First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Administrators offered some commercially available ideas and prices for customizing our precious Mavericks when we get them. But...,some were turned off with the idea of the stick-ons at the price point offered. There are alternatives if you just want something flat, and these and be infinitely customizable

There are the pattern cutters that range from small home machines to larger machines that you give the owners a pattern and it gets laser cut. That pattern can then be used as a paint template or a direct stick-on

Hobby machines (Cricut & Brother scan n' cut hobby machines) limit is size!

Then there is the actual paint. Most people know about "dip Your Car" products. Fewer know about Rust-Oleum. Rust-Oleum has a product called "Primer Peeler" Primer Peeler comes in aerosol cans and you can tape your area off spray paint it then use ANY spray Rust-Oleum product to create the effect you wish. like
1. filling in the embossed letters on the rear of your Maverick
2. create your own protective barrier on the bottom of your car panels(smooth or rough texture)
3. create reflective strips or patterns so you r truck is more visible at night.

The possibilities are endless............as long as you don't get tacky and embarrass the other Maverick Truck owners!!!

The neat thing is that you can peel it off when you get tired of it. I am going to try it out with some Duplicolor paint and other paints. If they make colors to match the Maverick colors protecting the bottom panels would be an aesthetic no-brainer! (Touchup zone sells a match for cactus gray (my Maverick color)for $46.00)

Ford Maverick SELF CUSTOMIZING - $$$ less than commercial adhesive stick-ons peelable primer
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any particular reason to go with this over plasti-dip? It does sound intriguing if it is truly easier to remove for sure, plus using a real paint would probably have a nicer finish.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
interesting idea. I've already decided to do hi-viz letters to "fill-in" Maverick on the tailgate.

OP
OP
hcforde

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any particular reason to go with this over plasti-dip? It does sound intriguing if it is truly easier to remove for sure, plus using a real paint would probably have a nicer finish.
Rust Oleum has a wide variety of colors and textures. it also seems to be more flexible in what you can do with it. This video shows something amazing(but I would never do it).

john218

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Mercedes C300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for sharing, if I ever get my Xl with "steelies" gonna give this product a try. Guessing this product is more durable than plasti-dip?

Sponsored

OP
OP
hcforde

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for sharing, if I ever get my Xl with "steelies" gonna give this product a try. Guessing this product is more durable than plasti-dip?
Well, I am looking at it as an alternative which widens the possibilities we can have. I am not sure of greater durability, but I would say it is at least in the same ballpark. I have not personally used it yet.

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It has an Evo X on the can. It must be better!

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
Hm... I really wouldn't want any removable paint that is more durable than plasti dip.... the winter wheels on my GF car have been plasti dipped black for 3 years now and still good as new, have taken the beating from MN winter salt/brine and manhandled by the costco tire people rotating them/removing.

So I can definitely testify to its durability if applied properly, the main problem is people don't prep their surfaces or don't apply enough coats.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Way more colors, patterns/fades/textures can be done w/ different spray cans, and probably even more UV resistant since the paint will protect the rubberized coating.

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rust Oleum has a wide variety of colors and textures. it also seems to be more flexible in what you can do with it. This video shows something amazing(but I would never do it).
This would certainly enable you to do a lot testing color and design before settling on a permanent solution should you want to. I could see testing out designs ideas like what is going on the First Addition Maverick. My one hesitation would be how this paint would hold up under the AZ sun! The sun in the Southwest can be brutal on car paint especially vehicles that have to sit outside all the time, like my poor Maverick will have it. Of course if I could use Photoshop I could do the same on my laptop before doing a paint job on my Mav. Oh the possibilities!

OP
OP
hcforde

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This would certainly enable you to do a lot testing color and design before settling on a permanent solution should you want to. I could see testing out designs ideas like what is going on the First Addition Maverick. My one hesitation would be how this paint would hold up under the AZ sun! The sun in the Southwest can be brutal on car paint especially vehicles that have to sit outside all the time, like my poor Maverick will have it. Of course if I could use Photoshop I could do the same on my laptop before doing a paint job on my Mav. Oh the possibilities!
Yeah, the sun, I live in Austin! I am only going to use it in select areas as mentioned. Those are areas where it will be beneficial; the bottom undercuts of the sides, lettering on the tailgate.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, the sun, I live in Austin! I am only going to use it in select areas as mentioned. Those are areas where it will be beneficial; the bottom undercuts of the sides, lettering on the tailgate.
I was thinking about those bottom undercuts too. Might be cool to do color contrast to them.

OP
OP
hcforde

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking about those bottom undercuts too. Might be cool to do color contrast to them.
The thicker coating will protect the Cactus Gray paint, and I am also considering a reflective paint there. I want the Mav to be as visible as possible, but still look classy!

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did anyone else notice that in the video toward the end it had in smaller print to remove within 6 months (if you want to remove it)? just a heads up
Sponsored