First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I'm not really sure where to direct my frustrations. Maybe, people here can help me see a proper path to peace.

My 2022 Mav Hybrid XL had to be taken into the dealership (Brighton Ford in Brighton, Co.) where I originally purchased the vehicle as the powertrain failed at around 18k miles.

The vehicle was inspected and it was determined that the powertrain had faulty connectors and needed replaced. A common problem for the first year models.

Good news right?

So, while they were doing a final test drive the vehicle was rear ended, and hard. So hard the vehicle was pushed into a F-150 with a trailer hitch.

The dealership calls me and basically says "So, good news and bad news. We fixed the issue and your free to come pick up your truck and return the loaner, but your truck was involved in an accident and you need to have it taken to a body shop as we don't recommend driving it. But, it is drivable, and you can come pick it up and return the loaner."

So, I take my loaner back and they drive my truck around for me. Very serious damage front and back. I finally get a chance to take it in to a body shop for an estimate, and I've been told that the damage is so extensive they are amazed it's not wobbling as I drove it down the highway as the vehicle frame is twisted and bent. My radiator is demolished and I'm surprised I've not had issues with that, and you can feel the bend when standing inside the bed. Basically, my vehicle is totalled..

What really pisses me off is that if they total it our and refuse to repair the truck not only am I out of my beautiful blue truck, but I'm out a year of my life that I waited for my custom ordered truck, the $3k cash I put down, but also no vehicle on the market today comes with a 1.9% APR...if I have to buy a new vehicle I'm going to lose my shit and sit outside Brighton Ford and picket daily letting potential customers know that they will destroy your vehicle and leave you with the bill.

Anyway, I just needed to rant.

So, am I wrong for thinking that Ford should be making me whole? The dealership basically told me "It was not our fault so it's not our responsibility to return the vehicle in the condition it was received."

PXL_20240119_225522769.jpg

PXL_20240119_225515795.jpg

PXL_20240119_225448441.jpg

PXL_20240119_225444595.jpg

PXL_20240119_225428147.jpg

PXL_20240119_225416440.jpg

PXL_20240119_225412195.jpg

PXL_20240119_225406943.jpg

PXL_20240119_225404646.jpg

PXL_20240119_225356497.jpg
Check with your insurance company. They had your car and should return it undamaged and repaired, or replace it. Your insurance company will likely allow you the money to find a replacement and then go back against your dealer who had the car when damaged/totaled.
Sponsored

40caliber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
forty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Bunch of attorney crazy idiot's here here.
The insurance company will work it out.
If you don't agree with the settlement, then
take the guilty party to small claims court.
There"s no money in this for an attorney.
And NO it's not Ford Motors fault :ROFLMAO:
Terrible situation but no reason to fly off the handle first day.

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm trying to understand the posters who say the OP should obtain a lawyer and go after the dealership.

So the OP gets a lawyer and they succeed in getting the dealership to pay for repairing or replacing the damaged Maverick plus loaner vehicle. Since the accident wasn't the dealerships fault they would then go after the driver who caused the accident and that drivers insurance replaces the money the dealership payed out.

Seems like an overly complicated way to resolve the issue to me.

BruceK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cruze, 1964 Mercury, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, I'm not really sure where to direct my frustrations. Maybe, people here can help me see a proper path to peace.

My 2022 Mav Hybrid XL had to be taken into the dealership (Brighton Ford in Brighton, Co.) where I originally purchased the vehicle as the powertrain failed at around 18k miles.

The vehicle was inspected and it was determined that the powertrain had faulty connectors and needed replaced. A common problem for the first year models.

Good news right?

So, while they were doing a final test drive the vehicle was rear ended, and hard. So hard the vehicle was pushed into a F-150 with a trailer hitch.

The dealership calls me and basically says "So, good news and bad news. We fixed the issue and your free to come pick up your truck and return the loaner, but your truck was involved in an accident and you need to have it taken to a body shop as we don't recommend driving it. But, it is drivable, and you can come pick it up and return the loaner."

So, I take my loaner back and they drive my truck around for me. Very serious damage front and back. I finally get a chance to take it in to a body shop for an estimate, and I've been told that the damage is so extensive they are amazed it's not wobbling as I drove it down the highway as the vehicle frame is twisted and bent. My radiator is demolished and I'm surprised I've not had issues with that, and you can feel the bend when standing inside the bed. Basically, my vehicle is totalled..

What really pisses me off is that if they total it our and refuse to repair the truck not only am I out of my beautiful blue truck, but I'm out a year of my life that I waited for my custom ordered truck, the $3k cash I put down, but also no vehicle on the market today comes with a 1.9% APR...if I have to buy a new vehicle I'm going to lose my shit and sit outside Brighton Ford and picket daily letting potential customers know that they will destroy your vehicle and leave you with the bill.

So, am I wrong for thinking that Ford should be making me whole? The dealership basically told me "It was not our fault so it's not our responsibility to return the vehicle in the condition it was received."

Get a good lawyer. Sue the dealership and let them sue the guy who hit you. Most certainly NOT YOUR fault. It's a real mess though....

05FordGT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Fusion Energi(lease), 2006 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The insurance only covers vehicles that the dealership owns. It may be different in other states, but in MN, insurance must be provided by the owner, no matter who drives it. Not the dealership’s car, so not their insurance, either. The way the dealer handled it, though is another issue.
Mmmm, nope! They're insurance has multiple policies for these types of issues. Did I not mention I sold cars at a Ford dealer for almost a quarter century? 🤷 So I kinda know how this works a bit. If you don't think they wouldn't cover it, if it was there fault, you're out of your mind. You think the OPs insurance company will enjoy knowing he wasn't driving the vehicle but the dealership was? Their technician isn't covered by the customer's insurance policy, as he's NOT a driver on said policy.

