First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach E 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is getting ridiculous. You can’t make any of those conclusions without some unknown factors like the momentum of the vehicle that caused the initial collision.
Did you actually read what I wrote? I said, "There are too many variables: speed, vehicle weight, in park/neutral, foot on/off the brake, etc. to give a definitive answer. "
Sponsored

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let me tell you, that means absolutely NOTHING! And I'm saying that as someone who sold cars at a franchised Ford dealer for 23 years. We had that on our night drop envelopes, and regular service envelopes. If something happened to someone's car while it was on our lot or one of the techs were driving, our insurance is covering it. That's why dealers have multiple insurance polices for multiple reasons. And this is one of them. That form means nothing to a lawyer. They will side step that INSTANTLY.
The insurance only covers vehicles that the dealership owns. It may be different in other states, but in MN, insurance must be provided by the owner, no matter who drives it. Not the dealership’s car, so not their insurance, either. The way the dealer handled it, though is another issue.

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The insurance only covers vehicles that the dealership owns. It may be different in other states, but in MN, insurance must be provided by the owner, no matter who drives it. Not the dealership’s car, so not their insurance, either. The way the dealer handled it, though is another issue.
You are correct. If dealer employee was negligent then maybe an issue. Insurance follows the car in most States, most insurance Co. Loan your car to a friend and he has a wreck caused by him most likely your insurance and your accident claim on your recordl

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Regardless of how it works out be prepared for some loss..whether it be price increases, some sales tax losses, premiums increased, depreciation loss, etc. It is very unlikely you will actually come out ahead but hopefully the end result will not be too much of a $$$ impact. I have never ended up with more $$$ after any accident or vehicle damage in the past. One way or another it affects your pocketbook, state of mind or personal free time.

Mark S.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Probably not what you want to hear, but if what you described is accurate neither your dealership nor Ford is responsible for making you whole--that's why you pay for insurance. Your insurance company will go after Ford/the dealership if the law allows it to. There is either a statement on the work order you signed giving the shop permission to take the vehicle for a test drive, or there is a State law covering the issue. Depending on the work performed, a post-work test drive is a safety requirement. Car accidents happens; you can't blame Ford/the dealership for doing their job. Do I think your dealership could have been more tactful? From how you describe the situation, it sure sounds like it. But being an @$$hole doesn't make a person responsible for an accident they didn't cause.

Sponsored

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Turn it over to your insurance company. Their lawyers will go after the dealer.
If you let your insurance company handle it, your rates will undoubtedly go up. Go after the dealership. Let them know you brought in an undamaged truck and you want an undamaged exact duplicate, or there will be microphones and cameras and a lawyer present asking why you, a dealership, do this to a customer. Had to do something similar back in the early 1980's.

Kritas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you let your insurance company handle it, your rates will undoubtedly go up. Go after the dealership. Let them know you brought in an undamaged truck and you want an undamaged exact duplicate, or there will be microphones and cameras and a lawyer present asking why you, a dealership, do this to a customer. Had to do something similar back in the early 1980's.
The man who represents himself has a fool for a client. Abraham Lincoln

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach E 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The man who represents himself has a fool for a client. Abraham Lincoln
Actually Lincoln didn't say it.
"In 1795 “The British Critic” printed a book review that contained an unambiguous version of the adage using the word “lawyer”. The reviewer credited “Che s’insegna” which means “Who teaches” in Italian:[4]
""It is an old law adage, copied from the Italian proverb of Che s’insegna, &c. that the man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client. If he undertakes, of choice, to become so in making his will, he seems to us to verify the proverb in the most obvious and striking instance. For the ill consequences of his ignorance fall upon those whom he loves best, and wishes to benefit most.""

No criticism, just bored waiting for paint to dry. BTW, if you are interested, you can always check the source of quotes here: https://quoteinvestigator.com/ Now you are probably as bored as I am.

