Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes the goal is to extend the range.
Odds are quite good that Ford "right-sized" this battery for this truck. Time will tell.

Range = gasolene burnt, it is the only energy source. The only way to increase the range of this truck is to increase the energy storage, by putting a bigger tank in it.

Making it a plug-in and making the battery 10 or 20 (or more) times the current capacity will help, especially in the city. That is only because it adds another energy source (household current). But this would actually reduce the highway mpg, due to added weight.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What’s the point? All energy comes from gasoline in the hybrid, the battery is sized to get you through normal city and normal highway driving and is enough to recapture kinetic energy and kick the vehicle off the line from stopped, over and over, until it’s recharged by gasoline power. At highway speeds it doesn’t matter if you have 5x the battery capacity in THIS vehicle, it’s gonna use the ICE for drive power at those higher speeds.

If you have more battery capacity, I truly don’t know what problem you’re solving, even for just city driving. I maybe don’t understand the limitations of the current battery size.
over 80 percent of my driving is stop and go city - light to light - rarely exceed 35 mph.

Xatorius

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's also the issue that they have the existing battery watercooled and adding the second would not have the cooling unless you developed a system to extend the cooling lines to it as well.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Adding to the above, I drive a Volt, which is a plug-in hybrid. The battery capacity is about 15-16 times the capacity of the battery in the Mav. The battery is huge.

I plug it in every night, and get about 38 miles (closer to 30 in winter) on battery. Then it is all ICE from that point.

It works well for me. But I expect the Maverick will match it in mpg after that 38 mile charge is depleted. And the Maverick is a truck, and it doesn't have to be plugged in.

Each technology has its place, but cobbled-together tech is highly unlikely to win against the experts.

Sponsored

frrocketdan

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you say that “the matching battery is available open market”, do you have a link to it?

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks everyone for your insight. i have had a few hybrids (Prius) before and also have 2021 Escape Titanium Hybrid (that i love). Save the MAV for going to Lowes and the traditional weekly trip to the transfer station (that’s where country folk get rid of their trash). Lariat, Area 51, lux will look better than my 2004 Dakota with 250K miles on it.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

... the traditional weekly trip to the transfer station (that’s where country folk get rid of their trash).
You might be surprised to know that us city folk have em too. The City of Dallas has at least 3 transfer stations that are open to the public. I use them when I need to.
Ford Maverick Second Battery 1634914286376

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You might be surprised to know that us city folk have em too. The City of Dallas has at least 3 transfer stations that are open to the public. I use them when I need to.
1634914286376.png
Growing up in NYC i thought transfer station was where you got off the express train and on to a local. Like the “E” to the “EE”. My pretty hillbilly wife corrected my thinking,

Sponsored

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Growing up in NYC i thought transfer station was where you got off the express train and on to a local. Like the “E” to the “EE”. My pretty hillbilly wife corrected my thinking,
We got both!
The Dallas Area Rapid Transit (Dart) Transfer Station is also shown on that map too.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided

bcording

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariat Hybrid
Does anyone have a picture of the hybrid 12v battery where the battery is exposed? The type 99R battery used seems to be on the smaller side and was wondering if there was space to "upgrade".

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Compared with gasoline, lithium-ion batteries are a more dangerous source of fire. It is difficult for people to escape from a deflagration. It is also more sensitive to the external environment (temperature and impact). I don’t think it’s a good idea to fiddle with it in my garage.

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone have a picture of the hybrid 12v battery where the battery is exposed? The type 99R battery used seems to be on the smaller side and was wondering if there was space to "upgrade".
I thought the hybrid battery was under the second row seat on the passenger side.
Sponsored