booyah

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I'm considering a small ATV winch on a trailer hitch to assist with jobs I sometimes need to do. IE pull out the dock for winter at the cottage, pull logs to clear the trail, or firewood, assist a stuck friends crossover, or get my trailer unstuck.

Anyone look at using something like this for a small winch to run from the battery to back in the bed area?

https://www.amazon.com/SAFEMATE-Gauge-Jumper-Cables-Connect/dp/B0C5XCTTHQ

looking at a winch and hitch setup like these, no I dont plan on using my Mav as an offroad recovery vehicle, but it might be useful to get me unstuck too at some point 🙃

hitch mount
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BG1XLWS
ATV Winch
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09N8G32RX
Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nothing wrong with this idea.
I'd actually like a small winch (could be even smaller) mounted behind the window glass for pulling a cart up and into the bed.

Anyone ; let me know if you find a good mounting method to mount a winch behind the window.

OP
OP
booyah

booyah

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
actually as I think about it, I bet you could mount a plate across the bed and bolted under the first two bed tie downs as they're supposed to be very heavy duty, and mount a winch to that plate...

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe someone here actually made a winch in a box (or maybe that was B6G).

Regardless I do like where your head is at and I've debated doing something very similar.

Sponsored

jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had the same thought for a rear hitch winch. Look at Deka jumper cables. They are USA made and about the same $.

fauxhican

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
actually as I think about it, I bet you could mount a plate across the bed and bolted under the first two bed tie downs as they're supposed to be very heavy duty, and mount a winch to that plate...
Thinking out loud... For light duty, like deer, how about just a block and tackle setup using those 2 forward D rings and some rope that won't scratch things up too bad? Carabiner that rig in and out, store it in the cubby or wherever.

Ford Maverick Rear Winch Idea 3-to-1-Two-Pulleys-up-To

Editing to add: If you really don't want to pull that reduced weight, tie the loose rope end to a tree and just drive forward. haha

OP
OP
booyah

booyah

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
figure you still have to do some lifting to get it up, but not a bad idea at all!

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've used a Harbor Freight hitch winch. Worked well...just plug it into your trailer hitch. Remote control is a big advantage.

Last edited:

fauxhican

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
figure you still have to do some lifting to get it up, but not a bad idea at all!
Got the ol' redneck engineering wheels turning. Now I'm imagining some kind of gin pole setup. :LOL:

Sponsored

budpalumbo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't tried it with the mav but I have the same(ish) setup. I bought a stacked receiver and put the winch on top. I used it to pull dead cars on a tow dolly or dead garden tractors or my hit-miss engine on a trailer.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Solid idea. On thing to check though is those cables. Make sure they are actual copper stranded. Winches demand a lot of power. They also cook wires even the short ones they come with. I only buy HF winches but I do have to replace their cables every couple years. They are often aluminum coated in copper. They corrode quickly as well. It may cost more but I would(and have on a Eagle cross country offroading trip) just buy the cable and make my own wire set with solid connections(clamps have a smallish contact area). There is another option I just came up with that would work with marginal capability jumper cables. You could extend the mounting plate for the winch to include a dedicated battery. With nice fat short cables, and then connect the jumper cables to your vehicles battery to keep the winch battery floated. It will also reduce the strain on your starting battery. Essentially working like a capacitor.

OP
OP
booyah

booyah

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Solid idea. On thing to check though is those cables. Make sure they are actual copper stranded. Winches demand a lot of power. They also cook wires even the short ones they come with. I only buy HF winches but I do have to replace their cables every couple years. They are often aluminum coated in copper. They corrode quickly as well. It may cost more but I would(and have on a Eagle cross country offroading trip) just buy the cable and make my own wire set with solid connections(clamps have a smallish contact area). There is another option I just came up with that would work with marginal capability jumper cables. You could extend the mounting plate for the winch to include a dedicated battery. With nice fat short cables, and then connect the jumper cables to your vehicles battery to keep the winch battery floated. It will also reduce the strain on your starting battery. Essentially working like a capacitor.
I've thought about something like that, but it does complicate things. My Ideal solution would be something that when not in use I can stash in the storage area under the back seats, and having a secondary battery pushes that outside the realm. A winch in the garage does me no good if I need it in the woods that day :confused:.

I do have a deep cycle battery in a box I use with a canoe trolling motor, or for extra juice when off grid camping (I can charge it from my tiny camper's solar panels), but bringing it everywhere is not a good solution for me

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've thought about something like that, but it does complicate things. My Ideal solution would be something that when not in use I can stash in the storage area under the back seats, and having a secondary battery pushes that outside the realm. A winch in the garage does me no good if I need it in the woods that day :confused:.

I do have a deep cycle battery in a box I use with a canoe trolling motor, or for extra juice when off grid camping (I can charge it from my tiny camper's solar panels), but bringing it everywhere is not a good solution for me
I installed one and here's the post.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/installed-a-hitch-mounted-winch.30916/

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here’s a video of a bed mounted hitch in sweet looking Maverick, I believe he’s a member here.
Sponsored