First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well my plans just got put on hold. Turbo was damaged, working on getting that resolved, and the my spare car is way further from being ready than originally planned. Good luck with your setup and I am excited to see how it goes.
I hear you on that! Saturday I tore my project car down to the block, but I have 2 more cars that I still have as daily's as well, so I am lucky to be able to work as I want. My big issue is time!

As far as colder plugs, that's probably a good idea to go a step colder. I don't think I am pushing much more power than stock to require that, but it should probably happen at some point.

Injectors, on other 2020+ 2.0T cars, seem to be the same as the Ranger's 2.3T injectors. I don't see that being a limiting factor yet on 93 octane, even with the Ranger turbo on there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello everyone, over the weekend I decided to start working on the intercooler. Holy cow is this involved. If you are concerned about cutting up plastics on your new Mav, this is not the mod for you! Haha. I have a ton of time into doing this, and I still have to finish fabbing up the upper two mounts. Hopefully I'll have it done in the next few days.

The plastic shroud that surrounds the intercooler, also surrounds the AC condenser and the radiator. It's all one huge plastic injection piece. That is why a lot of cutting is required. I'll post up a few pics, if there is anything specific anyone wants to see, let me know.

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220604_164749

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220604_164757

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220604_164807

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220604_170401

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220604_170408

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220605_164544

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220605_211651

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, I got the top two mounts welded up, and put everything back together, but I did have to cut the bumper cover more than I thought I would. The intercooler is so tall, it was either cut into the crash beam, or cut the bottom of the bumper. I was hoping it would clear, but it didn't. It is what it is. I may look into lower valances to put a lip on the front, but really I don't mind it. I'm sure this won't be for everyone haha.

So the new best is 14.09@97mph. This was a version 2 of the 91 octane from 5*. I'm sure it'll easily run high 13s with some cooler weather with a little better DA, butcthe big thing needed is torque management turned down, or off, to allow it to build boost on a launch. It will build boost, but the factory programming pulls it right away.

Also, check out the value of my Mav, freaking insane, lol.

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220606_172447

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220606_172441

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220606_175020

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220607_110827

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Screenshot_20220607-204423_dragy

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build Screenshot_20220607-220412_Chrome

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow!!! If you can custom make those brackets. Along with templates for where to cut the plastic, You could sell that as a kit.

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow!!! If you can custom make those brackets. Along with templates for where to cut the plastic, You could sell that as a kit.
I'm just a garage builder. I'm just sharing my backwoods work with everyone so they can see that you can do this stuff yourself, or possibly with some friends if you don't have a welder....

I also will not sell anything, as the last person who tried that was told they have to become a paying sponsor of the site. I'm not doing this to make money, I want to see some fast Mav's, that's all!!!

Sponsored

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, I got the top two mounts welded up, and put everything back together, but I did have to cut the bumper cover more than I thought I would. The intercooler is so tall, it was either cut into the crash beam, or cut the bottom of the bumper. I was hoping it would clear, but it didn't. It is what it is. I may look into lower valances to put a lip on the front, but really I don't mind it. I'm sure this won't be for everyone haha.

So the new best is 14.09@97mph. This was a version 2 of the 91 octane from 5*. I'm sure it'll easily run high 13s with some cooler weather with a little better DA, butcthe big thing needed is torque management turned down, or off, to allow it to build boost on a launch. It will build boost, but the factory programming pulls it right away.

Also, check out the value of my Mav, freaking insane, lol.

20220606_172447.jpg

20220606_172441.jpg

20220606_175020.jpg

20220607_110827.jpg

Screenshot_20220607-204423_dragy.jpg

Screenshot_20220607-220412_Chrome.jpg
Looks like you're putting down around 250HP to the wheels. That's not a bad tune.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hear ya, I made up a couple sets of prototype bed tracks with aircraft type cargo track, and was shut down when people went nuts over them. Made a set for me and a friend, that was it.

Maybe post up some pix of the brackets by themselves? I am really good at fabrication and reverse engineering. I work as a fabricator in the aviation industry.

Heres the tracks I drilled up, and made stainless steel end caps for.

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build IMG_0366

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build IMG_0367

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220531_095110

Last edited:

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Definitely a lot of plastic cutting. I can see that for sure. Id recommend adding an air splitter underneath the bumper cover like JJC did on his, and some bafflling on the sides to force the airflow through it, and not let it go around. Airflow will always take the path of least resistance. It will help that intercooler efficiency even more.

I also read an article on a guy who opened up the intake, and exhaust, added a tune from 5 star performance and was knocking down 13.8 in the quarter, and 39-41 mpg highway. It was a 4K tow pack truck. He never went any further into it.

I dig the performance it's getting with just those modifications, but right now i want the mpgs. I dont have mine yet, but am following your mods and results. If you can post part numbers of things like the intercooler, couplings, adaptors etc, and where you got them at, it would be much appreciated. I think I want a bigger FMIC on mine when I get it.

Thanks!!
Matt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah the power is decent, but just like stock, when you mash the gas at a light, there is quite the slow rollout before the Mav actually wakes up. There is no reason these shouldn't be running 1.8 second 60' times. Once that gets down, I would assume mine would ideally run in the mid 13's. Hopefully one day I get this Ranger turbo on and go for some high 12's like I want, lol.

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Definitely a lot of plastic cutting. I can see that for sure. Id recommend adding an air splitter underneath the bumper cover like JJC did on his, and some bafflling on the sides to force the airflow through it, and not let it go around. Airflow will always take the path of least resistance. It will help that intercooler efficiency even more.

I also read an article on a guy who opened up the intake, and exhaust, added a tune from 5 star performance and was knocking down 13.8 in the quarter, and 39-41 mpg highway. It was a 4K tow pack truck.

I dig the performance, but right now want the mpgs. I dont have mine yet, but am following your mods and results. If you can post part numbers of things like the intercooler, couplings, adaptors etc, and where you got them at, it would be much appreciated. I think I want a bigger FMIC on mine when I get it.

Thanks!!
Matt
That article was not accurate as far as mpg's go. that mpg loop was with 11,000 feet of negative elevation change, haha. The tune he has is the same as what I have, or at least close. I'll try to get the part numbers and such for the couplers and such. The intercooler is just a Focus RS Rev9 unit. With it, couplers and shipping I think I am in to it for $380ish. Couplers are 2.75" to 2.25" reducers, and then the joiners are just short 2.25" joiners. I got all of those off of siliconeintakes.com.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That article was not accurate as far as mpg's go. that mph loop was with 11,000 feet of negative elevation change, haha. The tune he has is the same as what I have, or at least close. I'll try to get the part numbers and such for the couplers and such. The intercooler is just a Focus RS Rev9 unit. With it, couplers and shipping I think I am in to it for $380ish. Couplers are 2.75" to 2.25" reducers, and then the joiners are just short 2.25" joiners. I got all of those off of siliconeintakes.com.
Thank you!! I just screen shot that, and will look at your mounting pix to get an idea of the brackets

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you!! I just screen shot that, and will look at your mounting pix to get an idea of the brackets
I have some better pics on my phone I think, but I have zero reception on my phone where I am. I can post more pics when I can, and you will get a better Idea of what I did. Also, it really depends on the intercooler you buy, as I had to drill a couple holes in the mounting tabs on this intercooler to adapt my brackets.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have some better pics on my phone I think, but I have zero reception on my phone where I am. I can post more pics when I can, and you will get a better Idea of what I did. Also, it really depends on the intercooler you buy, as I had to drill a couple holes in the mounting tabs on this intercooler to adapt my brackets.
I will likely buy the same one you have, and figure something out for mounting, but at least I have a better idea with your pix. Thanks again for sharing.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm just a garage builder. I'm just sharing my backwoods work with everyone so they can see that you can do this stuff yourself, or possibly with some friends if you don't have a welder....

I also will not sell anything, as the last person who tried that was told they have to become a paying sponsor of the site. I'm not doing this to make money, I want to see some fast Mav's, that's all!!!
I know all these new electrics are all zipity doo da but really a lil Maverick truck that runs 12s and can top out over 140 would be so freaking cool. Ultimate daily driver!

OP
OP
Dueces

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here are some petter pics, somewhat, lol.

The bolted lower mount will get fully welded at some point. It all needs to come back apart for a little more trimming anyway.

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220605_164547

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220605_164556

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220606_171518

Ford Maverick Project QuikRik. My Velocity Blue XL AWD Performance build 20220606_171523
Sponsored