First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Recently when washing my Maverick some paint chipped off the roof close to the windshield, revealing rust that looks to be spreading under the paint. Is this something that is covered under the corrosion warranty? I wash my truck 1-2 times per month and never noticed a chip in this area. Would the factory corrosion protection prevent the spread? This is South Florida, so no snow or salt on our roads.

I'm taking the truck in for it's 2nd oil change this week and I'll ask about the rust at that time. Regardless of outcome, I really need to get this taken care of. Looks like I'll be off to a bodyshop.

IMG_6415.jpeg

PNG image.png
Yet another issue for me to question keeping my 23 Mav if it ever comes in. So many production issues.
Sponsored

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Watching thread to see outcome. Hope they cover it. If not let us know what body shop cost was?

Bill K

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Take back to your dealer. If he values your business he will take care of it.
If not plead to Ford with multiple photos. No excuse for this.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Recently when washing my Maverick some paint chipped off the roof close to the windshield, revealing rust that looks to be spreading under the paint. Is this something that is covered under the corrosion warranty? I wash my truck 1-2 times per month and never noticed a chip in this area. Would the factory corrosion protection prevent the spread? This is South Florida, so no snow or salt on our roads.

I'm taking the truck in for it's 2nd oil change this week and I'll ask about the rust at that time. Regardless of outcome, I really need to get this taken care of. Looks like I'll be off to a bodyshop.

IMG_6415.jpeg

PNG image.png
That's a problem with aluminum hoods. My 2007 Mustang has a small bubble on front edge of hood too, but never got worse. Should be under warranty.

Mavboy2023

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_6415.jpeg

PNG image.png
How unfortnate and it should not have happened at all. Did a rock hit it some time ago and remove the paint and rust coat?

Sponsored

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

IMG_6415.jpeg

PNG image.png
You need to take care of this before it goes through the metal or it becomes a major issue like welding a plate over it all the rust has to be removed or its coming back ! , I have done 100s of warranty claims for paint and body repairs over the 40 years at a multi-line dealers body shop, this could go either way I think depending on the dealer and fords process for these claims, It may have to be seen by area factory manger to get the OK. The whole roof has to be painted, they will paint the area and clear coat the whole roof, no blending and if they go through the metal while removing the rust welding is involved, lots of parts have to be removed glass removed maybe the headliner, etc, etc.
They may say it was a stone chip that was not touched up, looking at the photo hard to tell is that the front edge of the roof if yes it could of been a stone chip, something like that is hard to miss and had to take time to go through the rusting process. My advice when going to the dealer is be nice, you want the dealer on your side if they say NO ask for a appointment with the factory rep, he comes in about once a month, hope he says OK. I have seen many times when someone came in with something that was their fault and they coved it.
Good luck I hope it goes your way.

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's not good. I would hope that Ford covers that under warranty. A car that is not in the rust belt should not have rust through the paint after less than 2 years. That's a factory defect.

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Mav paint seems extremely thin. I have 3 rock chips @ only 700 miles. If you wanted to fix that yourself you would sand it and apply rust converter to stop the rust and then self etching primer. Finally spray can of color and clear.

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sucks to have had that happen to your Maverick. Paint can be a little permeable to water and you can see examples where the paint bubbles up seemingly in the middle of nowhere. That could be caused by water penetrating the paint, especially if the clear-coat is thin in areas. Hand applied wax helps create a barrier that keeps water and air away from the paint to a degree which can stop/slow corrosion.

In my experience, it's best to remove the bubbling paint, sand away the rust, put a coat of rust inhibitor or rust converter paint down, primer, colored paint, clear coat, let it cure, sand it smooth with 1,500 grit wet, buff it out.

Yeah, it's not a perfect but I've done that on a few vehicles in my past and it makes pretty decent repairs. It'd be EASIER and BETTER to take it to a paint shop but, we're talking about a cheap truck. Cheap for a new truck, I mean.

Wax is for more than just a clean look, people. (not directed at anyone in particular...)

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided

IMG_6415.jpeg

PNG image.png
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While this could be a case of an object striking the truck and causing the paint to come off ( and the area around it to begin degrading).... and not a warranty consideration.....

Since I see no "dent" this might be a case of contaminants on the body before paint is applied. While the warranty is a bit ambiguous on what is covered, this looks like it would be worth having the dealer look at it. They may or may not be able to give you a positive answer. What can happen is they forward this to the Ford warranty/service rep for the area. They may want to see the truck themselves, or not, but in my opinion this may be a case that Ford will want to cover.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Took the truck to my dealers body shop this week and they took some photos to share with Ford. Our conversation had me leaving feeling positive about having this fixed under warranty but I was told it is completely up to Ford in the end.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That won't be covered unfortunately

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just to update everyone. Ford denied warranty repair - reason being a chip in the location. Chip or not, I've never had a vehicle rust like this at this rapid rate. My 21 year old LX470 has rock chips all over the quarter panels, hood, doors, and roof and even if they spot rust it never spreads under the paint like this. Definitely resets my expectations with this vehicle.

WhiteMaverick12

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just to update everyone. Ford denied warranty repair - reason being a chip in the location. Chip or not, I've never had a vehicle rust like this at this rapid rate. My 21 year old LX470 has rock chips all over the quarter panels, hood, doors, and roof and even if they spot rust it never spreads under the paint like this. Definitely resets my expectations with this vehicle.
Sue them!
Sponsored