Sponsored

Rust on roof bordering windshield

Cancunbadlands

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Cancun
Joined
Jul 5, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
5,088
Reaction score
5,592
Location
Cancun
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
OP
OP

SPIJG

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 28, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
64
Reaction score
78
Location
South Padre Island, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there any update on this issue? What did the dealership say?
Wow, thank you so much for asking for update. Dealership said it was my problem and no warranty help from them. Approximately $2K to repair because of roof damage. I'm going to go to a body shop today to see what they say. Again, thank you for caring about this, another great Club benefit are the members!
 

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Brian
Joined
Jan 24, 2021
Threads
19
Messages
871
Reaction score
1,552
Location
New York
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, thank you so much for asking for update. Dealership said it was my problem and no warranty help from them. Approximately $2K to repair because of roof damage. I'm going to go to a body shop today to see what they say. Again, thank you for caring about this, another great Club benefit are the members!
That seems crazy. You might want to at least contact Ford corporate and open a claim. I'm not saying anything will change but it's worth at least making them aware to see if they'll do anything.
 
OP
OP

SPIJG

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 28, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
64
Reaction score
78
Location
South Padre Island, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That seems crazy. You might want to at least contact Ford corporate and open a claim. I'm not saying anything will change but it's worth at least making them aware to see if they'll do anything.
Thank you, I appreciate your input and will do so and keep all posted on status
 

Sponsored

OP
OP

SPIJG

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 28, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
64
Reaction score
78
Location
South Padre Island, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just an observation that "might" allay some of the concerns that this is some sort Ford issue. It could well be. No value judgments here, just facts:

~ South Padre Island is bordered on one side by the Gulf of Mexico. The beaches on that side are considered state highways so people cruise along at the edge of the surf in vehicles all day there. I've seen folks actually in the water chasing the waves along the beach.

~ The other side of the Island borders the Laguna Madre and, I quote, "The Laguna Madre is a rarity: one of perhaps six hypersaline (i.e. saltier than the ocean) lagoons in the world." It is incredibly saline. Some sources call it the "saltiest"! On windy days vehicles anywhere near the Laguna are covered with white brine and salt spray.

~ The narrow width of the island is such that no place on the island is more than mile from high tide in the Laguna to high tide in the gulf. In some places that width from "sea to sea" is less than 750' - about 2-1/2 football fields (or approximate 1 soccer pitch!).

~ Texas is renowned for trucks throwing stones off their beds. Most with big signs on the tailgate saying "Not Responsible for Damage Caused by This Vehicle"!

~ There are also lots of unpaved gravel and caliche roads that throw off plenty of aggregate.

So, I have no idea what the OP's driving, parking or vehicle usages are and make no assumptions and have no judgements. But - having any traditional metal vehicle full time on South Padre Island is a tough job for that vehicle to stay rust free! Ford or not.

I take my Mav there pretty much weekly but try to give a good shower - over & under - upon returning home. Our old motorhome, that we used to spend a fair amount of time with on the Island, had tons of surface rust after every trip, felt almost instantaneous. Anything ferrous and exposed suffered.

Just a perspective based on facts,
Steve
Steve, sorry, I just found your response to me effing up my paint job. I was looking through all of them to see if I had missed something that might work to solve the issue, instead, I got beat up again for allowing this to happen. That said, I literally office out of the water park across from Dirty Al's on the Island and we live on the water in Laguna Vista, so all of you comments are right on and as I said earlier, I effed up and can't afford the fixes suggested,

Thanks for writing though...

jg
 

BK007

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
BK007
Joined
Mar 27, 2026
Threads
55
Messages
1,229
Reaction score
3,604
Location
OH
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So no help from Ford on this? Did you get some estimates from Ford and Local body shops?
 

