Sponsored

Recall experience with dealer; anyone else told this?

L_Ron_Hoover

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat; hybrid; luxury, locked vault up front
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Regarding the most recent recall, the one involving the battery and unexpected stalling: I contacted the dealer who scheduled the service. They picked up my car and called me a few hours later. They said they ran the tests to see if my car was affected and, since it was, they needed to order the parts from Ford and then they would need my car again to do the repair. When I scheduled the service initially, they didn't tell me anything about potentially needing a second service for them to do the repair. It seemed sketchy. Does anyone know if this is, in fact, the dealer protocol? Incidentally, the dealer said they would contact me when the part arrived and I have not heard from them. It's been 4 weeks. I thought I'd check here before I contacted them.
Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Happened to me. Something about clips.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just be glad it was not something where they had to keep it for days or weeks.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is common. I had a recall on the Escape and the first visit was to see if it was impacted. Since it was, they needed to order parts (no sense stocking parts when you don't know what is affected or not). However, for the second visit, they were able to do the recall in my driveway.

OP
OP

L_Ron_Hoover

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the input, glad it wasn't just me. For what it's worth, I disagree on it not making sense to stock parts that may not be needed. Recalls are an inconvenience and Ford should supply the parts to the dealers so that customers do not require an additional service call.

Sponsored

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the input, glad it wasn't just me. For what it's worth, I disagree on it not making sense to stock parts that may not be needed. Recalls are an inconvenience and Ford should supply the parts to the dealers so that customers do not require an additional service call.
It really depends on the recall. For some, Ford sends "seed stock" to dealers. Sometimes parts are on "open order". Sometimes there are special procedures that you need to go through to order parts VIN-specifically when they are very limited.

Remember, dealers do have to pay for the parts. So they should have a say in what parts they stock (but Ford is trying to micro-manage dealers' parts inventory now). For seed-stock, dealers have no choice. They get what they get. But for other parts, they do need to be ordered.

For 22B39B, the clips some have mentioned are "as needed". So no quantity is given. So this may be a reason dealers don't have any/enough to start with. And it also looks like one of the two clips is currently on backorder.....

But I certainly agree, for most recalls, it doesn't make sense for a dealer to make an appointment without having the parts ordered and on hand!

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I got a recall notice for the trailer running lights (I had not hooked up a trailer yet so didn't realize the wiring wasn't there for the running lights). Made appt and went to the dealer, they looked up my VIN and very dismissively said my truck wasn't covered by the recall. I said I had a letter that said it was, they said I needed to bring the letter in. Had to book another appt. Couple days later, hooked up my trailer, and yeah, no running lights. Made another appt. Took truck in, showed them the recall notice. They checked it. Said they had to order parts. Made another appt. They said I had to have a trailer attached? That made zero sense....the issue was obviously not with my trailer. Went back, with trailer attached (which was a royal pain for me, due to having to take even more time off from work to get it out of storage) and they fixed it. Impressed with Ford based on my overall ownership experience so far, I am not! Impressed with my local dealer, I am definitely not. I buy a new vehicle every 2-3 years. Ford won't be on my list for the next one.

ychuck46

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Supercrew w/EcoBoost engine, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our Mav hybrid had gotten the point that every time it was turned off the truck was dead, and had to be jumped with my handheld battery charger. Couldn't really use it under those conditions so we dropped it off without an appointment and had them do the airbag recall as well. They finished the airbag recall within a day but the new cable running from the underseat battery to the positive terminal under the hood took almost three weeks for Ford to ship in. Our dealer quickly installed it and checked to be sure it was starting fine and we have had it back for about a week now. Ford is really having difficulty getting enough of these cables in even though they are telling everyone to get their vehicles to their local dealer for the recall to be performed.

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Regarding the most recent recall, the one involving the battery and unexpected stalling: I contacted the dealer who scheduled the service. They picked up my car and called me a few hours later. They said they ran the tests to see if my car was affected and, since it was, they needed to order the parts from Ford and then they would need my car again to do the repair. When I scheduled the service initially, they didn't tell me anything about potentially needing a second service for them to do the repair. It seemed sketchy. Does anyone know if this is, in fact, the dealer protocol? Incidentally, the dealer said they would contact me when the part arrived and I have not heard from them. It's been 4 weeks. I thought I'd check here before I contacted them.
Apparently Ford requires the verification… FYI, you do not want to see this procedure… Between the airbags, battery cable and the 1st under hood fire, the tech pretty much disassembled the interior of my truck (all completed together) and yes, there is a second under hood fire recall coming. Rumors suggest either a total engine replacement (very unlikely) or extending the powertrain warranty. Crankshaft issue

OP
OP

L_Ron_Hoover

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hate that people are dealing with all that nonsense. I hope you are bringing those stories to Ford and the dealer's ownership group. May not do any good but can't hurt (except for the time it takes to call/email). I love the truck but Ford's total indifference to the customer experience is hard to miss.