trip.
I am not wealthy by any stretch but I am also not going to stress over a few hundred dollars, it was more of a "How can some dealerships offer 3% under invoice and other dealerships aren't willing to budge off of MSRP or worse?". I think the answer is probably just sales volume. I think I'll call my local Ford dealership today and place my order at MSRP. What's the scoop on SOME dealerships offering full nationwide lifetime powertrain warranties? Is this is a scam?(I've never bought a new vehicle before).
Sponsored