Pastor_Zatx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone have any recommendations for a rear LED light bar? You know the kind, they plug into your trailer wiring and provide brake reverse and turn signals?

Surely , someone has found one that works on their new Maverick?
Sponsored

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just tried a light strip but only the run lights worked... No Turn or Brake lights. The light strip worked when jumped from the battery but not through the factory trailer light plug. The trailer light plug shows power with my old 12v test light. Some newer vehicles have a canbus system that cuts out if the light bulb fails. I'm guessing it has to do with the low current draw of the LED light strip and the system figures the light failed then cuts power. Just my guess, I'm just starting to look into this. I haven't owned a Ford in many years so I'm starting from ground zero. Sure hope someone will chime in with the answer for us.

TRUCKHEF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
you gotta tap into tail light harness, in addition to the problems you mentioned the truck will also think there is a trailer attached and disable some safety features such as co pilot 360 amongst others.

Geo_tonz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT (on order)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am going to give this one a try, tapping directly into the tail light wiring to avoid the truck sensing an attached trailer. It’s only redbrake, signal and running lights) and white (reverse) so there shouldn’t be any converter to run separate amber signal lights that might mess with it’s operation. I also decided that as the mav has no amber rear signals I would match red-for-red for the signal lights for aesthetics. We’ll see how it goes. Chose this one because of the high number of reviews/ratings and there was a Maverick video a guy did on installing it where I could see the function and how it fit.
Ford Maverick Rear LED light bar recommendations? 60BF319C-7FD0-4E91-9461-65C6AC6D73E6

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks "TRUCKHEF", I was afraid that was going to be the solution. Time to put some cardboard down and crawl under to find the best access point to the harness.

Here's a link for the same light strip for about $11 (no warranty). You want the 1.2m for the Maverick. Shipping takes about 2 weeks from China. I've bought several items from Aliexpress and had pretty good luck, you just have to wait 2-4 weeks. Pay attention to the shipping cost on the listings. Some sellers jack up the price and most of the items are sold by several sellers.

Universal Tailgate Light Strips 12V 24V Car LED Turn Signal Lamp For Truck Pickup Jeep Flexible DRL Car Daytime Running Lights| | - AliExpress

Sponsored

OP
OP

Pastor_Zatx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks "TRUCKHEF", I was afraid that was going to be the solution. Time to put some cardboard down and crawl under to find the best access point to the harness.

Here's a link for the same light strip for about $11 (no warranty). You want the 1.2m for the Maverick. Shipping takes about 2 weeks from China. I've bought several items from Aliexpress and had pretty good luck, you just have to wait 2-4 weeks. Pay attention to the shipping cost on the listings. Some sellers jack up the price and most of the items are sold by several sellers.

Universal Tailgate Light Strips 12V 24V Car LED Turn Signal Lamp For Truck Pickup Jeep Flexible DRL Car Daytime Running Lights| | - AliExpress
Thanks. I paid $9 after a coupon.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone have any recommendations for a rear LED light bar? You know the kind, they plug into your trailer wiring and provide brake reverse and turn signals?

Surely , someone has found one that works on their new Maverick?
This is probably more expensive for this use. Curt makes a add on brake controller that has clips that "T" into oem harness clips. It has a controller which is powered by a separate hot wire from 12v source (possibly battery and comes with separate fuze). The controller detects when each brake or running light is lit and relays then power the add on trailer using current from the add on hot wire. Check with any supplier for curt stuff and see if one is ready for maverick oem clips.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is probably more expensive for this use. Curt makes a add on brake controller that has clips that "T" into oem harness clips. It has a controller which is powered by a separate hot wire from 12v source (possibly battery and comes with separate fuze). The controller detects when each brake or running light is lit and relays then power the add on trailer using current from the add on hot wire. Check with any supplier for curt stuff and see if one is ready for maverick oem clips.
After thought. If you have four or seven pin hitch plug you could just plug int existing trailer plug but that may and probably affect the "I have a trailer attached" sensors.

OP
OP

Pastor_Zatx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My XLT has the tow package, but not copilot 360. What if anything would be disabled if I plugged into the trailer pins?

Traveling Man

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just tried a light strip but only the run lights worked... No Turn or Brake lights. The light strip worked when jumped from the battery but not through the factory trailer light plug. The trailer light plug shows power with my old 12v test light. Some newer vehicles have a canbus system that cuts out if the light bulb fails. I'm guessing it has to do with the low current draw of the LED light strip and the system figures the light failed then cuts power. Just my guess, I'm just starting to look into this. I haven't owned a Ford in many years so I'm starting from ground zero. Sure hope someone will chime in with the answer for us.
[ Where did you place the bar on the maverick tail gate or on the box?

Sponsored

Traveling Man

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Where did you place the bar on the tail gate or the botton of the box

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My XLT has the tow package, but not copilot 360. What if anything would be disabled if I plugged into the trailer pins?
Someone has reported that in his four pin hitch if he plugged in to power his accessory with his running light then his maverick thought he had a trailer attached and his auto start/stop was turned off and engine would run in tow mode. Don't know for sure but I think backup camera goes off also. In any case his work around was to cut the left and right signal wires in the accessory power plug. (I have no idea what they would have been attached to , but???) He in effect was just using the brown and white wires next to each other in the four pin plug.

azadv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone have the left/right tail light plug wiring colors in order to tap in for this type of light bar directly to the lights instead of the trailer plug?

EDIT: Figured it out:
Ford Maverick Rear LED light bar recommendations? 1663727074885

Last edited:
OP
OP

Pastor_Zatx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone have the left/right tail light plug wiring colors in order to tap in for this type of light bar directly to the lights instead of the trailer plug?

EDIT: Figured it out:
1663727074885.png
Thank you for providing this. What does it mean by right and left connector?

azadv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for providing this. What does it mean by right and left connector?
left and right tail light connector wiring, what I was asking for…
Sponsored