First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can see paying a few grand over msrp as the new 2024 would cost about the same. BUT never 8 or even 10 k above. That puts you well into the mid size truck pricing. My current car a Ford Ecosport is way better equipped like Push start , satellite radio, Power heated seats, moonroof, keyless entry which I will really miss I never touch the key fob now. So while the mav is nice its NOT 8 to 10 K higher nice.
Sponsored

Bobby Chapman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Congrats, love my 2.0 eco ,XL, atlas blue. Only took 393 days from order to pickup at dealer, but again love the Maverick.

CONGRATS AGAIN.

Bob_Snow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Took over a year and a half to get my XLT Lux. It's nicer than what I expected after reading this forum. People complain about "cheap plastic" interior, sound system, wind noise, etc. But I find the inside nice. Even like the orange accents.

I wish the infotainment screen is bigger but it's still better than looking at my phone for the map.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Cars are not depreciating assets, at least not in the last 2 years...

But agree that most toyotas are over hyped. You'll be tired of their ugliness long before they falls apart lol.
My wife had a Corolla when I met her. it only had 60,000 miles and was falling apart. I quickly got her in a Loaded AWD Fusion SEL. That was a great car. She only got rid of it because she wanted to sit higher. Traded for an Escape Titanium.

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I paid $5k over for my hybrid XLT and after a month I feel good about the purchase. Sometimes you’re a get buyers remorse but this wasn’t one of them.

Sponsored

Rolandus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry I don't understand. I have a Maverick but I ordered it early small town dealer, got it after 6 months, no markup. Last month we got interested in a rechargeable hybrid because a lot of our trips were 20-40 miles. Toyota Rav 4 Prime came into our sights. Like I have posted before, I feel Toyota's are over hyped. I found a couple both marked up $5000. That drove me to a 2023 VW ID4 all electric. Love it. Less than the Toyota. Maybe it is just my limited understanding but i never could justify paying over MSRP for a depreciating asset.
Anyone, who pays $5000 over MSRP for a Toyota gets wacked over the head double whammy time. Toyota's are already more pricey to start with, compared to Hyundai's for example, and do not come with a 10 year warranty on the drive train. The extra $5K over MSRP buys a hella lot of gas. In addition, in case you think the extra $10K for a hybrid Toyota, over a regular gas model, is worth it, keep in mind that you'll never make up the extra cost in future gas savings. Makes no financial sense! However, "if" you can score a Maverick Hybrid at MSRP, that would be the best economical new car you can buy.

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone, who pays $5000 over MSRP for a Toyota gets wacked over the head double whammy time. Toyota's are already more pricey to start with, compared to Hyundai's for example, and do not come with a 10 year warranty on the drive train. The extra $5K over MSRP buys a hella lot of gas. In addition, in case you think the extra $10K for a hybrid Toyota, over a regular gas model, is worth it, keep in mind that you'll never make up the extra cost in future gas savings. Makes no financial sense! However, "if" you can score a Maverick Hybrid at MSRP, that would be the best economical new car you can buy.
I bought my first Toyota Highlander hybrid in 2006 off the boat. I wanted a Lexus but the hype on them was too much. Had to get on a waiting list for a Lexus. Did you figure in the tax rebate in 2006 for hybrids. I sold my last Highlander Hybrid this month for a VW ID4. Wear and tear is considerably less than strictly gas. Regenerative braking saves an enormous amount on brakes. Trade or outright sale was great. All that aside many people used to tell me a hybrid would never pay for itself. 17 years of Toyota Hybrid driving saved me money. My least considered reason for buying a car is wether on not it will pay for itself. I don't think the extra (and it wasn't $10,000) was worth it, I know it was.......and I never had a car that paid for itself.

Rolandus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The average driver holds on to a car for about 8 years. The reasons are simple. Just like new furniture every 5 years or so, folks like to get something new and refreshing. Others are satisfied holding on to older stuff. Yes, if you hold on to a car for 17 years and are completely satisfied driving something that is outdated, then the initial cost of the car will have little impact on the overal savings. However, the average driver will never make up the difference in cost in gas savings over a period of 8 years, for a $10,000 premium paid toward a Toyota hybrid.

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The average driver holds on to a car for about 8 years. The reasons are simple. Just like new furniture every 5 years or so, folks like to get something new and refreshing. Others are satisfied holding on to older stuff. Yes, if you hold on to a car for 17 years and are completely satisfied driving something that is outdated, then the initial cost of the car will have little impact on the overal savings. However, the average driver will never make up the difference in cost in gas savings over a period of 8 years, for a $10,000 premium paid toward a Toyota hybrid.
I bought a 2006 Highlander Hybrid AWD Limited w/3rd row, in 2005 for 37,890, with a tax rebate of $3400, a gas only Hybrid AWD Limited w/3rd row was 31,860 for a total difference of $2630 and drove it until regretfully i treaded it on a new 4 Runner in 2013. I had about 110,000 miles on it. The 4 Runner was not what we wanted and went back to Hybrids in less than a year. Hybrid got 33/28 mpg. Regular gas Highlander AWD got 18/24. I can't find a $10,000 premium anywhere. Tax rebates went down as certain numbers of cars were sold. I actually only kept the first one for 8 years so my friends wouldn't judge by my "outdated" car.

Last edited:

Rolandus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Talking about prices today, not 17 years ago. Apples and oranges talk here. For that matter, would love to buy a home for prices from 17 years ago.

Sponsored

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Talking about prices today, not 17 years ago. Apples and oranges talk here. For that matter, would love to buy a home for prices from 17 years ago.
I bought it at 2006 prices, not todays prices. Your logic escapes me. if you want want to inflate only the premium to todays prices then do it to all the figures, not just the premium. Should i get to inflate the tax credit only in todays prices? My $2630 dollars in 2006 is worth $3945 inflated dollars today, not $10,000. I'm happy with what i did and secure and confident in my figures.

Rolandus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The logic is that your 2006 deals are no longer available to today's customers and only applies to you having benefitted holding on to the vehicle for 17 years. With that being said, today's average 8 year hold customer would not benefit paying thousands over MSRP to get an extra 10 mpg with a hybrid. Now, if you can get a Hybrid Maverick at MSRP, then you have a money saving sound decision. But, the long wait is not worth it to many car buyers.

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The logic is that your 2006 deals are no longer available to today's customers and only applies to you having benefitted holding on to the vehicle for 17 years. With that being said, today's average 8 year hold customer would not benefit paying thousands over MSRP to get an extra 10 mpg with a hybrid. Now, if you can get a Hybrid Maverick at MSRP, then you have a money saving sound decision. But, the long wait is not worth it to many car buyers.

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Read it all again. I sold it in 2013. I do agree the hybrid maverick is good deal when you get it. Mines an eco boost but I needed AWD. I still love it and it goes well with my electric VW. $7500 tax credit cause final assembly is America. Course in 17 years that credit wont be available and it will never pay for itself but thats alright I'll be dead. I can go ahead and claim my cars will last a lifetime....

Rolandus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The $7500 tax credit is great for those who qualify.
Sponsored