First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would love for a definitive answer on whether a DORA - which is all most Maverick orders received is binding - either with Ford Corporate or legally. From what I can tell it really is only an order with Ford Corporate to build a vehicle and the dealership can do what they want after they receive it because you are buying it it really from them. The whole system without a true purchase order is slimy.
I talked with a lawyer, Ford Corporate, and the Ford GM for my area. This was all in regards to the Jim Clck Ford Order I had where they screwed. I can assure you the DORA is not binding.
Sponsored

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I talked with a lawyer, Ford Corporate, and the Ford GM for my area. This was all in regards to the Jim Clck Ford Order I had where they screwed. I can assure you the DORA is not binding.
I thought that as well. Wonder why Ford Corporate doesnt push for signed, deposited, purchase orders which would eliminate 99% of all this foolishness. Who really wants to rely on the "honesty" of dealerships to honor what they told you. I was told -this is the price you will pay when given my DORA. No one really knows that until 6 to 8 months later when your truck is ready for delivery if your dealership is honest or not ( with some high volume dealers on here being proven honest ) so it put the consumer in a really tough spot mostly due to lack of availability. It s a hostage situation LOL

OP
OP

secretagentstone

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Mazda MX-5 RF, 90 Turbo NA Miata, '79 El Camino
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I thought that as well. Wonder why Ford Corporate doesnt push for signed, deposited, purchase orders which would eliminate 99% of all this foolishness. Who really wants to rely on the "honesty" of dealerships to honor what they told you. I was told -this is the price you will pay when given my DORA. No one really knows that until 6 to 8 months later when your truck is ready for delivery if your dealership is honest or not ( with some high volume dealers on here being proven honest ) so it put the consumer in a really tough spot mostly due to lack of availability. It s a hostage situation LOL

Hostage situation is exactly what it feels like. For those on this thread that feel that I am just rolling over and accepting the situation, I promise you I am not. I'm doing what I can diplomatically to sort this out but the truth of it is dealerships are taking advantage of 6-8 month wait situation by holding Mavericks back as hostage unless you pay the mark ups.

Ford corporate can say all they want about how displeased they are with the mark ups and customer treatment but I've yet to see Ford do anything to stop it from happening.

donbreiner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the Ford Dealer order listing all the options, pricing etc & signed by the General Manager & myself. Lariat Hybrid, Rapid Red, Lux Pkg, First Edition, & CoPilot 360 for total MSRP $32,855.00. Am I protected in your opinion? At the very bottom of this sheet it indicates: " This order has not been submitted to the order bank. This is not an invoice." I have no reason to suspect the dealer will try to charge over MSRP, but don't want any surprises either. I am Priority 2 since 11/26 but still not build date. Should I be concerned?

OP
OP

secretagentstone

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have the Ford Dealer order listing all the options, pricing etc & signed by the General Manager & myself. Lariat Hybrid, Rapid Red, Lux Pkg, First Edition, & CoPilot 360 for total MSRP $32,855.00. Am I protected in your opinion? At the very bottom of this sheet it indicates: " This order has not been submitted to the order bank. This is not an invoice." I have no reason to suspect the dealer will try to charge over MSRP, but don't want any surprises either. I am Priority 2 since 11/26 but still not build date. Should I be concerned?
Sure do. Does this work?
65142924042__24D3694D-2D58-4F90-9F90-8A55E6C5BAF9.jpg
If its a document that looks like this, It didn't prevent my dealership from insisting that I buy additional packages.

Sponsored

jjMichigan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Yup! I told them that and they said they were still going to charge me regardless.
You can go a few different ways, but it depends on a few things.

What is on your order and was that disclosed prior? Contact Ford, Texas DMV (they over see dealers) State Attorney General and the BBB. Now if they end up selling your truck from under you, you could have a few options sue them for breach of contract (depends on what was in your agreement). There are some other lawsuits as well, all depends on how much you want to spend but consult with a local lawyer. It might cost your $2500 for the lawyer but rather they get it than the slimy dealer. All that being said their website does say" Your reservation does not guarantee a set price for the vehicle". It is going to be what is on your paper when you placed the order was it a signed contract or a signed order and if there was anything about price paid. You might want to contact your State Attorney general on this, not sure how it works in Texas but all states have a way that an AG can make a public opinion about an issue, this is not binding but can give an opinion if you proceed they may also take the case.

Other option is just to pay the $2500 give them all horrid scores on the customer survey, if enough people do it Ford can pull franchise agreements. Also based on the sleaze to do this I'm sure the dealer is in violation of many things in how they do in business in here - Motor Vehicle Dealer Manual (txdmv.gov) find a few things that you see as your complete your purchase and note every person, especially if a dealer manger or principal is around at that point and call and turn into the Texas DMV as it is going to be your best weapon on the them, while Ford can pull allocation and make it difficult the DMV can just pull the license on the dealership to sell vehicles. Yes it cost you $2500 but you made their life hell for a long while and probably some fines.

