2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey folks,

I've managed to snag someone's cancelled order on lease. I'm pretty excited, I've never had a new vehicle before!

Can anyone give me any tips as a new vehicle owner?

Also, and I'm not mechanically minded, I read on here someone mention to 'break in the engine'. What does that mean?

Thanks.
Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Let us know the engine you have.

Search here too. Plenty of info . Plenty of different opinions as well. Good luck!

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I took it as drive like a “grandma” for the first 1,000 miles.

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
Congrats! It's a GREAT experience!
Enjoy the smell. It's one of the best parts.
Have fun, and do your best to not worry.
Enjoy knowing that it hasn't been in a flood.
Enjoy knowing that it hasn't been in a wreck.
You can baby it but don't be afraid of it. Your truck wants you to be happy.
Brakes and tires need about 500 miles before they work at 100%.
Engines probably last longer and use less oil if you keep the revs mostly below 4,000 and don't tow stuff for the first 1000 miles - like Clarkdonbran said.
Nobody likes reading the manual, but try to actually read some of it (533 pages!!!)
Enjoy the chats on this site.
Realize people like me might be full of crap, so factor in your own common sense.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Take care of your new car. Get a trash container and put all trash in it. Keep the car clean and put a good coat of wax on it. Get the oil changed according to the vehicle specifications. Buy a hand held vacuum to clean the floors. Park away from other cars. Be careful when parking so you don’t damage the wheels.

If you didn’t pay cash, be prepared to pay for it every month until the truck is paid off.

Don’t get suckered into buying all the add on items the finance guy will throw at you

Enjoy your new truck.

Sponsored

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Take care of your truck and it will take care of you.

Follow the maintenance directions. When that change oil light comes on, change it.

If you take care of your truck there is absolutely no reason it won't last you for more than a decade.

cannon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey folks,

I've managed to snag someone's cancelled order on lease. I'm pretty excited, I've never had a new vehicle before!

Can anyone give me any tips as a new vehicle owner?

Also, and I'm not mechanically minded, I read on here someone mention to 'break in the engine'. What does that mean?

Thanks.
I broke mine in the same way I do motorcycles. I took it easy (mostly, aside from my test drive) for the first 900 miles then up to 1000, got on it a few times but nothing crazy then had my oil changed. A lot of people will tell you that early oil change is unnecessary but mine was pretty nasty when it got drained, seems like cheap insurance since I can see myself keeping this truck a long time. Given that you're leasing, if you already plan on upgrading in a few years I wouldn't bother thinking about breaking it in.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The best advice I can give to a new vehicle owner is don’t treat it like a used car. Immediately when you get the car, wash it by hand and wax it. Liquid spray wax is fine. I recommend Griot’s Garage Best of Show Wax. Simply spray on the paint and wipe with a microfiber towel. Do that every other wash.

I also recommend all weather floor mats. The Maverick’s carpet seems to attract and trap dust and dirt.

If you live in a hot climate, invest in a good sun shade to keep the vehicle cool in the summer and protect the dashboard and touchscreen. You can also have the front windshield lightly tinted with a good quality ceramic tint. 3M or Xpel are good tints.

Other than that, just follow the recommended maintenance for the car. Don’t floor it for longer than 2 seconds for the first 750 miles.

OP
OP

Drip_Drop

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Let us know the engine you have.

Search here too. Plenty of info . Plenty of different opinions as well. Good luck!
Hi, I got the EcoBoost, I would have loved the Hybrid but like most, I had to settle. Thank you!

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It will get dented or scratched. Try not to cry when it happens

Sponsored

deckmt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E --> 2023 EB AWD Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am no mechanic, but this advice makes sense to me. I have read new vehicles these days do not require the same break-in as older vehicles, but I think any and all TLC will make any vehicle last longer.

I had my oil changed at 1,000 miles. Was it necessary? Perhaps not, but it certainly could not hurt.

Note that the advice given by mike1964 should also increase your gas mileage ... slow start-ups and anticipate your stops by letting off gas sooner and coming to a gentle stop.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Imagine you will see various personal recommendations. #1 A Good Maintenance Routine. As for "my personal" ones, change the oil and oil filter every 5,000 miles and use a full synthetic oil that meets all of Ford's specifications (there's numerous good brands, for me I use Castrol). Keep a check on all your fluids, tire air pressures, rotate your tires at each oil change, check your air filter several times a year - replace as needed. The owners manual will mention the major things. Congrats on your new truck. Think you will really like it.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh also, find you a good local shop that can do your (non warranty) maintenance like oil changes and tire rotations. For ME, I don't put much faith in the quick oil change joints. The dealers normally use a blended oil. Whatever oil brand you choose to go with, Stick With It. Different brands can use different detergents, etc in the oil and you shouldn't mix all that up, there will always be some left in the engine. Also for ME, use a Ford oil filter, if not available then WIX brand. Again, all this is my choices, others may or may not agree. Go with what works for YOU.
Sponsored