Sponsored

Rear dashcam quality with factory window tint?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I've narrowed down by dashcam choice to a few 4K front units:

Viofo A129 Pro (this has an unfortunate top mini-usb cord placement for the rear camera that forces you to place it slightly lower than you might want)
Vantrue X4S
Vantrue N4

I'm curious if anyone has a rear dashcam currently and if you can comment on the day and night quality through the rear factory tint. Is it acceptable, and is it worth the extra ~$50 or so for the rear camera channel?

EDIT: I don't expect to get license plates from the rear cam in any case at 1080p, and lack of front license plates in my state lol. But just to make sure the quality is decent for clearly seeing what's happening.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Found a video of a guy with 5% tint which is about as strong as it could be lol. I think our Maverick tint is somewhere between 20-30%

Front-0% vs 50% tint

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Viofo A129 Pro (this has an unfortunate top mini-usb cord placement for the rear camera that forces you to place it slightly lower than you might want)
I've used this one in my previous car and ordered another set for the maverick. Tint wasn't an issue on previous car and working off memory I don't think it'll be an issue at all for the maverick. (Haven't set up the rear camera because been too lazy to run the wires.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've used this one in my previous car and ordered another set for the maverick. Tint wasn't an issue on previous car and working off memory I don't think it'll be an issue at all for the maverick. (Haven't set up the rear camera because been too lazy to run the wires.)
Thanks I’m pretty set on that one as well, I have an older model of the same type in my old car that I plan to leave in there and sell with it.

Does the phone app work well for you, or at all?

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a Vantrue N4 yesterday. I'll tell you how it is, but I probably wont install it for weeks (Its freak'n cold man).

rth121

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can always adjust the exposure for the cameras... At least on the Viofo. Currently using the Viofo A139 in the Ford Maverick and Viofo T130 in the VW ID.4

potatosalad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I suppose you could mount the viofo upside down in the rear and flip the video should you ever need it. I'm leaning towards the n4 myself although I've had viofo in the past without issue.
Sponsored