Sponsored

Santa Cruz begins production, still no pricing

cannoli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 Pontiac Grand Prix
The first Hyundai Santa Cruz has reportedly rolled off the line today. I had placed a $100 “deposit” for the SC when it was announced, but now with pricing and MPG of the hybrid Maverick, I am almost certainly going with Ford. Seemed like Hyundai had something by beating Ford to the reveal, but now it is 2 months later and they still haven’t released info on pricing.

If the base price for the SC is around $26k, as I’ve seen speculated elsewhere, that puts it around even with a Hybrid XLT with lux, or turbo XLT with AWD. Easy decision for me, but I can see how others could feel differently, especially those who want more towing capacity. Personally, my boat only weighs a few hundred pounds, so the base Maverick is more than enough.

Any idea what Hyundai could possibly hope to gain holding back pricing info for 2+ months after reveal and production has already begun?

https://www.al.com/business/2021/06...dventure-vehicle-hits-market-this-summer.html
Sponsored

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 540i
IMO, they're still trying to figure out how to compete with the Maverick price wise. Historically, Hyundai/Kia tried to offer more for less. They probably were not planning on a $21.5k starting price and they were caught with their pants down.

I bet they're deciding whether the "cool factor" of the styling will be enough to carry a cost premium or if they drop prices across the board to compete. Also, I don't know for sure, but it seems like the SC will have a nicer base interior and probably things like "true keyless entry" as standard. It will certainly have cruise control on the base model...

Last edited:

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
IMO, they're still trying to figure out how to compete with the Maverick price wise. Historically, Hyundai/Kia tried to offer more for less. They probably were not planning on a $21.5k starting price and they were caught with their pants down.

I bet they're deciding whether the "cool factor" of the styling will be enough to carry a cost premium or if they drop prices across the board to compete. Also, I don't know for sure, but it seems like the SC will have a nicer base interior and probably things like "true keyless entry" as standard. It will certainly have cruise control on the base model...
I’m still waiting on what trim/ options are grouped together. Hyundai doesn’t like stand alone packages or options. Just trims. So it will be interesting.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
The Santa Cruz looks really nice and well optioned. I went with the Maverick because the Hybrid gets me toll free express lanes on my daily commute and I think offers a lot of neat functionality that Ford was able to make with their experience building trucks that Hyundai just doesn't have.

Kind of the same reason I am excited for the Lightning over the Cybertruck. Looks like Tesla just made a plain bed whereas Ford incorporates a lot of functionality and features into the current F150 bed and tailgate.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
The Santa Cruz looks really nice and well optioned. I went with the Maverick because the Hybrid gets me toll free express lanes on my daily commute and I think offers a lot of neat functionality that Ford was able to make with their experience building trucks that Hyundai just doesn't have.

Kind of the same reason I am excited for the Lightning over the Cybertruck. Looks like Tesla just made a plain bed whereas Ford incorporates a lot of functionality and features into the current F150 bed and tailgate.
That’s what I like the most about fords. They pay attention to the customer demands.
they have a whole team of people that go to car shows, swap meets, (check forums 👀) and such, and ask what people want and leak out what they might do. All to improve their vehicles. That’s why In all of the reveals lately they bring real customers on stage to ask why they are buying it.
function over fashion any day!
Sponsored