When my father in law was alive, I was added to their insurance policy (as a DRIVER only) because it was just him and my wife (his step-daughter) on it fully (his wife didn't drive at all). Because he didn't drive anymore, we drove him in his car. So I was covered by his insurance, if I had an accident in his car. That's how it works.

Sponsored

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you allow someone else to borrow your car, it's still covered by your insurance policy. Insurers call this "permissive use." This is true even when the driver carries their own insurance. However, both your insurance policy and the driver's insurance may apply in the event of an accident. Whose insurance pays out, and in what amount, will vary based on the language of both policies and the details of the accident.

If the driver frequently uses your car or lives in your household, your insurer may determine that they should've been added to your policy as a driver. In that case, it may be sufficient cause for your insurance company to deny your claim.

https://www.progressive.com/answers/insurance-for-borrowed-cars/

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mmmm, nope! They're insurance has multiple policies for these types of issues. Did I not mention I sold cars at a Ford dealer for almost a quarter century? 🤷 So I kinda know how this works a bit. If you don't think they wouldn't cover it, if it was there fault, you're out of your mind. You think the OPs insurance company will enjoy knowing he wasn't driving the vehicle but the dealership was? Their technician isn't covered by the customer's insurance policy, as he's NOT a driver on said policy.

When my father in law was alive, I was added to their insurance policy (as a DRIVER only) because it was just him and my wife (his step-daughter) on it fully (his wife didn't drive at all). Because he didn't drive anymore, we drove him in his car. So I was covered by his insurance, if I had an accident in his car. That's how it works.
And I stand with what I’ve said. I’ve got 40 years in at two different dealers and have dealt with these issues. I’m just saying that you need to go through your own insurance. They have the lawyers and knowledge to get the situation resolved. It’s what you pay them for. If you would rather bypass that option and depend upon the dealer or your own hired lawyer, it will just end up costing you more. The dealer’s insurance will do all they can to avoid paying anything out because it is not in their best interest, and only after they have exhausted all of their options and then are forced to pay, it could take months or years before they do.

05FordGT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Fusion Energi(lease), 2006 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And I stand with what I’ve said. I’ve got 40 years in at two different dealers and have dealt with these issues. I’m just saying that you need to go through your own insurance. They have the lawyers and knowledge to get the situation resolved. It’s what you pay them for. If you would rather bypass that option and depend upon the dealer or your own hired lawyer, it will just end up costing you more. The dealer’s insurance will do all they can to avoid paying anything out because it is not in their best interest, and only after they have exhausted all of their options and then are forced to pay, it could take months or years before they do.
Guess I don't know jack **** them? Wasted 23 years at a dealership all for nothing! 🤦🏻‍♂️ All hail jonny24

Remember, insurance is different in EACH STATE. But again, what the bleep do I know. 🤷

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm trying to understand the posters who say the OP should obtain a lawyer and go after the dealership.

So the OP gets a lawyer and they succeed in getting the dealership to pay for repairing or replacing the damaged Maverick plus loaner vehicle. Since the accident wasn't the dealerships fault they would then go after the driver who caused the accident and that drivers insurance replaces the money the dealership payed out.

Seems like an overly complicated way to resolve the issue to me.
Yep. But we (America) have 70% of the world's lawyers. They need that job security. (and everyone pays for it)

J C

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2022 Bronco Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just my 2c
Have you (1) told the dealer you plan to let the media know of this practice?
And (2) did you contact the media.
Personally I find just the mention of the media is enough to change the view of those who are ace holes

Sponsored

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach E 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Good news right?

You came to the right place for advice, now you know what to do,
  • Get a lawyer
  • Don't get a lawyer
  • Let your Insurance Company handle it
  • Don't let your Insurance Company handle it
  • Let let the dealer's Insurance Company handle it
  • Don't let the dealer's Insurance Company handle it
  • Sue the dealer
  • Don't sue the dealer
  • Be mad at Ford
  • Don't be mad at Ford
  • Sue FMCO
  • Don't sue FMCO
  • Go back in time and don't turn in the loaner​
  • Never seek legal advice on a public forum​
I'm glad the gang here could help you resolve the issue.

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bunch of attorney crazy idiot's here here.
The insurance company will work it out.
If you don't agree with the settlement, then
take the guilty party to small claims court.
There"s no money in this for an attorney.
And NO it's not Ford Motors fault :ROFLMAO:
Terrible situation but no reason to fly off the handle first day.
Doesn’t have to be money for the attorney. Some things people need to do out of principle. I have never had to sue for monetary things. But I have out of principle.
But I agree I would go back to the dealer and have a face to face talk first

Luthinator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Mav. Lariat Hybrid & 23' Ford Explorer XLT+
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would 100% reach out to a lawyer before having anything else done to the truck. in my eyes (I'm not a lawyer) they would be responsible for the repair or replacement. Some states, I believe its your insurance that would have to take it on. just like if you lent it out to someone and they were in an accident. if you need to get a new one. They should try to do right by you and help you and possibly eat some of the cost! I would be making a GIANT stink about it.

40caliber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
forty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Get a good lawyer. Sue the dealership and let them sue the guy who hit you. Most certainly NOT YOUR fault. It's a real mess though....
😂
Yeah, pay lawyer 😜 Out of pocket.
Sponsored

Last edited: