First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have seen similar things on youtube. I saw one guy who got some aluminum U chanel he attached to the sides and he just slides the plywood into it.

https://shedheads.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/DIY-640x480.jpg
That's a cool idea for a homebrew cover. I'd use at least 1/2" over the 1/4" suggested above but it could work. It could be quite secure if done properly. Only downside is you would have to drill holes to screw the channel into place and it would reduce the bed width from above.
Sponsored

Minimoto7

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Truxedo pro X15 roll up tonneau cover can be had for $539.00 I put 1 one my Colorado and love it's super low profile

Have you ever used this in snow conditions? Curious how this type of cover holds up to say 6" of snow on it

AdventureSetterland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking I could buy a sheet of 1/4 in plywood (not pressboard) and treat it with Thompsons water seal. Then get some type of Vinyl or Naugahyde black of course and stretch it over the plywood. I would put some eye hooks facing down so I could bungee cord it to one of the many hooks found in the XLT LUX bed. I don't think it would be too heavy for one person to lift off. I would generally use it in the fall to keep the leaves out and in the winter to keep the snow out. I really don't want to spend 1000 to 2000 for a bed cover.

Do you think that would work???
There likely will be cheaper aftermarket options. a lund Tri fold for a different truck I had was around 300.

I would likely go that route were it me, but If I was attempting to build something, diy camper builds use a thing called poor mans fiberglass (fabric, waterproof wood glue and multiple coats of paint put on something like a thin sheet of plywood) is something I might explore.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was thinking I could buy a sheet of 1/4 in plywood (not pressboard) and treat it with Thompsons water seal. Then get some type of Vinyl or Naugahyde black of course and stretch it over the plywood. I would put some eye hooks facing down so I could bungee cord it to one of the many hooks found in the XLT LUX bed. I don't think it would be too heavy for one person to lift off. I would generally use it in the fall to keep the leaves out and in the winter to keep the snow out. I really don't want to spend 1000 to 2000 for a bed cover.

My dad and I built one for my 1990 Ford Ranger. Looked nice and much cheaper than buying one. Only thing is if you need to haul something you need to take it off and leave it at the house. Mine was not built/designed to fold. I honestly am thinking of doing the same for my Maverick.

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DIY is what a pickup is all about is it not? Ford is even encouraging it with the Maverick. I say as long as whatever you make is safe to the public (no risk of it flying off etc.) go nuts and make whatever you like! I'll be doing the DIY, in-bed bike rack and other DIY mods myself.
Trust me the aftermarket covers are no more or less safe than most homemade ones, I work for my states highway department, and we find caps and bed covers pretty regular.
In fact the trifold cover on my Nissan Frontier was found on the side of the Highway, not a scratch on it.
My advice is to not trust the factory attachments, add a short bungee cord to all four corners.

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Tri fold for 259.00 just came back in stock. Ordered today.

Tonneau Cover | RealTruck
https://realtruck.com/p/gator-sfx-tri-fold-tonneau-cover/gxt-61322/
Thanks for sharing the link. Never been a fan of bed covers but the ease of installation and removal has me thinking. The cost has me really thinking. Appreciate the information, my Maverick will be delivered in a few weeks. Adding the Falken Wildpeaks first order of business but this cover might follow in short order. Some concerns about heavy wet snow but I guess that I can just remove it.
Hmmm, definitely got me thinking.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Trust me the aftermarket covers are no more or less safe than most homemade ones, I work for my states highway department, and we find caps and bed covers pretty regular.
In fact the trifold cover on my Nissan Frontier was found on the side of the Highway, not a scratch on it.
My advice is to not trust the factory attachments, add a short bungee cord to all four corners.
Why people leave their caps and covers by the highway? 🤔🤔

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
One of The great aspects of the MAV concept is it’s adaptability. I am certainly a DIY guy - Built one of my studios all by myself, and two Experimental aircraft - but when it comes to my vehicle, my feelings change. I could envision doing all kinds of clever small things to this truck, but when it comes to the larger core aspects, like a bed cover, I want the fit and convenience of a well-designed commercial product. I’m not a customizer per-se’ - I wouldn’t bother with some of the details some owners are altering, but something like a plywood bed cover on my new truck - even though it’s actually a work truck, reminds me of those pickups you occasionally see that have hand-made miniature wood-shingled mini-houses fitted to the bed. I am impressed by the craft and the ingenuity, but I couldn’t imagine attaching something like that to my carefully chosen ride. But hey….this is America! BTW - I take offense at the redneck comment. If you haven’t noticed…..America is now also a country of INCLUSION.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Probably 40 years ago, I made a plywood cover for my Courier, and it worked out well. The Courier had tie-downs on the exterior, so it was easy to hold in position.

Like mentioned above, I'd probably use 1/2".

HRG

Bash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have you ever used this in snow conditions? Curious how this type of cover holds up to say 6" of snow on it
I wonder how roll roofing would do.

Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder how roll roofing would do.
That was my first thought too. Get some EPDM roll on or sheets and boom. Water safe for years!

Bash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That was my first thought too. Get some EPDM roll on or sheets and boom. Water safe for years!
Probably would have a hard time ensuring things in the bed don't get wet though. Because of the edges.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yes will work. Look up woodworking supply to find source for "Baltic Birch Plywood" 60"x60" x 1/8" 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" 3/4" thickness (not cheap 3/4" sheet probably around $125.00). One site good for information = https://www.woodworkerssource.com
Or page:
https://www.woodworkerssource.com/b...-birch-plywood-why-its-better-when-to-use-it/
Also the cheapest may be to go to habitat donation store and buy hollow core doors and cut down to sizes you need. This will require putting blocks into cut edges to get solid edge for strength and glue surface. Would be 1 3/8" or 1 3/4" thick depending on doors you buy. Wood portion of top this way could be $20+ depending on doors you find. Should be able to find wood working friend(?)!

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why people leave their caps and covers by the highway? 🤔🤔
They fly off the vehicle at highway speed because they are not properly secured.
same can be said for Kayaks, life jackets(by the hundreds), beach towels, anything left in a trailered boat, or the back of a pick up.
Sponsored