First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes so hotspot will not work without a data plan through ATT but the connected services such as the remote start and vehicle controls WILL work without an additional plan or fee. That is of course assuming you are already paying for a smartphone data plan for your smartphone.
Sponsored

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
There is no way for your phone to communicate without a plan.
Here is the official wording from the Ford order guide:
  1. 1Wi-Fi hotspot includes wireless data trial that begins upon AT&T activation and expires at the end of 3 months or when 3GB of data is used, whichever comes first, but cannot extend beyond the trial subscription period for remote features. To activate, go to www.att.com/ford
    2FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), the Ford Pass App., and Complimentary Connected Services are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected Service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected services excludes Wi-Fi hotspot.
I don't think you need the plan. You just have to be in range of att cell towers. WIFI has nothing to do with ford pass connect services working.

FordPass is a free app. The remote features of the FordPass App are complimentary. Right from the FAQ on ford pass connects site

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yup ford pass is 100 percent a free service across the ford lineup

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll wait until someone from Ford can clarify this. I don't see how my T-Mobile connected phone is going to access AT&T towers. Looks to me like it's free for a trial period.

OP
OP

PortlandME

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll wait until someone from Ford can clarify this. I don't see how my T-Mobile connected phone is going to access AT&T towers. Looks to me like it's free for a trial period.
It’s not. The car is going to access AT&T towers to send/receive data and your phone will connect to whatever tower it normally connects to to send/receive data.

Sponsored

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Think of it this way…. The truck has a smartphone integrated into it that uses ATT service to connect to the internet to send and receive data. You can talk to your truck in just the same way you can text or call someone with an ATT phone with your T-Mobile phone. You don’t have to have the same service to use the FordPass app.

ATT is simply the service Ford has chosen to use for its 4g modem. If the area doesn’t have good ATT coverage then the truck won’t have good connectivity and the FordPass app might not work even If your phone has perfect service.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you google search FordPass cost per month it says the only thing you pay for is the WiFi hotspot thru AT&T at $20 per month. All the other functions of FordPass like remote start and vehicle status are all free.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tacoma
As far as I understand, you don't need to wifi for the other functions of the ford pass either.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You only need wifi for software update of sync 2.5.

Sponsored

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tacoma
I meant the cellular wifi hotspot. Meaning you don't need to pay AT&T for the wifi hotspot to use fordpass functions.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So one final clarification -- Ford has an agreement with AT&T that even without an actual data plan paid for by the customer, Ford is paying AT&T to have a minimal connectivity no matter what so that you can communicate with your vehicle if it's within a cell tower range. Is that right?

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
Our Audi has limited connectivity including lock/unlock, oil level, fuel level, location with no cellular plan on our end.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They have bulk Internet Of Things agreements with ATT and Bell Canada. IOT LTE is a low bandwidth, 3G speed or less service perfect for door unlock and stats. It's a different service from 5G wifi access point plans.