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Craig
Joined
Dec 5, 2021
Threads
39
Messages
3,994
Reaction score
6,538
Location
Alabama
Vehicle(s)
11 F150 Lariat, 24 Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Steve, sorry, I just found your response to me effing up my paint job. I was looking through all of them to see if I had missed something that might work to solve the issue, instead, I got beat up again for allowing this to happen. That said, I literally office out of the water park across from Dirty Al's on the Island and we live on the water in Laguna Vista, so all of you comments are right on and as I said earlier, I effed up and can't afford the fixes suggested,

Thanks for writing though...

jg
John, stuff happens through life. Move on and fix it when you can afford. May I suggest at least some duck tape or something over the hole (I assume there is one) so water doesn't mess up the head liner. Good LUck
 
OP
OP

SPIJG

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 28, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
64
Reaction score
78
Location
South Padre Island, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So no help from Ford on this? Did you get some estimates from Ford and Local body shops?
Ford was going to be $2K ish and I chose not to take it to a higher level about warranty as they think it was caused my rocks
 
OP
OP

SPIJG

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 28, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
64
Reaction score
78
Location
South Padre Island, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
John, stuff happens through life. Move on and fix it when you can afford. May I suggest at least some duck tape or something over the hole (I assume there is one) so water doesn't mess up the head liner. Good LUck
Thanks and yes, will be covering!
 
Sponsored

WihakowiSteve

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
May 24, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
5
Reaction score
6
Location
TX/ME/VT
Vehicle(s)
2025 Hybrid XL, 2006 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
John - One of our favorite places to wander is the Laguna Vista Nature Trail (yup, we're some of those "Bird People")! I'll be looking out for you and your Mav (unfortunately it'll be easy to spot) as we zip around SPI & LV. Or maybe at Bay B Boomers.
 

zorki1c

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Wayne
Joined
Feb 14, 2025
Threads
6
Messages
310
Reaction score
494
Location
Boise Idaho
Vehicle(s)
1994 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad we live where humidity seldom gets to 30 percent , 10 inches of rain a year and the Mav is in a garage
 

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Rick
Joined
Sep 19, 2022
Threads
15
Messages
603
Reaction score
508
Location
Sarver Pa.
Vehicle(s)
07 Focus wagon 06 Silverado 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks and yes, will be covering!
Saw another member who had rust on his roof. It is near the moon roof opening. Seems they lack rust protection between that area. Yours has a moon roof too. I wonder if moisture gets in there. Yours looked as if it was bubbling far from the chipped area. Was your headliner ever wet.
 
OP
OP

SPIJG

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 28, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
64
Reaction score
78
Location
South Padre Island, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I appreciate your inquiring and as far as I know there isn't any damage, would I know that? My moon roof is open often and I go through car washes often and we just got nine inches of rain the past 72 hours. I didn't see the other post and will follow up, thanks!
 

lm126027

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Larry
Joined
Nov 26, 2023
Threads
10
Messages
584
Reaction score
533
Location
Central MA
Vehicle(s)
2024 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
Not sure how to treat this and living on the salt water doesn't help, so looking for a remedy to repair/fix this....

Maverick roof rust.webp
Not sure how to treat this and living on the salt water doesn't help, so looking for a remedy to repair/fix this....

Maverick roof rust.webp
Has the windshield been previously been replaced? If so, company that did it, did not properly prepare the edges before putting in the new windshield. Ran into this on a previous vehicle. Had a squawk down in the dash and to get at it the windshield (at my dealership and less than 36,000 on the vehicle) had to be removed to remove the dash (was a broken weld and metal was worn to a gap of 1/4"). Had been complaining about it everytime it went into the dealership. Was found before it got that bad when I had to have the windshield removed and that it was an issue caused by the company working on the windshield previously. Dealer had a windshield place come and remove, then replace. Company putting in the new windshield, brought it to my attention. I went back to the dealer on it and they told me to find out who did it. Dealer dug up the repair and found it was the place that I went to for the new windshield.. They paid for the repair and the entire roof was repainted, though several years later the cancer came back.
Sponsored

 
 







Top