Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick hybrid XLT fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Are you guys using Blue Ox or Roadmaster base plates? I need to get mine ready for Fall excursion to see Fall Foliage in New England, but for some reason cannot decide on whether to have the bottom portion of grill removed for Roadmaster or have the bumper cut for Blue Ox. Just wish there was a third alternative that did not require modifications.
I had my lower valance/bumper replaced with the FX4. It has the opening for toad equipment and I'm using Blue Ox. It dosent interfere with the shutters.
Sponsored

Palms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mercedes GLC; 23 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had my lower valance/bumper replaced with the FX4. It has the opening for toad equipment and I'm using Blue Ox. It dosent interfere with the shutters.
Me three!

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On page 287 of the Owners Manual it says you CANNOT recreational tow a FWD or AWD gasoline with all four wheels on the ground because .... BUT for the Hybrid "you can tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground under the following conditions" and then leads you through what to do. It DOES say "do not exceed 70 mph."
Have fun vacationing!!!

tarpkir

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question regarding the odometer: Since, in theory, the engine is not running (even though it looks like the electric motors are working hard) does the odometer register mileage on a trip while acting as a toad? So, if the Maverick gets towed 500 miles does that additional mileage register on the odometer?

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question regarding the odometer: Since, in theory, the engine is not running (even though it looks like the electric motors are working hard) does the odometer register mileage on a trip while acting as a toad? So, if the Maverick gets towed 500 miles does that additional mileage register on the odometer?

Why do you say the motors are working? The truck is in neutral to tow...

Sponsored

Palms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mercedes GLC; 23 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Up to now, no added miles. Not ever on any other
it doesn’t and hasn’t in any toad I’ve ever had.

tarpkir

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@AutobahnSHO
"Why do you say the motors are working? The truck is in neutral to tow..."

I have no personal knowledge of the inner workings of the hybrid drive train, other than what I've read. (I'm still waiting for delivery; heading towards day 600) But, it seems GPSman does know the mechanics of the system and says that the motors are turning whenever the vehicle is moving, whether via ICE, being towed, or coasting down hill. Read his posts on page one.

Quoting GPSman:
Here's a dirty little secret no one wants to talk about.
There is no mechanical neutral.
Just an electrically simulated neutral.
Oh ya, gears are spinning and motors and generators are a turning while in simulated neutral mode.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Spinning to me is not the same as "working".

But I'm no electrical/ mechanical engineer.... :D

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
Penndavis

Penndavis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Penn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you guys using Blue Ox or Roadmaster base plates? I need to get mine ready for Fall excursion to see Fall Foliage in New England, but for some reason cannot decide on whether to have the bottom portion of grill removed for Roadmaster or have the bumper cut for Blue Ox. Just wish there was a third alternative that did not require modifications.
I went with blue ox because I didn’t want to mess with the shutters. Though I was pleased with the bumper fascia cutouts my installer did, I ended up buying a Maverick FX4 bumber fascia and modifying it.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...per-on-my-lariat-for-blue-ox-base-pate.29271/

robbyrob

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
what about a CARSULE - A Pop-Up Cabin for your Car

OP
OP
Penndavis

Penndavis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Penn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pros and cons of every method.
The hybrid has so much complexity. Electrical complexity for one.
I'm about to give some of you nightmares. Sorry. I feel I should justify my recommendation not to tow 4 wheels down.

It has to "stay awake" to "stay in neutral" so it is consuming power the whole time it is on the hitch. It is unknown what will happen if the battery dies or heaven forbid a battery wire bounces loose while in motion as a Toad. Probably nothing spectacular, but this is untested. Power is needed to move the parking pawl. So it "probably" won't be able to go into park with a dead battery. What if you tow your toad a really long time? I'm sure you've read you have to start and run the truck engine once every 6 hours. Some people report they have to do this every 4-5 hours to keep the battery up.

Then what if you forget to re-establish tow mode through all the button presses each time? Lots of opportunity for human error. Lots of opportunity for dead batteries too. The starting every six hours is a requirement to lubricate the moving parts, and to recharge the batteries.

Here's a dirty little secret no one wants to talk about.
There is no mechanical neutral.
Just an electrically simulated neutral.
Oh ya, gears are spinning and motors and generators are a turning while in simulated neutral mode.

In fact, at 80 MPH you are spinning your hybrid motors 10,000 RPM while towing it front wheels down! (Yes I have the video to prove it.)

The wheels, eCVT, motors, and generator are all ATTACHED AND CONTINUOUSLY IN MESH.
It's one feature that makes it reliable and gracefully simple and smooth to operate. But you are doing the exact same amount of mechanical wear and tear towing it, as driving it, gas engine excepted.

If you want to tow 4 flat, don't you want something simple, that can be dead cold in the water electrically for your whole trip, with a mechanical disconnect like a Jeep or something?

Disclaimer: I am a Hybrid geek, having had Ford Hybrid since 2005. But I must disclose I have never towed a hybrid 4 flat. I'm just really uncomfortable with the process involved. Let me put some short videos together that may surprise some of you.
If Installed correctly, your equipment list will include a [edit:] trickle charger installed under the hood powered by your 7 pin adapter that will maintain your batteries charge. Additionally, you’re only going 3 hours or so at a time (at most) before stopping and allowing you to make sure everything is in order. My brake assist product also comes with a remote sensor that sits on my dash that lets me know the brake system is active. If I were to lose power, I would know immediately. But, like with everything, it works like it’s supposed to until it doesn’t. l’m hoping that the doesn’t work correctly part never comes.

Last edited:

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@AutobahnSHO
(I'm still waiting for delivery; heading towards day 600)
It is unacceptable for a car company to make a person wait this long for an auto that others received in my case half that time, and others 1/4 that time.

OP
OP
Penndavis

Penndavis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Penn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure physically pumping the brake pedal wakes up the car, ignition key or no ignition key.

I just read one article (top of the google list) that says Hybrids are most difficult to manage and almost always you need a direct connect vacuum line system. This may be one reason people's batteries are dying?

My mind is getting blown on this... because still, aren't you folks with a toad sending 12v (14v) power to the Maverick also so the brake lamps don't drain the battery?

But I do think, in any case, the hybrid will use a lot of power, brakes, lamps, computers, wifi, modem, all that while being towed. Sounds like not a good candidate for a Toad. 🤷🏻‍♂️
yes, so for mine, the power is plugged in by the tow kit connection. This goes to a trickle charger (I erroneously said inverter yesterday) and then on to my brake system and light wiring. My brake system I went with was the demco stay in play duo. I’m uploading some pics to show the demco system under the hood with the trickle charger, the on/off of the system and the remote control from my rig that illuminates when connected.

Ford Maverick Our summer trip with new Maverick Toad image

Sponsored