NeedForSteve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Fusion 2.3; 2023 HPR XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Both dealerships I worked at (in NC) had insurance specifically for damage done to vehicles while being driven by employees (at the fault of the employee), and employees of the dealership driving customer vehicles were covered by Dealer insurance. The deductible was ridiculous.

HOWEVER, if the truck really was rear ended and the accident was not the fault of the employee driving, there ABSOLUTELY should be a police report. Whoever was driving that thing should have been on the phone with their service manager and local PD for a traffic report ASAP. No handshake deals, no exchange of info and move on, nothing of the sort, period.

Without a documented report, including the info of the person who hit the truck, for all you know the damage happened in the dealer's parking lot.

Kritas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I stand corrected! In the future, I will consult @Old_Norm before I rely on Google.

Last edited:
Sponsored

zorroo57

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota sienna/ Maverick lux lariat 2024
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I'm not really sure where to direct my frustrations. Maybe, people here can help me see a proper path to peace.

My 2022 Mav Hybrid XL had to be taken into the dealership (Brighton Ford in Brighton, Co.) where I originally purchased the vehicle as the powertrain failed at around 18k miles.

The vehicle was inspected and it was determined that the powertrain had faulty connectors and needed replaced. A common problem for the first year models.

Good news right?

So, while they were doing a final test drive the vehicle was rear ended, and hard. So hard the vehicle was pushed into a F-150 with a trailer hitch.

The dealership calls me and basically says "So, good news and bad news. We fixed the issue and your free to come pick up your truck and return the loaner, but your truck was involved in an accident and you need to have it taken to a body shop as we don't recommend driving it. But, it is drivable, and you can come pick it up and return the loaner."

So, I take my loaner back and they drive my truck around for me. Very serious damage front and back. I finally get a chance to take it in to a body shop for an estimate, and I've been told that the damage is so extensive they are amazed it's not wobbling as I drove it down the highway as the vehicle frame is twisted and bent. My radiator is demolished and I'm surprised I've not had issues with that, and you can feel the bend when standing inside the bed. Basically, my vehicle is totalled..

What really pisses me off is that if they total it our and refuse to repair the truck not only am I out of my beautiful blue truck, but I'm out a year of my life that I waited for my custom ordered truck, the $3k cash I put down, but also no vehicle on the market today comes with a 1.9% APR...if I have to buy a new vehicle I'm going to lose my shit and sit outside Brighton Ford and picket daily letting potential customers know that they will destroy your vehicle and leave you with the bill.

Anyway, I just needed to rant.

So, am I wrong for thinking that Ford should be making me whole? The dealership basically told me "It was not our fault so it's not our responsibility to return the vehicle in the condition it was received."

PXL_20240119_225522769.jpg

PXL_20240119_225515795.jpg

PXL_20240119_225448441.jpg

PXL_20240119_225444595.jpg

PXL_20240119_225428147.jpg

PXL_20240119_225416440.jpg

PXL_20240119_225412195.jpg

PXL_20240119_225406943.jpg

PXL_20240119_225404646.jpg

PXL_20240119_225356497.jpg
Vehicles in their care are their responsibility. Unless language in the service agreement some how excludes this! Your insurance should be suing them on your behalf. Other than color a similar truck might be available. I feel for you! I waited 3.5 years for my truck. Production time seem to be getting shorter.

Dcooke35

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a similar situation, however, my dealership stepped up and said they would take care of it. I had a problem that I purchased a USED car that had never been in an accident. I had no interest in it anymore. I got a lawyer, he said to let them fix it, and go from there. Well I did that, the day they called me to come see it, the brought it out to me, and there was a huge dent in the drivers side door. I refused to take it. After a year, and driving a loaner car from the dealership, that I did have to make a seen at the dealership to get give me, my layer called me and said they had reached a settlement. I basically walked away with all my money back. Used there car for a year, so basically unscathed.

First I would have never taken the car back from them, then get a LAWYER!
Sponsored