POOR MANS TONNEAU COVER w/ Plywood

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was thinking I could buy a sheet of 1/4 in plywood (not pressboard) and treat it with Thompsons water seal. Then get some type of Vinyl or Naugahyde black of course and stretch it over the plywood. I would put some eye hooks facing down so I could bungee cord it to one of the many hooks found in the XLT LUX bed. I don't think it would be too heavy for one person to lift off. I would generally use it in the fall to keep the leaves out and in the winter to keep the snow out. I really don't want to spend 1000 to 2000 for a bed cover.

Do you think that would work???
Sponsored

OP
OP
rclee

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I posted this and went back to the forum to look for "whats new" posts and someone else posted about the Truxedo roll up bed cover. Now if you can get a maverick roll up for 299.00 I wont bother making my plywood version. I'm sure the Truxedo will look way better than what I would bodge together :)

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It looks like there are aftermarket covers for the Ranger in the ~275 range. I imagine once the Maverick is launched, there will be options that are much cheaper than the factory cover and easier to use than a piece of plywood.

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was thinking I could buy a sheet of 1/4 in plywood (not pressboard) and treat it with Thompsons water seal. Then get some type of Vinyl or Naugahyde black of course and stretch it over the plywood. I would put some eye hooks facing down so I could bungee cord it to one of the many hooks found in the XLT LUX bed. I don't think it would be too heavy for one person to lift off. I would generally use it in the fall to keep the leaves out and in the winter to keep the snow out. I really don't want to spend 1000 to 2000 for a bed cover.

The bed is several inches wider than a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood...

Sponsored

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Buying a brand new truck and then trying to “poor mans” something don’t really go together. Don’t buy a brand new vehicle if you can’t afford a tonneau cover.
There's other reasons to buy a new truck than how it looks.
If people want to save a few bucks and make something functional for cheaper it's up to them.
Having a plywood cover could allow you to attach things to the top really easily without drilling through metal. Also very easy to swap out different options quickly.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Truxedo pro X15 roll up tonneau cover can be had for $539.00 I put 1 one my Colorado and love it's super low profile

Sponsored

Canis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VWs
DIY is what a pickup is all about is it not? Ford is even encouraging it with the Maverick. I say as long as whatever you make is safe to the public (no risk of it flying off etc.) go nuts and make whatever you like! I'll be doing the DIY, in-bed bike rack and other DIY mods myself.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One thing you might try doing (if you are a little more advanced DIY) is try and find a used tonneau cover, since they go pretty cheap (frequently see them going $150-$200) and cut it down for the Maverick. Most of the hard ones are just aluminum or FRP and cut easily enough with the right jigsaw blades.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buying a brand new truck and then trying to “poor mans” something don’t really go together. Don’t buy a brand new vehicle if you can’t afford a tonneau cover.
Poor man something?

Have you seen the price the lumber these days? Hahahahaha.

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1

That thing will take sail at about 75 mph and kill someone. You will have to anchor it down with metal hardware.

Grady

First Name
Grady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5

Don't be a redneck, order a cover or do without
Sponsored