You can also contact local news media and have them do a story on things like this even better you can also talk to a State rep about getting laws passed to prevent this sort of "add on" as this hasn't been an issue on the past and now with tight supply it is getting way more common to screw consumers.

However if you're telling the truth the most expensive and petty but most damning is I'd tell them to shove the truck, order from another dealer (many do sticker or even under) and use the $2500 and start a GoFundMe for the rest to rent the billboard on the opposite site of I-10 from them with "Tried to force me to pay an extra $2500 on a ordered vehicle! Shop Somewhere Else! with an HUGE bright green arrow pointing across the freeway toward their dealership" San Antonio Billboard and other Outdoor Advertising (clearchanneloutdoor.com) I'd say you could do the ones in their parking lot but I'd guess they have some oversight with Clear Channel about approving copy. At this point the media would find you for the story and would probably be national story on dealers over charging customers at this point. The dealer would also do almost anything to get you to take it down.

WFred8

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Really sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately there are scumbag dealers out there. I believe mine is honest and I not only have a signed DORA but also a signed Buyers Order Worksheet which details all costs that I agreed to pay when I ordered. However, if they pulled the same number on me that your dealer did I would certainly try out all the advise I have seen on this thread. If none of that would work I would try one final "scorch earth" tatic. Most large cities have TV stations that have some kind of "on your side" station personel that go to places like this armed with TV cameras to put them on the spot for cheating, etc. Most places fall in line when facing this rather than getting the really bad publicity.

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

However if you're telling the truth the most expensive and petty but most damning is I'd tell them to shove the truck, order from another dealer (many do sticker or even under) and use the $2500 and start a GoFundMe for the rest to rent the billboard on the opposite site of I-10 from them with "Tried to force me to pay an extra $2500 on a ordered vehicle! Shop Somewhere Else! with an HUGE bright green arrow pointing across the freeway toward their dealership" San Antonio Billboard and other Outdoor Advertising (clearchanneloutdoor.com) I'd say you could do the ones in their parking lot but I'd guess they have some oversight with Clear Channel about approving copy. At this point the media would find you for the story and would probably be national story on dealers over charging customers at this point. The dealer would also do almost anything to get you to take it down.
I'll donate to that

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

JoeEd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's not so easy getting in touch with Ford but I did reach out to them over email and twitter. Will keep you all posted. Hopefully my post will get people to avoid the dealership for now.
Don't know what will happen down the road, but it is wise to have a paper trail with Ford regarding this particular situation. Hope you get a response soon. The fact that they are messing around with your military benefit as well is even more disgusting. Good luck, and thank you for your service.

Sponsored

donbreiner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately there are scumbag dealers out there. I believe mine is honest and I not only have a signed DORA but also a signed Buyers Order Worksheet which details all costs that I agreed to pay when I ordered. However, if they pulled the same number on me that your dealer did I would certainly try out all the advise I have seen on this thread. If none of that would work I would try one fiWanal "scorch earth" tatic. Most large cities have TV stations that have some kind of "on your side" station personel that go to places like this armed with TV cameras to put them on the spot for cheating, etc. Most places fall in line when facing this rather than getting the really bad publicity.
My DORA is signed by the General Manager & myself, does that mean anything?

OP
OP

secretagentstone

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

These are some seriously creative ideas! The truth of it is I just want to get a decent deal on the truck. I spoke with my sales person to highlight the issues I have and how I am displeased I will have to pay for this "Texas Protection Package". Even offered a consolation to purchase just the tints for an eye watering $599.

I was told "This is for all our customers regardless of vehicle. Wouldn't make you pay anything extra that I (wouldn't) have the rest of my customers pay.

I reminded them that I feel I have no other option than to accept this situation but that it would be directly reflected in my post sales reviews and on other public forums. This is when my sales person accused me of blackmailing the dealership.

For now, I'll hold off on sharing any more information. Hopefully all goes well but my gut instinct is that I may have rattled the hornets nest and I might just be out of a maverick all together based on how angry they seemed with my recourse of leaving a bad review for forcing me to buy this package.

OP
OP

secretagentstone

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't know what will happen down the road, but it is wise to have a paper trail with Ford regarding this particular situation. Hope you get a response soon. The fact that they are messing around with your military benefit as well is even more disgusting. Good luck, and thank you for your service.
Thanks! I wouldnt say that they are messing with the discount it was just an aside comment that mentioned my military discount would in someway make the $2500 charge, $500 less.

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These types of posts are infuriating to hear. I am lucky that I have a reliable vehicle to drive while I wait for my Maverick. If my dealership pulls something like this I won’t buy it because I refuse to pay ADM’s or unauthorized added features.

If I was in need of my Maverick and they pulled this I would still walk away and buy a cheap and reliable as possible vehicle and reorder with a reputable dealer on this forum.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid