Sponsored

New Nitto Nomad Grappler's, and i'm on the fence...

Should I stick with my Nitto Nomad Grapplers, or should I have gotten Falken Wildpeak Trails

• Total voters

maverick4natic

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

EDIT (060223) POLL CLOSED, FINAL VERDICT BELOW!

'23 hybrid XLT.

I opted to go with the 225/65/17 Nitto nomad grappler in replacement for the conti factory tires.

I live in the snow belt so 3 peak means something to me, I like the look, but was also looking for more (bump and pothole soaking ability)

These are my first "AT" tires so i'm a little green.

My thoughts are the Nitto's have an interesting "reverberating humming" thats a touch more annoying than just tread noise. I guess its also exacerbated by the fact that its a hybrid. I'm wondering do I switch to the Falken Trails.....will it help with the "reverberating" cabin noise or do I just grin and bear it for the look and capability.

Ford Maverick New Nitto Nomad Grappler's, and i'm on the fence... FC_20230525_0162

Ford Maverick New Nitto Nomad Grappler's, and i'm on the fence... FC_20230525_0164

Ford Maverick New Nitto Nomad Grappler's, and i'm on the fence... IMG_6768.JPG

EDIT (060223) POLL CLOSED, FINAL VERDICT!

Switched to the
FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T Trail in 225/65/17
Factory Size

Ford Maverick New Nitto Nomad Grappler's, and i'm on the fence... IMG_6843.JPG

Literal NIGHT/DAY difference. NO more humming or reverberation at any speed and also no vibration. NOTE: this wasn't a steering wheel vibration such as a mis-alignment, but like a full truck vibration from the tread. I also tried them at factory 35psi and also up to 40psi without any change.

Not sure if I got a BAD batch of Grapplers? I really can't say but my experience of being on the fence and unsure of my purchase perhaps just grin and bearing it since its an A/T tire.....totally gone with the Falken's, they are perfect on the road and give a great look.

FINAL VERDICT: I should have just stuck with what everyone else was putting on the MAV but luckily Discount Tires warranty allowed me to give the NITTO's a shot, yes the FALKEN's are another $100+ more but with 65k mile warranty and perfect ride, worth it in my book.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Post a picture of the Nittos, currious how they look in the stock size.

mdl20813

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

ATs just tend to be noisier in general so I'm not sure switching to the Trails would buy you anything. Have you taken them back to who put them on to check the balancing, etc? I've loved my 245/65 Nomads and they are significantly quieter than the full Toyo OCIII ATs I had prior to them.

I'd also check the pressure and use an online calculator to make sure it is correct for the tires (more to it than just the range listed on the door tag). May not matter in your case since you stayed in the stock size. My Nittos were overinflated for their specs when installed and rode really firm. As soon as I adjusted, they rode much more comfortably and were excellent in snow and rain all spring.

OP
OP
maverick4natic

maverick4natic

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

ATs just tend to be noisier in general so I'm not sure switching to the Trails would buy you anything. Have you taken them back to who put them on to check the balancing, etc? I've loved my 245/65 Nomads and they are significantly quieter than the full Toyo OCIII ATs I had prior to them.

I'd also check the pressure and use an online calculator to make sure it is correct for the tires (more to it than just the range listed on the door tag). My Nittos were overinflated for their specs when installed and rode really firm. As soon as I adjusted, they rode much more comfortably and were excellent in snow and rain all spring.
Installed at Discount Tire.

I actually bumped them up to 40psi since more of the "tread" seamed to be laying down on the pavement at lower psi, then again the installed pressures where all over the board.

I may lower them back to the 35psi the truck suggests and see.

Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Dude, if you bought them, I'd at least run them out, unless Discount Tire has some kind of money-back guarantee under a certain number of miles driven.

As others noted, AT tires are going to be noisier than pure pavement treads. But I don't notice any bothersome amount of noise with my 245/70/17 Firestone Destination AT2s.

Falken Wildpeaks are a great tire. We have them on my wife's Tremor. Seem pretty quiet. But I am a big fan of "cheap tires," and I ran Ironman ATs on my old SUV for years and thought they were pretty great too...

dags1207

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco | 2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Lots of good feedback in here already. I personally love the Falken. We have been running the more aggresive Wildpeak AT3W on my wife's Santa Fe and they are amazing.

brettpep

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For a hybrid, consider Nokian Outpost APT. Perfect balance of agressive tread and real world drivability.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dude, if you bought them, I'd at least run them out, unless Discount Tire has some kind of money-back guarantee under a certain number of miles driven.

As others noted, AT tires are going to be noisier than pure pavement treads. But I don't notice any bothersome amount of noise with my 245/70/17 Firestone Destination AT2s.

Falken Wildpeaks are a great tire. We have them on my wife's Tremor. Seem pretty quiet. But I am a big fan of "cheap tires," and I ran Ironman ATs on my old SUV for years and thought they were pretty great too...
Discount and most tire manufactures has 30 day satisfaction exchange. If you purchased discounts "certificates" there may be additional options. I once had hydroplaning with about 6/32" tread and got unused tread wear adjustment on replacement set.

DryFlyGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayenne
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Nomad Grapplers on my ’23 FX4 Lariat. I am impressed with how well they handled deep snow, slush, and heavy moisture on the road. I also think they are very quiet for an AT tire on pavement. I think if you adjust your air pressure correctly, you will find a sweet spot for comfort. Some pavement surfaces can be a bit noisier than other paved surfaces. Maybe try driving other paved roads in your area to see if there is a difference. I have a friend who has Falken Widlpeak Trails (certainly a good tire as well) on his Tacoma. I don’t think they are as quiet as my Nittos on pavement.

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will be going with Firestone Destination A/T2 with my hybrid! On my wife's Bronco Sport I will be going with Falken WildPeak A/T3W. Be going with 235/65R17 on both vehicles.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

EDIT (060223) POLL CLOSED, FINAL VERDICT BELOW!

'23 hybrid XLT.

I opted to go with the 225/65/17 Nitto nomad grappler in replacement for the conti factory tires.

I live in the snow belt so 3 peak means something to me, I like the look, but was also looking for more (bump and pothole soaking ability)

These are my first "AT" tires so i'm a little green.

My thoughts are the Nitto's have an interesting "reverberating humming" thats a touch more annoying than just tread noise. I guess its also exacerbated by the fact that its a hybrid. I'm wondering do I switch to the Falken Trails.....will it help with the "reverberating" cabin noise or do I just grin and bear it for the look and capability.

FC_20230525_0162.jpg

FC_20230525_0164.jpg

IMG_6768.JPG

EDIT (060223) POLL CLOSED, FINAL VERDICT!

Switched to the
FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T Trail in 225/65/17
Factory Size

IMG_6843.JPG

Literal NIGHT/DAY difference. NO more humming or reverberation at any speed and also no vibration. NOTE: this wasn't a steering wheel vibration such as a mis-alignment, but like a full truck vibration from the tread. I also tried them at factory 35psi and also up to 40psi without any change.

Not sure if I got a BAD batch of Grapplers? I really can't say but my experience of being on the fence and unsure of my purchase perhaps just grin and bearing it since its an A/T tire.....totally gone with the Falken's, they are perfect on the road and give a great look.

FINAL VERDICT: I should have just stuck with what everyone else was putting on the MAV but luckily Discount Tires warranty allowed me to give the NITTO's a shot, yes the FALKEN's are another $100+ more but with 65k mile warranty and perfect ride, worth it in my book.
Glad it all worked out in the end. Good report.

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Ram 3500, Honda Odyssey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I like the look of your tires. Looks like you still have plenty of space. Impact on MPG?

OP
OP
maverick4natic

maverick4natic

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I like the look of your tires. Looks like you still have plenty of space. Impact on MPG?
Honestly I don't track MPG religiously. I drive 50miles a day commute and I'm averaging 39mpg over 3-4k miles.

Not sure how the tires will impact i'm sure negligible 1-2mpg. For me the year round capability, in the wet and in seasonal snow is worth it.
Sponsored